question regarding 4.0 swap into a 2.5l TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question regarding 4.0 swap into a 2.5l TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

question regarding 4.0 swap into a 2.5l TJ

Im getting close to swapping my 4.0 into my 99 2.5L TJ and I had a question. Since both jeeps are manuals and only a year apart, would I be able to swap just the engine instead of the whole driveline? My 4.0 is in my 2000 TJ and the 2.5L is in my 99.

Paxter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, 4.0 has a ax15 or nv3550 behind it as well as a np231 with a 23spline input shaft. Your 2.5 has a ax5 and a np231 with a 21 spline input shaft. Also, if your 4.0 is a 2000+ and your ECU is a 2000+ as well you'll have a communication problem. 97-99 used PCI and 2000 up uses CCD to communicate with the gauge cluster. There is a wealth of information on this site if you search for it. Lots have done it and some have contemplated it and decided otherwise. There are a lot of variables that will determine if the swap is worth it to YOU. In the end most will tell you that it is more cost effective to sell your tj and buy a 4.0 tj. However if you have a LOT of mods to your Jeep it may be worth your time to do the swap. I have a 03 with a 2.4 that is blown up and I am considering swapping a 4.0 because the 2.4s are ridiculously priced. However looking at what the 4.0 swap would cost, I have to consider other v8 swaps. Take this info for what you will. Good luck either way.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ouch..so my 4.0 won't even work anyway. I was also considering a v8 swap but have done zero research into that. Thanks for the info
Unread 12-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used to have a '00 with a 2.5L. I looked over the input of those much more mechanical than I, and came to the conclusion swapping to a 4.0L was not the route for me. I suggest selling and buying a Jeep with the motor you want in it. But if you swap, go V8 is the conventional wisdom.
TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I bought this 2.5l because the previous owner already did everything that I ever wanted to do to a jeep...it's just the only downside is its a 2.5l. I think if anything I'll look into swapping to a v8 and selling parts from my wrecked 4.0 donor
Unread 12-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I apologize for asking a question thats probably been asked a ton..but for some reason I cant seem to find any when I search. So, Since I have a perfectly working 4.0L-NV3550-np231 in my wrecked Jeep, I can replace the whole driveline in my 99 2.5L with my donor 4.0? The only issue I will have is with my ECM? What if I used all the wiring from my 2000 4.0 a long with my gauge cluster?

In other words I have a fully functional 2000 4.0L thats mechanically sound (minus the body and rear end) that I can use as a donor.
Unread 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxter View Post
I apologize for asking a question thats probably been asked a ton..but for some reason I cant seem to find any when I search. So, Since I have a perfectly working 4.0L-NV3550-np231 in my wrecked Jeep, I can replace the whole driveline in my 99 2.5L with my donor 4.0? The only issue I will have is with my ECM? What if I used all the wiring from my 2000 4.0 a long with my gauge cluster?

In other words I have a fully functional 2000 4.0L thats mechanically sound (minus the body and rear end) that I can use as a donor.
It will work fine. Just be patient and careful moving the harnesses over.

To clarify on your first question though, even if all the other stuff weren't true, the number one reason you couldn't easily just transplant the motor over is the bell housing pattern is entirely different.
Unread 12-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Paxter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

It will work fine. Just be patient and careful moving the harnesses over.

To clarify on your first question though, even if all the other stuff weren't true, the number one reason you couldn't easily just transplant the motor over is the bell housing pattern is entirely different.
Alright, thanks! I'll start on taking the engine out this next week
Unread 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Normally most of us would tell u to sell the 4cyl jeep, and buy a 6 cyl jeep.
Its just a better option for most people. Since u have a complete donor jeep, its makes it a ton easier.
Go for the swap. Good luck!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i wish we can do engine swaps on jeeps in California, mine has the 2.4l engine
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcalifornio View Post
i wish we can do engine swaps on jeeps in California, mine has the 2.4l engine
You can...just educate yourself on what is required.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Or move a way from the liberals?
Im sure its beautiful though.
The cost and regulations would push me out.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i wouldnt leave California, it has any everything the jeepers wanna be off roading (mud, desert, forest....)

i dont have the money, nor the knowledge in mechanicals, what can i say in legal (CARB, DMV) stuff.
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcalifornio View Post
i wouldnt leave California, it has any everything the jeepers wanna be off roading (mud, desert, forest....)

i dont have the money, nor the knowledge in mechanicals, what can i say in legal (CARB, DMV) stuff.
A swap from another TJ of the same year is as easy as doing the work and going to get it smogged as long as you carry over all of the emissions stuff.

A swap from another brand is also able to be done. The biggie is that it must be from the same year or newer and you attempt to maintain the OEM emissions for that motor.
Unread 12-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You won't have to swap your gauges over. Both your 99 and 2000 are ccd bus. Ccd bus was used 1997-2000, PCI bus was used 2001-2006 unlike stated earlier.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.