Question on rear axle strength (Super 35, 8.8)? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on rear axle strength (Super 35, 8.8)?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #46
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
I bent the housing on the 35
How did you bend the housing and where was the failure?

Unread 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #47
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
. A SuperD35 is still stronger axles in a weak housing. The housing will still flex, and you'll still be stressing those axles. Why not have stronger axles in a stronger housing?
What makes you think the D-44 doesn't flex? And before you answer, I've measured it and it does, and a considerable amount at that.
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #48
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
What makes you think the D-44 doesn't flex? And before you answer, I've measured it and it does, and a considerable amount at that.
Blaine, I'm will to bet the 8.8 flexes to.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #49
Paulio91184
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I almost forgot, i have the 8.8 in my 1990 T bird Super Coupe.ive got tons of mods on that Supercharged 3.8 V6 making about 390ft/lbs of torque and it handles my heavy right foot. granted it's an independent rear suspension but that says alot for housing/R&P strenght
WHITE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #2112
1992 Jeep Cherokee Police Package
3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex with RE Monotubes, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle, 33x12.50 General Grabber AT2's, RE Gen 2 quick disco's
Paulio91184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #50
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulio91184 View Post
I almost forgot, i have the 8.8 in my 1990 T bird Super Coupe.ive got tons of mods on that Supercharged 3.8 V6 making about 390ft/lbs of torque and it handles my heavy right foot. granted it's an independent rear suspension but that says alot for housing/R&P strenght
weak
try 450hp & 490 lb/ft of torque to a D44

http://www.reefcorner.com/Viper/viper_specs.htm
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #51
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Question: This is the first time Ive seen this forward brace on a 8.8 in a jeep what is it for, and is it a must? Or is it just for theleaf over axle swap? Attachment 55608
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!

Last edited by clarkjdg; 11-08-2008 at 05:51 PM..
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #52
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
Blaine, I'm will to bet the 8.8 flexes to.
I've got a HP Dana 60 for a rear axle and I know for a fact it flexes.
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #53
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Question: This is the first time Ive seen this forward brace on a 8.8 in a jeep what is it for, and is it a must? Or is it just for theleaf over axle swap? Attachment 55608
Boy, if that's not Joe Dillard's rear 8.8, someone made an identical copy.
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #54
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yes it is but what is it for ive never seen any thing like it?
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #55
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
yes it is but what is it for ive never seen any thing like it?
It's a traction bar due to excess axle wrap when you go spring over.
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #56
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!!
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
Unread 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #57
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
on the housing mass = strength comment. Why does the 44a use Aluminum behind V10's and LS engines? Why is the new Currie Rock Jock and Aluminum housing? Again, bigger isn't always better. I could careless if I break something. Heck I intentionally try for failures. This is my racer mentality.
Why breaks something for the fun of it? Do you have that much money that you can afford to? Or are you just breaking other peoples stuff?

Aluminum housings are a totally different story. Again, this fits into the category of alloy of metal used. Those Currie housings and the 44a housing are both very thick aluminum, and very high grade of aluminum at that. Aluminum is actually stronger than steel in many respects, it however does not have the same fatigue life. I'm talking about cast iron and cast/extruded steel when talking about 8.8 vs D44 vs D35 housing strength. A D60 is much heavier than an 8.8 or D44...and much stronger. In general, more material to support stress = more weight and more strength. Sure you can make a lightweight 9", truss it, put 40 spline alloys in it and it will be 1/2 the weight of a D60 and twice as strong, but not many people have a budget for that.

Quote:
Can't change your mind, don't really care too either. Good luck with your 8.8
Don't need an 8.8, I've got a D44

Quote:
your responses are examples of "it's what the books said would work" thinking. Not that it's bad, it's a different approach to problem solving than the way tinkerers experiment.
I'm a tinkerer. But I'd rather tinker with an educated guess than simply tinker with something for the hell of it. I'd rather run an 8.8 or D44 vs a D35 or S35. Each have their plus and minus, but for where the money goes, I'd rather spend it on something I know is going to last and take abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
so why is it a weaker housing than the TJ 44?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
What makes you think the D-44 doesn't flex?
Never said it wouldn't flex. Just saying it won't flex as much as a D35 housing when under the same stress. And similarly, the 8.8 won't flex as much as a D35 when under the same stress.

That said, hopefully we all know the D44 uses the same tubes as a D35, so the tube flex portion of this 'housing flex' is kind of subjective. The TJ D44 is kind of a 'hybrid D44', like the Rubicon front D44. This makes the TJs D44 less strong than a Ford or Chevy 3/4 ton D44, or even the JK HD D44. We do know however, the walls of the cast housing are thicker in a D44 than the D35, and there is more ribbing built into the D44 housing than the D35 housing. Hopefully, as you know, these mean the housing is stiffer, and therefore flexes less.

As you know, when you get flex you start to move parts. When you move parts, tolerances become extremely important, and you can break parts due to interference, in addition to the shear strength of the axle shaft itself.

You can add to a D35: alloy shafts, truss, c-clip eliminator, add high quality gears, retube the housing with .25", etc, but its going to cost a lot of money and work. Wouldn't it be smarter (and more economical) to just buy an axle that already has the strength you're looking for?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #58
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Boy, if that's not Joe Dillard's rear 8.8, someone made an identical copy.
i was thinking the same thing
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #59
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
i was thinking the same thing
Why are you looking at some guys rear end
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #60
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

now, the correct way it should flow is D44 = 8.8 = S35

that is an opinion. you may be able to dismiss the ring gear size and the 31 spline shafts easily, but that still doesn't mean it is true. until they come out with some real world testing no one will really know.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.