Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #31
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.
It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axles does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.
When they introduced the 4:88 gears for the low and high pinion Dana 30's, the internet logic said that because the pinion was so tiny that they would explode if you even got them near a trail.

The theory was sound in that a smaller pinion is or has the potential to be weaker, actual practice has proven that to not be an issue.

You are correct in that it will be weaker driven on the coast side backing up hills. You are incorrect in that it will likely ever be an issue.

Unread 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreyb10 View Post
i know this thread is old But i just bought a G2 dana 44 4.56 and a Eaton E-locker for my 02 Tj to swap in for my stock D30. i have it totally bolted up. but obviously my front drive shaft is too long. i was just wondering if anybody out there knows what the correct length would now be? i am considering measuring and having a machine shop cut and balance it for me. or buy a custom Tom woods. But it would make my life easier if someone had already done this swap and knows what the dimensions are. My jeep is a 4.0 5 speed NV 3550 tranny and NV 231 T.C.
You should measure on your specific setup.

There are too many variables to ask someone else about this.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , swap , dana 30 , dana 44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.