Question about HVAC controls, please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about HVAC controls, please help

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
JfirEfightErP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Question about HVAC controls, please help

So my 97 TJ sport had the usual problem where the blower only worked on high, I changed the blower resistor motor today and now that works fine. The only issue is the heat will only come out of the vents facing you, defrost and feet settings etc... will not work when selected. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you.

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Alexias_Fake_Account
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It sounds there is a vacuum leak in the system.(Fairly sure the 1997 was still using the vacuum pumps!)
Alexias_Fake_Account is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
JfirEfightErP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

any idea where to check for the vaccum leak? is there a line that is moer common to fail? Thanks again
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Pig_Pen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Im not sure if the 99's have the same lines as my 01, but underneath the battery there is a vacuum canister. There is a tiny line that goes down to it. It runs on the firewall across the top and then down to the canister. That plastic line connects to the canister via a 3 inch piece of rubber hose. On my 01 that rubber piece had a big split in it. I was having the same issues except mine would only come out of the defrost vents. After replacing the rubber hose everything works great. But like I said that is on my 01 and I am not 100% sure if the 99's have it. It is definetly worth a look though. Good Luck!
Pig_Pen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep you have a vacuum box under the battery tray. With the vehicle off if you slide your vent control you should hear a hissing sound. If you do not look in the engine bay for a problem. If you do look behind the dash for the leak.

Tags
blower , hvac , motor , resistor , vacuum leak , vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.