Question on rear axle strength (Super 35, 8.8)? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on rear axle strength (Super 35, 8.8)?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #91
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy115 View Post
You're profile says your future upgrades are an 8.8...

sounds like you don't like them with your post above, what's the deal?

I haven't updated my profile

If you must know I initially thought that was the way to go, but through further research I'm not so sure.

Unread 10-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #92
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaddy View Post
I haven't updated my profile

If you must know I initially thought that was the way to go, but through further research I'm not so sure.

at least your open minded about it. It is a readily available option. I'm just not convinced it's the upgrade claimed
Unread 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #93
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I didn't get that he didn't like or dislike either axle from his post. Did we read the same one?
No, he read into the post with his own bias ... God bless him if he lacks an eye for detail, I wish I was so blissful
Unread 10-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #94
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
at least your open minded about it. It is a readily available option. I'm just not convinced it's the upgrade claimed
I'm not convinced either, and with the narrower track, I don't see how that is benificial for stability? As common as the Exploder is in these parts you'd expect to find a diff out of the things for a hundred bucks ... but not where I live? Unless you run into a guy that thought the 8.8 swap was the best route to go and then accidentally welded the perches on wrong so he's discounting the thing to get rid of it. j/k
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #95
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not convinced either, and with the narrower track, I don't see how that is benificial for stability? As common as the Exploder is in these parts you'd expect to find a diff out of the things for a hundred bucks ... but not where I live? Unless you run into a guy that thought the 8.8 swap was the best route to go and then accidentally welded the perches on wrong so he's discounting the thing to get rid of it. j/k
The track width issue is readily solved with the Super 88 kit from Superior. Adds .900 per side so you don't need wheel spacers.
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #96
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The track width issue is readily solved with the Super 88 kit from Superior. Adds .900 per side so you don't need wheel spacers.
Okay, so even more money to build one ... uhhh, I'm still shy of seeing the great advantage?

Ps- I thought the diff was only .625"-.750" narrower per side?? I can't recall the specifics?
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #97
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, so even more money to build one ... uhhh, I'm still shy of seeing the great advantage?

Ps- I thought the diff was only .625"-.750" narrower per side?? I can't recall the specifics?
The width from the kit is because of the c-clip eliminator housing ends. It was not determined by how how much too narrow the housing was.
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #98
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For me to get a 4.10 axle around here, with low miles, it will cost 5-700 bucks. That is once I pay a core charge and trailer it home ...

pete montie on here pulls them and sells them. He shipped me my 4.10 from Michigan to CA for $400. Now that I moved within 5 miles of a pick and pull, i have been there 5 times in the last 5 months and they are selling axles for $200 each and there are tons of 4.10 8.8's. once a month they have 50% off - i could snag one for $100. Wish i waited now, but I wanted to buy one before I moved here.

Quote:
... Then after that is all said and done, it still has an offset pumpkin and narrower track (that would be easily noticeable for my eye).
you sure, because i have had mine in for 5 months or so and I can't tell any difference in width between the front and back. as far as that 1" making any difference offroad in stability, thanks for the chuckle.

differential offset has caused zero problems for me...that angle is minimal.

As for the brackets - you are correct....if you cannot trust yourself to locate the brackets correctly...then you are probably better off getting the S35 kit.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #99
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The thing i wonder though is everyone gets the disc brake 8.8 but yet complains about c clips. correct me if i am wrong but if it does fail wont the breaks keep it from coming out where the drums on the 35 dont hold it in. i know the super 35 eliminates the c clips i am just wondering because the c clip worried me origanlly on my 8.8 but i then thought the brakes will hold it if it fails
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #100
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the S35 kit as its a DD and wanted to keep the stock axle until its retired. But with the 35 being a weak axle, I did the best they offer as an up-grade to it. I have wheeled it many times now, And have had great results. IMO if I'm going to take it out, I'm going to put something worth while in, D60, 9", etc not a 8.8. But it is a good swap just not for me.
Unread 10-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #101
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
... i have been there 5 times in the last 5 months and they are selling axles for $200 each and there are tons of 4.10 8.8's. once a month they have 50% off - i could snag one for $100. Wish i waited now, but I wanted to buy one before I moved here.
Out here you have to make nice with grease-balls that would molest your kids (given the chance) just to get deals like that. But then again, money isn't everything ... but it does matter.

