Question about lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about lifts

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Question about lifts

Hello all. I just bought my very first jeep and would like to modify it a bit to run off road easier. It has been recommended that I go no higher than 4" as this is also my daily driver. My question concerns the many different brands of suspension lifts out there. I know all will have a different opinion, and I look forward to those, but in general, how do I know what is a "good" brand of lift?

ZMBJ33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

Depends, how much are you willing to spend on just the lift?
Meep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
MidTnSahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok read the faq
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is hardcore stuff and you will pay for it but only once.
The simple stuff ultimately is temporary unless you keep it on the streets.

AVOID... Control arms that are made of tubing and have poly or rubber bushings. They will claim to be stronger but bind up cause they're solid. Stock CAs are made to twist so they offer less binding.

Do not go 4" unless you have the budget for it. Slip Yoke Eliminator ( SYE ), CV driveshaft, Adjustable track bars, Longer brake lines, Bump stop extensions, Sway bar extended links, Springs, Shocks, and the bigger tires that you installed the lift for. Ultimately all these will need to be done at the same time. So, don't plan on starting the build on Friday night and then driving to work on Monday.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
There is hardcore stuff and you will pay for it but only once.
The simple stuff ultimately is temporary unless you keep it on the streets.

AVOID... Control arms that are made of tubing and have poly or rubber bushings. They will claim to be stronger but bind up cause they're solid. Stock CAs are made to twist so they offer less binding.

Do not go 4" unless you have the budget for it. Slip Yoke Eliminator ( SYE ), CV driveshaft, Adjustable track bars, Longer brake lines, Bump stop extensions, Sway bar extended links, Springs, Shocks, and the bigger tires that you installed the lift for. Ultimately all these will need to be done at the same time. So, don't plan on starting the build on Friday night and then driving to work on Monday.
Ah, the things they don't mention when talking lifts. I know nothing of all of the modifications that must go along with, so thank you for this.

As far as budget, I don't have an unlimited budget for top of the line gear, but I can afford to save up for quality parts.
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well here is one of the best lifts out there.

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...2&categoryId=2

I have also heard Zone Offroad to have quality lifts for their price.

http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?...005&dca=1&dsv=
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Plenty of people are out there running a 4" lift and do not have an SYE, CV driveshafts and just relocate the track bars as the instructions tell them to do. Is this the best setup? Probably not, but a lot depends on what you are planning on doing with your Jeep. It is really when you go over the 4" mark that you start running into a lot more issues. Depending on what type of offroading you want to do and what size tires you want to run, you may be fine with just a budget boost lift, all depends on where you want to go with this.
Since it hasn't been said yet, if you go big with the tires everything else needs upgrading such as brakes, steering and the list goes on and on.
So...I would ask, what type of offroading do you want to do and do you have a tire size in mind?
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Zone 4.25" combo(3" SL/1.25"BL/1"MML) lift.Rides very good.Stock control arms work fine and are flexy and cheap to replace if you bend one.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkchop View Post
Plenty of people are out there running a 4" lift and do not have an SYE, CV driveshafts and just relocate the track bars as the instructions tell them to do.
What do trackbars have to do with whether you need a SYE/CV driveshaft? Do you perhaps mean people do a TC drop?
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
What do trackbars have to do with whether you need a SYE/CV driveshaft? Do you perhaps mean people do a TC drop?
I think he was just pointing out cheaper things you can do to run a 4" lift,like no SYE and no adjustable track bars.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I was referring to the other post that was talking about you needed adjustable track bars. Cheaper ways for the 4" lifts as well as the TC case drop to help with drive angles. Most of the 4" short arm kits come with everything you need to run them, then there are "upgrades" to make them better.
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkchop View Post
Plenty of people are out there running a 4" lift and do not have an SYE, CV driveshafts and just relocate the track bars as the instructions tell them to do. Is this the best setup? Probably not, but a lot depends on what you are planning on doing with your Jeep. It is really when you go over the 4" mark that you start running into a lot more issues. Depending on what type of offroading you want to do and what size tires you want to run, you may be fine with just a budget boost lift, all depends on where you want to go with this.
Since it hasn't been said yet, if you go big with the tires everything else needs upgrading such as brakes, steering and the list goes on and on.
So...I would ask, what type of offroading do you want to do and do you have a tire size in mind?
After some discussion with some of the jeep club members here, I have decided on 33" tires. This jeep is also my daily driver, and I don't want to go way overboard. However, I do like to offroad a bit, nothing extreme, but I did learn on my first off road trip Saturday that a lift is going to be a must. We were running on a trail they rated at a 3, and it wasn't a bad run in all stock, however I did conclude that a lift would have helped me in some areas.
I have started a list of things to do, first of which is going to be sway bar disconnects.
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

One more thing, I have been looking at kits with shocks vs without. Is this advisable to do shocks with the lift, or is it unnecessary?
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you lift the Jeep you will need to buy new shocks.
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Another thing to consider is that if you go with a 4" lift kit and do not do SYE it will most likely come with a transfer case drop bracket. To me, this kind of defeats the purpose. The thing you will be needing the most is ground clearance (unless you are wanting to play in the mud) and the transfer case skid hits a lot (or it did on mine with break over's), so you do a 4" lift and then you drop the TC skid down an inch so you have only gained 3" of belly clearance but opened up a lot of other possible issues. If I am remembering correctly on a lift like the Zone one boogieman mentioned you would not need to deal with the TC drop or a lot of the other possible issues from running a 4" SL and would be plenty of lift for running 33" tires.
Disconnects are nice, but if you have the money to spend, check into the Currie antirock. I had JKS quick disconnects on mine when I got it, but ended up going to the Currie and could not have been happier with that purchase. I hated having to try and hook back up after getting the links all muddy and a lot of times I didn't unhook because I didn't think I would need to and then ended up having to unhook with everything covered in mud. With the Currie you just go and don't worry about it, that was one of my favorite mods I did to the Jeep.

Tags
lifts , lj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.