Question about OME 2" suspension lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about OME 2" suspension lift

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Question about OME 2" suspension lift

Hello all first time posting here. I added an OME 2" suspension lift to my 2001 TJ today. I got a late start and only finished the front... plan to do the rear in the morning. When I lowered the front end back down off the jack stands I noticed the sway bar connects were shifted. The passenger side was about a 1/2" from the frame and the drive side had about 3" gap. My suspicion was when I was pushing on the axles to remove and replace the coils that the axle shifted?

My question is, is this normal and will things "settle back into place once I drive it for a bit.

Looking under I can see that the drive side control arm is flared out to the outside (right) where the passenger side appears to be straight.

The jeep has 35x12.50 tires with a GenRight Hi-line kit could the combo of tires and coils caused that much offset? And does this mean I may need new control arms (adjustable)

I'd appreciate any suggestions or tip.

-cheers!

mudcrwsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The sway bar can shift side to side in its mounts. It is easy enough to bump to one side or another, they can be off from side to side from the factory. I wouldn't worry.
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The sway bar has quick disconnects on it. When I went to re-attach the sway bar the driver side where it connects was 3" away from the frame. On the passenger side the sway bar slams into the frame and will not line up with the lower disconnect. I know that the sway bar can slide back and forth but in the current state it cannot even reconnect.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You need to center your axle using an adjustable front trackbar. You can also redrill the hole for the axle end of the trackbar over towards the driver's side about 1 inch to "gain" lenght in the stock trackbar. The right way to do it though is buy an adjustable trackbar.

gijeep02
gijeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can keep the sway bar centered with 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-2...033502&sr=1-13

Many makes and diameters available, Google "Shaft Collar"...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Either of the above 2, you just need to deal with the track bars/
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all. Looks like track bar is way to go
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would disconnect the other side and center it by hand. Than reconnect it and drive on it to see if it slides back to one side again. The chances are it was just pushed over during installation of the springs and will not orient that far to one side under normal use.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

@rda616 What do you mean center it by hand?

Disconnect the control arm and turn the wheel to push the axle over or put it back on jack stands and try to push the axle over?

thanks
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was referring to the sway bar. Disconnect it and take a cautious ride around the block. Than put the sway bar where it needs to be and reconnect the links.

Also, not trying to be a dick, but did you install the disconnects correctly. With a 2.5" lift your sway bar should be off by about 3/4" to the drivers side since you are using the stock track bar in the stock location..

One other thing is did you install the springs on the correct sides. Ome springs have a and b lengths .
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the springs are installed correctly A on driver side b o passenger. Before I installed the springs I had noticed that the sway bar was a bit more extended on the driver side. The disconnects ate installed correctly also. I think it is the track bar from what I am reading from the threads. I shot some silicon on the sway bar grommets and I can manually slide the bar from side to side if I put some weight to it. Doing that allows me to connect the passenger side but leaves about 2-3" gap between the disconnect post and the end cap on the sway bar. If I try to connect the driver side the sway bar digs into the frame on the passenger side to the point that it can't connect. Once i get the rear finished today I'm gonna take it for a test ride but I think a trackbar may be in the future
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A longer track bar won't do much for your anti-sway bar shifting around as the axle moves up and down.

In your first post, you asked if things will just settle back into place. The answer is no they will not. The axle is constrained by the control arms and the track bar. It wont just shift without losing one of these constraints or changing height.

Do you have a picture of the anti-sway bar links? Something isn't quite right.

Can you measure the distance from this tires to the frame on both sides? This is a better indicator as to how much your axle is off center than the anti-sway bar is.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
mudcrwsr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

@rchase559

It's not that it moves around I realize it will shift. The issue I am having is that in the current state it cannot be reattached.

Measuring from the frame to the tire to check the offset... ingenious. Sometimes you overlook the most basic concepts. Driver side measures 8" distance from inside tire to frame and Passenger side 8 7/8 inches give or take a 1/16. Attached are a few pics
imag0427.jpg   imag0428.jpg   imag0430.jpg   imag0434.jpg   imag0435.jpg  

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your drivers side anti-sway bar link is installed on the wrong side of the axle bracket.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your sway bar link is on the wrong side of the axle bracket for sure in the drivers side pic. It needs to be moved to the other (inside) side of the bracket

Tags
control arm , OME lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.