Question On Shock Mount Extension Brackets... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question On Shock Mount Extension Brackets...

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
JPROBSON3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Question On Shock Mount Extension Brackets...

Rear Shock Mount Extension Brackets for an 06' Rubi. I have heard some mixed messages that after installing a 3" lift or more on your Jeep, your rear axle will rotate a bit causing the lower spring perch to make contact with your shock can. Should I be worried, its a cheap buy and install, but if its unnecessary then I wont waste my time.
cheers and thanks!

/l- [ ___ ]⎧
l--l-o-llllll-o-l
( )-( )---{}-( )

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="5"]ROKMEN[/SIZE][/COLOR]-4-Life
JPROBSON3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I had my old D35 and a RE 4.5 SA lift I got the brackets because the shocks definitely interfered with the spring perches.After the extension brackets there were no problems.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPROBSON3 View Post
Rear Shock Mount Extension Brackets for an 06' Rubi. I have heard some mixed messages that after installing a 3" lift or more on your Jeep, your rear axle will rotate a bit causing the lower spring perch to make contact with your shock can. Should I be worried, its a cheap buy and install, but if its unnecessary then I wont waste my time.
cheers and thanks!
The lift itself should not cause that problem. The axle will rotate up slightly (and you will have to counter that with a t-case drop to reduce the driveline vibes--be ready for that...) but probably not enough to cause that interference with the shocks. The problem usually occurs when you do an SYE, because then you must rotate the axle up with adjustable UCAs so that the pinion is roughly in-line with the driveshaft.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another cure to the problem is to use shocks that can be mounted can-up.
Some can and some can't.
Jim
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
markhuntsville

2006 LJ Wrangler 

CV driveshaft?

It really comes down to are you installing a SYE + CV Driveshaft? (plus upper adjustable control arms)

If yes - then you will definitely need the relocation brackets as the axle will need to be rotated pinion up to get the proper pinion angle for the CV driveshaft and hence, the buckets will rotate down and back interfering with the shocks.... I had this happen and got the extensions - problem solved.

Some say the extensions cause more issues with ground clearance, but I'm not seeing any issues.

Now, if you don't have a SYE + CV driveshaft, and hence, don't need to rotate the pinion up, you MAY not need the extensions - not guaranteed, since it really depends on the control arms you use....
markhuntsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
JPROBSON3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

To be quite honest I didn't know, I did not change my driveshaft, and have no plan to in the near future, what ever is stock in the Rubicon is what I have, the lift is a 4.5 rubi express. I only noticed a thread that guys were having problems without the extension and i am hoping I wont have one either
/l- [ ___ ]⎧
l--l-o-llllll-o-l
( )-( )---{}-( )

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="5"]ROKMEN[/SIZE][/COLOR]-4-Life

Last edited by JPROBSON3; 03-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Typo
JPROBSON3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Having a Rubi, you do not need an SYE. You already have a fixed output yoke on your t-case.

You will not need shock relocation brackets if you have stock control arms.

If you get adjustable arms and rotate the axle, that is when you might run in to shock can clearance issues.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run the extension brackets...I would of had a lot of clearance issues had I not gotten them

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Rockintjak
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I put a 4" Currie short arm lift with Rubicon Express shocks on my '06 Rubi and I mounted the shock body up. After adjusting the pinion angle, the shock body did hit the rear spring mount when I wheeled, but not while everyday driving. I ended up cutting out a small section of my rear spring mount to where the shock would clear it. It doesn't affect anything and it works fine now. I'm sure the shock extentions would work, but I went this way and it was free.
'06 Rubicon, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, Sniper fab tube fenders, Smittybilt crusher corners, custom rock sliders and front and rear bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, F&R Riddler diff covers, 33 engineering t-case skid, Rokmen gas tank skid, 2" BL, JKS MML, 35" BFG KM2's, 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RCV CV axle shafts, Currie steering, Viking top, U-pol raptor lined tub, and more to come...
Rockintjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

First off im an LJ with OMEs, RE3.5, TC Drop

I put the currie brackets on after full extension of my set up caused a slight knick in my OMEs.
The brackets fit nice but only came with one bolt so I would say grab additional bolts with smooth shanks long enough to span the area of the bracket for shock placement. Mine were pricey form ACE-$17.
As the rear droops the angle of the shock is lessened and it moves more vertical as oposed to leaning back away from the cup.
I had to lose a chunk of my exhaust too and a custom tailpipe is in mind now.

My brackets are not going anywhere but I can see them getting bashed and budging a little. They would surely take the bracket on the 44 with them too. Chance I have to take. The Claytons weld on.
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.