Questions on 6" Lift/36" tires/gear ratio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions on 6" Lift/36" tires/gear ratio

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Questions on 6" Lift/36" tires/gear ratio

I purchased a 1998 TJ 4.0 5spd saturday trying to choose a 6" lift. My Jeep will see 85% street 15% off road wich just consist of trail riding w/alittle mud/water crossing nothing major Im planning on running 36" super swampers (because I already have them off my YJ) Ive done research and the RC 6" lift is in my budget I relize I will need sye cv shaft / and gears.

My questions are does the long arm really ride that much better than the short arm? Also will a 4.88 gear be a big enough?

Any Comments will be appreciated thanks

dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

1) Yes the long arms do ride that much better, however, the shock makes way more difference in ride quality. the RC ones don't cut it, been there, done that.

2) with your 4.0, yes the 4.88s are the ticket, you can't go higher unless you got the D44 in front too...

comments) the RC kit need different shocks, and better arms. There is a company that makes arms and mounts that work with the RC long arm kit, to make "it right"
you will need to address the steering linkages, stock won't cut it for 36"s, brakes for that matter too on the street, especially with those swampers, but you already know their street maners (and the fact that they weigh way too much!)

I won't knock the RC stuff like most, I've run them, both YJ, and TJ, but my rock runner kit is night and day above in every regaurds, and the newer lifts out on the market are both cheaper and better than mine! (clayton, and the like)

hope that helps, and makes many more question
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't you be able to clear your 36's with a decent 4" lift (short or long arm) and maybe a 1.25" BL? Don't forget a 1" MML as well so you don't have a belly drop.

4.88s for your gear selection.

As Texas YJ meantioned above, you may want to look into adressing upgrading steering and brakes too.
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I really wanted to steer away from a BL I dont really like the way they look and didnt wanna have to install two lifts but I am considering it
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
Wouldn't you be able to clear your 36's with a decent 4" lift (short or long arm) and maybe a 1.25" BL? Don't forget a 1" MML as well so you don't have a belly drop.

4.88s for your gear selection.

As Texas YJ meantioned above, you may want to look into adressing upgrading steering and brakes too.
Might be a dumb question, but Im new to the TJ what is the 1"MML consist of?
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs27 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but Im new to the TJ what is the 1"MML consist of?
Either blocks to go under your stock motor mounts or full replacement taller motor mounts (and hardware).
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Either blocks to go under your stock motor mounts or full replacement taller motor mounts (and hardware).
What does that do just change the drive angle?
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

while you can use them to change the driveline angle, the better use of them of to also lift the tranny/skid plate. clearance under the TC skid (the lowest part of your tub) is the goal, also called a 'belly up' there are guys on here that have very capable rigs running 37" tires and only 2 1/2" lift, very stable!
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

Unread 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I guess I need to do more research
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
while you can use them to change the driveline angle, the better use of them of to also lift the tranny/skid plate. clearance under the TC skid (the lowest part of your tub) is the goal, also called a 'belly up'
Unless you are doing something like a Savvy UA where the TT bracket mounts as part of the MML they aren't necessary for TTs. BLs on the other hand are often necessary for TTs and it is true that people often do the MML in conjunction with a BL to maintain the consistent relationship between things like the fan and the shroud or the tub and the transfer case (so as not to mess up shift linkage), but its not required.

Now if you don't have an engine skid at all then a MML will at least get the oil pan up a little higher out of the rocks.

And they also help a little with driveline angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
there are guys on here that have very capable rigs running 37" tires and only 2 1/2" lift, very stable!
A TT goes to clearance under the belly, not what size tire you can run with what lift. That is a separate issue.
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
dubs27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Unless you are doing something like a Savvy UA where the TT bracket mounts as part of the MML they aren't necessary for TTs. BLs on the other hand are often necessary for TTs and it is true that people often do the MML in conjunction with a BL to maintain the consistent relationship between things like the fan and the shroud or the tub and the transfer case (so as not to mess up shift linkage), but its not required.

Now if you don't have an engine skid at all then a MML will at least get the oil pan up a little higher out of the rocks.

And they also help a little with driveline angle.

A TT goes to clearance under the belly, not what size tire you can run with what lift. That is a separate issue.
Well Im not really worried about clearance I live in the south never seen anywhere in my neck of the woods for rock crawling exept for dirt hills. The hardest thing we have around here in the trails are mud or deep water crossings. I mostly am gooing for looks and to keep the motor out of the water Im also looking into a sorkel. Thanks for everyones responses
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you biffgnar, you explained what I was trying to say much better

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.