Question on trimming fender flares? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on trimming fender flares?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Question on trimming fender flares?

For those of you who trimmed your fender flares. Did you trim a portion of the inner part of the flare also? I trimmed the outside one inch and noticed that at the bottom of the flare, near the door, I could see the inner portion of the flare. There is also a small portion near the top I can see. Should I cut this also? Thanks in advance.

Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...-today-678954/
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks but still didnt answer my question. I have looked at several of these threads and no one mentions it, so I guess they just leave it alone. I will too, I tend to ovethink things sometimes.
Unread 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Zembonez
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe a pic of what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cadillac
Canada has 4 seasons...Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
thanks but still didnt answer my question. I have looked at several of these threads and no one mentions it, so I guess they just leave it alone. I will too, I tend to ovethink things sometimes.
If ya look through all the pics it certainly appears no one is messing with any of the inner portion, only the outer.
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
batjeep13
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I understand what you are talking about. I started to trim my rear fenders and didn't think I would be satisfied with the inner part going past the trimmed part.
I just trimmed the front and it is barely noticable.

red circles show the inner fender portion that you are talking about

hope this helps

[I][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Silver"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/JFI"][COLOR="Gray"]JFI[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [COLOR="Silver"]Member #5[/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/batjeep-build-808350/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Black"]B[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="black"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="Yellow"]j[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="black"]e[/COLOR][COLOR="yellow"]e[/COLOR][COLOR="black"]p[/COLOR] [COLOR="black"]build[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/U]
batjeep13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly, thanks. That portion has a lip on it which I believe is supposed to be a guide and rests along the inner fender wall. My stock flares dont seem to touch it however, so its not so much a guide as it is a guideline, where mud an rocks can rest. I will post some pics here shortly. Working graves and teaching college on the side, so I'm only working on it in short sessions.
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't want to cut the flares that came on my RME so I picked up a set off Craigslist for 75 bucks.
Heres the tools I used.

I cut the stock flares 1 inch using the wood block guide for marking and then used my Rotozip, with a hard cutoff wheel to cut. I then used the little drum sander to even everything out and a razor blade to shave off some interior plastic that was showing. I used the torch to melt the very minute shavings left by the sanding. While torching there were several small scratches in the plastic I used the torch to melt the scratches by patiently heating and cooling it. Hopefully paint will cover the scratches.

heres the Jeep before:

tommorrow I will paint with Krylon Fusion Satin Black
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
saddis
2003 WJ 

I just cut a 1.75'' out of mine two weeks ago and repainted at the same time. I didn't cut the inside either but it's not really noticeable.
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
batjeep13
2003 TJ Wrangler 

anxious to see the final product

[I][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Silver"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/JFI"][COLOR="Gray"]JFI[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [COLOR="Silver"]Member #5[/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/batjeep-build-808350/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Black"]B[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="black"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="Black"][COLOR="Yellow"]j[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="black"]e[/COLOR][COLOR="yellow"]e[/COLOR][COLOR="black"]p[/COLOR] [COLOR="black"]build[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/U]
batjeep13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got the front flares off with no problem. The rears are being a PITA. The machine screws are stripped at the midpoint and just spin so I have to put needle nose pliers under the screw and pull and ratchet at the same time. Anyone have any other suggestion cause I just quit for tonight, my fingers got sore and I have 6 more to go. Meanwhile, the cut flares are painted and ready to go on. For those who have done this did you put any kind of clearcoat on them?
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, got the old ones off and the new (to me) on. The rears were a PITA till I figured out, you take out the rear fender guard then, you can get to the plastic nuts that are on the screws.
I used Rustoleun satin black for plastic because the local ACE was out of Krylon and Lowes didnt carry it.

After putting the Satin on I realized the area I sanded was coming out smoother so I put a coat of Rustoleum hammered black on thin, then finished off with a coat of Satin.

I went wheelin prior to taking pics so the flares are a bit dusty in the photos. But, here is the final product on.

Unread 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
TreeFrog1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
I went wheelin prior to taking pics so the flares are a bit dusty in the photos. But, here is the final product on.
They're REAL and they're SPECTACULAR.

Seriously, love that picture (and your results). All the best.
TreeFrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
cherokee
1990 XJ Cherokee 

where was this picture takin at
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.