Quote:
you sure, because i have had mine in for 5 months or so and I can't tell any difference in width between the front and back. as far as that 1" making any difference offroad in stability, thanks for the chuckle.
Trust me, I could see the "slight" difference and it would drive me up the wall every time I looked at my pile of junk.

Glad you got a laugh, but two vehicles at the same height, yet one has a narrower track, that one is more likely to turn over in an off-camber situation ... granted the difference is not great, but given the option, I'll take the wider track, and it doesn't seem necessary to go beyond S35 capabilities for my use? I will give to the fact that straight ahead a narrower track can help get through a tight spot ... but then your front is compromising you some in that regard right?

Quote:
differential offset has caused zero problems for me...that angle is minimal.
But it isn't correct, and I'm picky about this stuff. It works out, and so people are willing to accept that compromise. Given the option, I bet most would prefer it straight on, but it isn't ... With an S35 I don't have to compromise in this regard ... or buy flange adapters, or SYE, or etc etc. I just don't see the big advantage other than better brakes, a plus, but the track width would erk me to no end ... I'm picky that way bro-ham.

Quote:
As for the brackets - you are correct....if you cannot trust yourself to locate the brackets correctly...then you are probably better off getting the S35 kit.
I would hate to think it's right and then miss it by a hair, although a slight variation I concede will likely not give you any real vibs, but who knows, unless Jessie's stunt double from Extreme 4x4 is doing the welding, it might not be right. I just think for the average shade tree, the cheaper route is beefing up the D35.
Unread 10-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #102
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
I went with the S35 kit as its a DD and wanted to keep the stock axle until its retired. But with the 35 being a weak axle, I did the best they offer as an up-grade to it. I have wheeled it many times now, And have had great results. IMO if I'm going to take it out, I'm going to put something worth while in, D60, 9", etc not a 8.8. But it is a good swap just not for me.
See, another satisfied customer ... I'm just waiting for all the verifiable horror stories.
Unread 10-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #103
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well joe,

i think it all comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
Out here you have to make nice with grease-balls that would molest your kids (given the chance) just to get deals like that. But then again, money isn't everything ... but it does matter.
no, you could just PM pmontie and he'd send you one too.

Quote:

Trust me, I could see the "slight" difference and it would drive me up the wall every time I looked at my pile of junk.

again, i am a pretty anal person and I detect no difference. 1/2 inch on each side is hardly detectable when you are looking at 12.5" wide tires over a 96" wheelbase.

Quote:

Glad you got a laugh, but two vehicles at the same height, yet one has a narrower track, that one is more likely to turn over in an off-camber situation ...
yet you admit that the heavier 8.8 will lower the jeeps CoG? so, lets cancel that complaint out too, then.

Quote:
But it isn't correct, and I'm picky about this stuff. It works out, and so people are willing to accept that compromise.
I'd rather sacrifice 1" in offset of a 1" bigger ring gear.

many vehicles come straight from the factory with offsets. my '53 M38A1 doesn't have a centered differential, either and it has worked like that for 55 years just fine.

Quote:
I would hate to think it's right and then miss it by a hair, although a slight variation I concede will likely not give you any real vibs.

that is what a tuneable suspension is for, my friend.

on a side note, if you plan that V-8 conversion you might start looking at a minimum at an 8.8 or above.

Last edited by Greg_Volkman; 10-13-2008 at 02:03 AM..
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 02:50 AM   #104
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Glad you got a laugh, but two vehicles at the same height, yet one has a narrower track, that one is more likely to turn over in an off-camber situation ... granted the difference is not great, but given the option, I'll take the wider track, and it doesn't seem necessary to go beyond S35 capabilities for my use? I will give to the fact that straight ahead a narrower track can help get through a tight spot ... but then your front is compromising you some in that regard right?
Quote:

again, i am a pretty anal person and I detect no difference. 1/2 inch on each side is hardly detectable when you are looking at 12.5" wide tires over a 96" wheelbase.

Just a side thought here guys. That simple difference in track width is really negligible. Particularly in an off camber situation. If you have a less than smooth driver on something that far off camber, then the track width won't matter when he slams into the bump that sends tumbling. Thought about this on the Kaner Trail the last time I ran it.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #105
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This is a common point in the reasoning to change to an 8.8. All I can say is. If the 7.5" ring gear isn't breaking, why make it bigger?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.