Question about radiator drain plug (pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about radiator drain plug (pics)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
thechrisgibson

Possibly broken radiator drain plug (pics)

Okay today I was changing out my coolant and radiator hoses and when I went to drain the radiator, I twisted and I twisted some more, and then for some unknown reason I pulled the thing out. Now when I put it back in, it still drips/slowly drains. I did a search and it looked like in one thread all I needed to do was get a new plug and look for/pullout any of the old plug from the radiator. Is this true? Here are some pics of the plug:

http://www.thechrisgibson.com/pics/plug1.JPG
http://www.thechrisgibson.com/pics/plug2.JPG

If there are supposed to be threads on there then I can assure you they are still in the original plug hole.

My jeep is 1999 with a 4.0 if that is relevant. By the way does anyone else think that the lower hose going into the block is obstructed by way too many things. That is what took me so long to get the hoses changed was trying to negotiate how I was going to get that hose off.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by thechrisgibson; 02-10-2007 at 05:46 PM..
thechrisgibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
bee guz

There should be an O ring or a gasket on it, look at the plug see if there is a groove for an O ring, you can always put an O ring on as a gasket.
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
thechrisgibson

I am not sure what you mean by this. I can put the plug back in but when I do the fluid still drips out of the drain hole on the bottom of the radiator. And after the plug is inserted it can be pulled back out with minimal effort. It almost seems like there were threads attached to it which I ripped off and left in the radiator where the plug goes. There is a rubber gasket type thing on the plug which you can see in the pictures. It seems like that I could have ripped off the threads and now can't tighten the plug down to shut the drain. I don't know. And I am kind of stressed seeing as how I am leaving my parents' house tomorrow and don't know where to start. I appreciate your input and would like to try your idea but I just don't know how to implement it.
Unread 02-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
97_tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes there is threads on the end that goes in the radiator you need a new plug as the other parts is broke off in the radiator look in the drain hole and see if you can get it out with needle nose pliers if you can get the broke part out take the broken parts to your local parts store and match it up if not you can go to the dealer it would not cost that much
97_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

You can likely pull the radiator out and remove the other end. Personally,.... I would use this as an excuse to get a new all aluminum radiator from radiatorbarn.com. Oh, wait.... I already did.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
97_tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why spend 175$ when you can spend under 10$ unless his radiator is bad
97_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

I look for excuses to replace stock stuff. But like I said, should be easy to get at with the radiator out. A backout bit should work perfectly.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
thechrisgibson

Thanks for the help. I am going to go tomorrow first thing and look at the auto stores for the plug. As this would be an excuse to get a new radiator, I am alas a poor college kid and when a problem could be fixed for less the 10 bucks I will take that. Maybe once I am out of school and making more money I can "accidentally" break the plug again. Until then stock will work until it breaks. Thanks again you guys.
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
ZJ1092
1999 WJ 

if you are unable to find the correct plug like i was the plug size is a 5/8 thread size. So go to the harware store and buy a bolt with 5/8 thread size and no longer than about 1 inch and use teflon tape and thread it into the drain plug hole. Worked and is working for me.
ZJ1092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Holy Thread Dredge! Back from Feb 2007 !!! I sure hope the OP has fixed his leak by now!
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I assume this collage kid has already received his degree,wife and 2 kids with a mortgage.

But... In this economy he may have lost his house in foreclosure andhis wife and kids to another man with a better collage degree.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

good thread though... that pesky petcock is a design flaw and a half... i ended up totally sealing mine after it vibrated loose on a trailer... drain the radiator by taking off a hose and not by the drain plug... it breaks due to heat and vibration and never seals correctly afterwards...

If it is 5/8 pipe thread i might need to go pick me up a hex plug and seal it in for good! (brand new radiator - aluminum upgrade in the future once it gets warm again...)
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.