Question about my Windshield... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about my Windshield...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-03-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
asjdwf

Question about my Windshield...

Okay, check this out. I bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X three months ago. Since then I've had the windshield replaced once and now the new one has a lot of chips in it from rocks hitting it. I drive the highway every day on the way to work and I was wondering, do the bug shields that places sell on the internet really work or is there no hope for me? I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I'm thinking really hard about selling my Jeep now because I cannot keep gettin a new windshield every time a rock smashes into it. Anyone's help would be greately appreciated.

Please email me at ASJDWF@MSN.COM if you have any suggestions.

AJ

asjdwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Selling your jeep isnt gonna change the fact that rocks are hitting that windshield. Its where you live at as well as what vehicles you follow.
I have the Bug defelctor on mine but I got a rock chip in the windshield. They are designed to keep the rocks and bugs from tearing up the edges of your hood.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
truckie453
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club... jeeps are as aerodynamic as a brick. I am on my fourth windshield in the 5 years i have owned my jeep. I put a bug/rock deflector on last year and so far so good (knock on wood) HTH
Green Jeep #99
Firefighting Jeep #1

Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil, that true love never dies. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.
truckie453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to sell the Jeep because your windshield keeps getting cracked, then honestly you don't belong in one. No offense here... just the truth.

Use common sense when driving... don't follow cars too closely etc...

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a few chips in my windshield, but nothing I'd replace it over.

I swear I got one of 'em from a car wash, from the upright spinning brushes hitting my near-vertical windshield, but my girlfriend is steadfast in telling me that I simply don't like washing it.

Back on topic, you're going to get rock chips in your windshield unless it is bulletproof. Either trade up for an armored car, or keep the jeep.
PDX_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
uglyprimate

Where are you driving???? Unless you live next to a rock quarry and your stupid enough to follow a dump truck closely, this shouldn't be a problem. Sell the Jeep and buy a Ferrari, you'll still get the same rock chips. It's not the Jeeps fault!!!

15 years and 5 Jeeps, and never a single chip!!! and half of that was in Rural ARIZONA!!!!!
uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Four years and two chipped windshields. Latest one has been chipped for almost a year now as it isn't bad. Unfortunatley Jeep windshields are very vertical and rocks don't glance off like on many other vehicles. Other than increased distance between you and the car in front there isn't much you can do. (maybe look into repair instead of replacement of the windshield if possible)
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
JeepKidd

Ive got a little rock chip. went to NAPA and got a little chip repair thing. i havent gotten the time to use it yet, but you guys could maybe get a kit and fix it. How much is a new winshield?
98 Green TJ
RE BB
Rubicon Springs
31X10.5 BFG A/Ts
15x8 AR-767
AtoZ Rocksliders
2 Hella 500 Driving Lighs
2 Delta Fog Lights
JeepKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
qwiksilver

I'm on my second windshield...first one broke in the flop.

I have a chip...bfd. It's a Jeep. It gets scars.

Don't follow so close and you will avoid 2 things:

1. rock chips
2. rear ending someone (Jeeps are notorious for sliding into things)

Stay out from behind trucks...they toss up most of the rocks.

My old Toyota got a rock chip when a rock fell off a cliff. So you can get chips just about anywhere.

Listen, until the chip develops into a crack or it impedes your driving...as in you have 20 of them in front of the drivers view...don't bother with replacing the glass.

Here at the office I'm this wild woman with a wrench...on the trail I'm a slightly confused female with a box of tools and only half a clue.

Jeep built and maintained by [URL=http://www.jcfabanddesign.com]JC Fab and Design[/URL], Sylmar, California
qwiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
hansheb

four years (100,000 miles) and getting a second replacement new windsheild tomorrow. Handy full coverage auto costs me only $50. I wait until it cracks. If I got only the chips fixed it would be free with the hassle of scheduling. I checked into actual cost, $360 for a new windsheild installed.
Unread 12-04-2004, 01:20 AM   #11
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

as noted above....driving a Jeep is like driving a piece of ply-wood, vertical.

I have a bug-flector and all it does is direct bugs directly to my windshield (proven watching the snow). However, it does protect the hood etc..

I have one chip, and I catually saw the rock coming towards me, and actually ducked, out of instinct. It's in the top, left hand corner. $25 at a repair place and the bulls-eye is fixed.

It's a Jeep thing and now you understand. In reality, get the hell out from behind those construction/semi-towing vehicles, and you'll do much better.

What's worse than the windshield is hearing all that crap hitting the grill. I cringe at that sound, and then get out the touch-up paint
Unread 12-04-2004, 08:45 AM   #12
asjdwf

I actually have about 5 chips around the same spot in my direct view when I'm driving. I'm going next week to see about getting them fixed then I'm going to get the front window tinted. I wonder if that will help me not notice them if and when it chips again.

AJ
asjdwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #13
mookarma

im not sure where you are located but i believe a policy/law in florida is that an insurance company must replace your windshield if it gets chipped or cracked. my buddy just got his replaced on his saturn a while back and i think it was $40? just something you may want to check into. . .
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
ChristopherJ
Resident Physician

2000 XJ Cherokee 

In the quadratec magazine, there is a windshield replacement called SpeedGlass. It advertises shatterproof, scratch resistant from stone and tree limb smacks. It says it's not DOT approved because the stuff is so tough, that it is not easily removed by fire or rescue personell. The disclaimer says "Recomended for serious off-road use only!"

If you're interested, here's the link..... SpeedGlass by Quadratec
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #15
JeepN2

Ignore the mean Man behind the curtain...lolol..

Yea when my wife was driving the Jeep 4 chips in 4 months. I only get a chip about once a year..Some luck, some not driving too close behind others..

Butttt...what I wanted to tell you was Speedy glass charged me like 218.00 about two years ago and they (still do) have a policy of fixing chips for free for the life of the windshield..

Rock chips just come with that big flat windshield....

Happy JeepN
07 Blue Compass 4x4
JeepN2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.