question on cowl snorkel write up... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question on cowl snorkel write up...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

question on cowl snorkel write up...

i was interested in doing the cowl snorkel mod that someone outlined on here. seriously looking into it.

but i was thinking, how much more clearance are you actually gaining? the airbox on my jeep is on the front right fender, with the opening facing up. placing it in the cowl maybe gains 6 more inches right? or is there something i'm missing?

majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

your not gaining just 6inches, your gaining the height of the pipe over the hood and over your roof.. your gaining as far as the air opening (top) goes. do you understand what i mean? Like in the pic he can go as deep as the red line

But if you go as deep as the red line, your looking at some serious problem, loosing control of the jeep and probably getting taken by the stream...

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkowskid View Post
i was interested in doing the cowl snorkel mod that someone outlined on here. seriously looking into it.

but i was thinking, how much more clearance are you actually gaining? the airbox on my jeep is on the front right fender, with the opening facing up. placing it in the cowl maybe gains 6 more inches right? or is there something i'm missing?
what your missing is that water crossings and streams usually involve dipping down quite a bit to actually get into the water. often your headlights will become submerged, but once your in the stream, water will be up to the doorsill or turn signals (about 3-6 inches below the stock horn).

if you're cowl deep in water, you've got bigger problems than wondering if your engine is breathing, like how you're going to get out of the jeep so you don't drown.

if you're headlight deep in water, then you should be worried about your engine.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget about the benefits of drawing cooler air into your engine with using a cowl snorkel. Power and mileage might be slightly better.
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

maybe i didn't state it clearly. i understand a REGULAR TOTAL SNOKEL... i mean the semi snorkel setup people are doing putting an open air filter under the windshield wipers. doesn't it get wet there every time it rains or anything also? those vents allow rain and everything in....
majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04 hit the nail on the head. When you drop in to water the front end of your Jeep will submerge, then when you get you butt-end in you will sit level again --think of driving down a hill when you reach the bottom, you nose down until you get level again -- its the same thing, except with water. Moving the intake back from your grill makes it harder to get water into the airbox

And yes water gets in, but there is a drain for the water in your cowl, otherwise the water will drain into your Jeep through the AC/Heater intake (if you didn't have the cowl intake). The cone filter doesn't sit directly under the cowl vent so it doesn't get directly wet from rain/water, and in most cases, from what everyone as written up, it actually stays VERY dry, the drain in the cowl apparently has a good amount of flow to keep it dry in there.

NOTE: I have not put a cowl intake in my jeep, yet.... That is actually this week's project, I've been reading up on any, and every thread I can find on it, on this forum and many others. This by no means makes me an expert (or even close to it), but it seems like a common queation about this set up, one that I asked myself a couple times.

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If your going to do it, go for a Hummer style setup. You'll love it.
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you are worried about the filter getting wet, do the buick or windstar (or one of the other options) airbox mod. I have the windstar which has the airbox under the hood so all that goes through the firewall is the trumpet. It is off center to the vent and intake is perpendicular to the way water would come in. Its also a couple inches off the bottom of the cowl, so the drain (which is pretty big in my 06) would have to clog and cowl would have to fill. Water may actually drain through the AC before getting in to the trumpet. I even went ahead and put on backward facing cowl scoop covering the vent but that was overkill.
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, this thread is over a year old. You know that, right?
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

if u are going to do it, do the hummer style thats what i did and i love it first i tryed the filter sitting under the cowl at the one end away from the vent. but the only problem was i was out of the country for 35 days and came home to my engine being full of water because the drain was cloged from crap and heavy rains added up to a hydro locked motor kind of scary to come home too. so i thought it was time for the hummer snorkle and i love it dont worrie about anything anymore flying thru big puddles here in fl. look at my past replys under my user name and u can see my pics and my set up with the real 4.5 inch hummer snorkel cap
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
rubicon1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

oh yeah haha
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
rubicon1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Guys, this thread is over a year old. You know that, right?
HAHA just caught that too. I just saw the date, I never looked at the year..... I'll bite, I'm the dumb*** that revived it.

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.