Question for D30 U-joint replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question for D30 U-joint replacement

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
edzakory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Question for D30 U-joint replacement

I plan on changing the front U-Joints on my D30 front axle w/Spicer 5-760X replacements. I recently put in Aussie lockers and changed the gear lube with Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 synthetic.

Is it necessary to drain the differential to pull the axle(s)? I thought I might be able to jack one side up at a time higher than the differential case to prevent oil from leaking out the seal.

Will this procedure work or does anyone have some suggestions that may have changed U-joints without draining the differential?

Thanks

edzakory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
JamboreeTJ
1946 CJ2A 

You "should" be OK on level surface. Standing still, the oil should be just below the seal. I've seen them pulled without draining the diff. Last one was at our club's tech day with one of the TJs up on a lift at a local shop.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed....I routinely pull the shafts on mine without any leakage of diff lube.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
I concur with the above two statements. When I changed both of my front axle U-joints, I didn't do anything to the diff. Pull off the wheels, brake calipers (be careful of the brake lines), rotors, unscrew the hub assembly, and the axle shafts should slide right out. Just be very careful when you are pulling the shafts out (and putting back in), you do not want to tear the seal in the housing.
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
jayr

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzakory
I plan on changing the front U-Joints on my D30 front axle w/Spicer 5-760X replacements. I recently put in Aussie lockers and changed the gear lube with Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90 synthetic.

Is it necessary to drain the differential to pull the axle(s)? I thought I might be able to jack one side up at a time higher than the differential case to prevent oil from leaking out the seal.

Will this procedure work or does anyone have some suggestions that may have changed U-joints without draining the differential?

Thanks
slightly but I want to do the same and was wondering if you are running stock shafts with these u-joints? IOW will the Spicer 5-760X joints work with D30 stock shafts on newer (97-06) TJs?
TIA
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
edzakory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I want to do the same and was wondering if you are running stock shafts with these u-joints? IOW will the Spicer 5-760X joints work with D30 stock shafts on newer (97-06) TJs?
Yes; I am running stock axles on my D30. I was going to upgrade the axles but understand that they donít have the breaking problems the D35C have.

I did a cross check with NAPA and the Dana Spicer 5-760X is the number listed for my 2000 TJ. I read where these may not work on all D30 axles; probably before the new TJ in í97. NAPA does not sell Spicer anymore and have gone to Precision Gear made by Federal-Mongul. They looked like a good HD unit but my preference was for the upgraded Spicer model. They are hard to find local so I have to order via Internet/mail-order.
edzakory is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.