Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
skyAdam
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I don't get it? It's the laws of physics and mechanics, right? It's not my fault that that's how they work.
Are you paying someone else for the gear setup and everything? Maybe then the price is similar. How much strength are you gaining with an inch of ring gear? You're still using the same bj's, knuckles and outers.

You also realize that you'll only get an extra 1/2" of clearance after the larger pumpkin gets factored in with the new tires.

As for hard parts for the swap, it's gears, bearings and balljoints. What's that, about $400 plus housing? It's the perfect time to learn how to set up gears as it's way better to learn working in a comfortable position on the bench instead of on your side under the jeep.

The HP30 is high up on my swap list. For the actual amount to upgrade the housing as opposed to trying to recoup some of my losses by selling my used d30 stuff it makes sense to me. As soon as this ring set goes I'm hitting the junkyard.

skyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're against the HP30 (not sure why, been running mine for years), I wouldn't do the LP44. In fact, I wouldn't put low pinion anything in the front.

Take a look at the Currie front 9in with their HP center section. Bolt in, and can reuse your outers.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
If you're against the HP30 (not sure why, been running mine for years), I wouldn't do the LP44. In fact, I wouldn't put low pinion anything in the front.

Take a look at the Currie front 9in with their HP center section. Bolt in, and can reuse your outers.
HP front axles are weak whilst torquing in reverse and the 30's R&Ps are small to begin with. The bigger TJ 44 R&P can handle reverse torque peaks yet has a margin of strength in the lesser forward torques due to the larger R&P.

Currie and Dynatrac HPs would be great as they are stronger than a HP30 as far as R&Ps are concerned. I just don't understand them to be necessary if not going over 35" tires. I don't plan on going over 35s, so I want to avoid the weight burden of them.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
HP front axles are weak whilst torquing in reverse and the 30's R&Ps are small to begin with. The bigger TJ 44 R&P can handle reverse torque peaks yet has a margin of strength in the lesser forward torques due to the larger R&P.

Currie and Dynatrac HPs would be great as they are stronger than a HP30 as far as R&Ps are concerned. I just don't understand them to be necessary if not going over 35" tires. I don't plan on going over 35s, so I want to avoid the weight burden of them.
Why are you stuck on this reverse thing? I've never seen a front axle R&P break in reverse just as I've never seen anyone do a full throttle rock ledge assault in reverse.

A you high? if you are not going over 35's the clearance penalty of the lp44 (compared to the equivalent or stronger hp30 when traveling in the same direction the rest of us tend to drive off highway.) makes no sense. Your current parts have lifetime warranties don't they?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I don't understand the whole reverse thing. I think you've been reading too much on the internet, and don't have any experience. I, and others, are telling you a Hp30 would suit you just fine.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
christiansteele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a HP 30 right now with 36" tires i broke my carrier pin last week and now next week i am geting the g2 dana 44 with a detroit installed for under 3k anyone want a hp dana 30?
christiansteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
revoffroad
2005 TJ Wrangler 

lol. G2 dana44.....can't wait. I'll be getting one when I get out of afghan.
revoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
whitesandsjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just reading this thread was making me laugh. Trust me I am also laughing at myself. I swaped in the G2 RJ60 rear and and the 44 front till I can afford the RJ front. My heep has been sitting on jacks for months because I am waiting till I can afford my LA lift with front and rear stretch. I would love to be driving it but cant see buying so many drive shafts. So the LESSON is have your entire build planned with the proper budget ready to spend. By adding the larger axles I didnt take certain things into account. For me lesson learned. Damn HEEP!
whitesandsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
koreyb10
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i know this thread is old But i just bought a G2 dana 44 4.56 and a Eaton E-locker for my 02 Tj to swap in for my stock D30. i have it totally bolted up. but obviously my front drive shaft is too long. i was just wondering if anybody out there knows what the correct length would now be? i am considering measuring and having a machine shop cut and balance it for me. or buy a custom Tom woods. But it would make my life easier if someone had already done this swap and knows what the dimensions are. My jeep is a 4.0 5 speed NV 3550 tranny and NV 231 T.C.
koreyb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

G2 front 44 ins't an upgrade. G2 buys Rubicon D44 front ends from the factory and builds them. As for bolt in axles the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is the only real upgrade D44. A RJ 60 or fabricated 9" would other options. Everything else is going to require fab work.

And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.

Last fall I was wheeling with unlimited04, can't remember why but we backed up a pretty steep hill and parked. I think we were looking at the view (high altitude). We both have high pinion 30s, guess what, nothing broke!

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.
It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axles does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #27
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
G2 front 44 ins't an upgrade. G2 buys Rubicon D44 front ends from the factory and builds them. As for bolt in axles the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is the only real upgrade D44. A RJ 60 or fabricated 9" would other options. Everything else is going to require fab work.

Last fall I was wheeling with unlimited04, can't remember why but we backed up a pretty steep hill and parked. I think we were looking at the view (high altitude). We both have high pinion 30s, guess what, nothing broke!
Were you trying to pull someone else out when you backed up? If not, then no, nothing probably broke.

It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axle does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.

You can argue if you like, but physics is physics. That's just how gravity and force vectors all work.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If reverse situations are your concern, then just keep the low pinion 30...it's as strong in reverse, as the hp30 is going forward...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like the driveshaft clearance...

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Were you trying to pull someone else out when you backed up? If not, then no, nothing probably broke.

It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axle does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

You can argue if you like, but physics is physics. That's just how gravity and force vectors all work.
Stop trying to come up rediculous scenerios where stuff breaks. Wheel smart, don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Don't think about it so much and just go have fun. Even if you threw 60s under your rig you could come up with various scenarios where you break stuff.

Stop overanalyzing and just go wheel!

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle , swap , dana 30 , dana 44

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.