Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Question about Dana 30 to G2 Dana 44 front swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
skyAdam
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I don't get it? It's the laws of physics and mechanics, right? It's not my fault that that's how they work.
Are you paying someone else for the gear setup and everything? Maybe then the price is similar. How much strength are you gaining with an inch of ring gear? You're still using the same bj's, knuckles and outers.

You also realize that you'll only get an extra 1/2" of clearance after the larger pumpkin gets factored in with the new tires.

As for hard parts for the swap, it's gears, bearings and balljoints. What's that, about $400 plus housing? It's the perfect time to learn how to set up gears as it's way better to learn working in a comfortable position on the bench instead of on your side under the jeep.

The HP30 is high up on my swap list. For the actual amount to upgrade the housing as opposed to trying to recoup some of my losses by selling my used d30 stuff it makes sense to me. As soon as this ring set goes I'm hitting the junkyard.

skyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
pcoplin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,713
If you're against the HP30 (not sure why, been running mine for years), I wouldn't do the LP44. In fact, I wouldn't put low pinion anything in the front.

Take a look at the Currie front 9in with their HP center section. Bolt in, and can reuse your outers.
__________________
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
85 Wagoneer 5.2/44RE
01 F250 Powerstroke 7.3/ZF6
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
If you're against the HP30 (not sure why, been running mine for years), I wouldn't do the LP44. In fact, I wouldn't put low pinion anything in the front.

Take a look at the Currie front 9in with their HP center section. Bolt in, and can reuse your outers.
HP front axles are weak whilst torquing in reverse and the 30's R&Ps are small to begin with. The bigger TJ 44 R&P can handle reverse torque peaks yet has a margin of strength in the lesser forward torques due to the larger R&P.

Currie and Dynatrac HPs would be great as they are stronger than a HP30 as far as R&Ps are concerned. I just don't understand them to be necessary if not going over 35" tires. I don't plan on going over 35s, so I want to avoid the weight burden of them.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
HP front axles are weak whilst torquing in reverse and the 30's R&Ps are small to begin with. The bigger TJ 44 R&P can handle reverse torque peaks yet has a margin of strength in the lesser forward torques due to the larger R&P.

Currie and Dynatrac HPs would be great as they are stronger than a HP30 as far as R&Ps are concerned. I just don't understand them to be necessary if not going over 35" tires. I don't plan on going over 35s, so I want to avoid the weight burden of them.
Why are you stuck on this reverse thing? I've never seen a front axle R&P break in reverse just as I've never seen anyone do a full throttle rock ledge assault in reverse.

A you high? if you are not going over 35's the clearance penalty of the lp44 (compared to the equivalent or stronger hp30 when traveling in the same direction the rest of us tend to drive off highway.) makes no sense. Your current parts have lifetime warranties don't they?
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
pcoplin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,713
Yeah, I don't understand the whole reverse thing. I think you've been reading too much on the internet, and don't have any experience. I, and others, are telling you a Hp30 would suit you just fine.
__________________
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
85 Wagoneer 5.2/44RE
01 F250 Powerstroke 7.3/ZF6
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
christiansteele
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 52
I have a HP 30 right now with 36" tires i broke my carrier pin last week and now next week i am geting the g2 dana 44 with a detroit installed for under 3k anyone want a hp dana 30?
christiansteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
revoffroad
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 70
lol. G2 dana44.....can't wait. I'll be getting one when I get out of afghan.
revoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
whitesandsjeep
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WSMR, NM
Posts: 19
Just reading this thread was making me laugh. Trust me I am also laughing at myself. I swaped in the G2 RJ60 rear and and the 44 front till I can afford the RJ front. My heep has been sitting on jacks for months because I am waiting till I can afford my LA lift with front and rear stretch. I would love to be driving it but cant see buying so many drive shafts. So the LESSON is have your entire build planned with the proper budget ready to spend. By adding the larger axles I didnt take certain things into account. For me lesson learned. Damn HEEP!
whitesandsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
koreyb10
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brookville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1
i know this thread is old But i just bought a G2 dana 44 4.56 and a Eaton E-locker for my 02 Tj to swap in for my stock D30. i have it totally bolted up. but obviously my front drive shaft is too long. i was just wondering if anybody out there knows what the correct length would now be? i am considering measuring and having a machine shop cut and balance it for me. or buy a custom Tom woods. But it would make my life easier if someone had already done this swap and knows what the dimensions are. My jeep is a 4.0 5 speed NV 3550 tranny and NV 231 T.C.
koreyb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,598
G2 front 44 ins't an upgrade. G2 buys Rubicon D44 front ends from the factory and builds them. As for bolt in axles the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is the only real upgrade D44. A RJ 60 or fabricated 9" would other options. Everything else is going to require fab work.

And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.

Last fall I was wheeling with unlimited04, can't remember why but we backed up a pretty steep hill and parked. I think we were looking at the view (high altitude). We both have high pinion 30s, guess what, nothing broke!
__________________
Build Thread
My life in 2010: Chronicles of painting my Jeep
Axle Re Gear and Swap

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 402
And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.
It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axles does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.
__________________
2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" short arm suspension lift, 35" tires, Rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs and chromo shafts, NV3550.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #27
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
G2 front 44 ins't an upgrade. G2 buys Rubicon D44 front ends from the factory and builds them. As for bolt in axles the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is the only real upgrade D44. A RJ 60 or fabricated 9" would other options. Everything else is going to require fab work.

And the whole reverse thing with a high pinion axle is ridiculous. I don't know though, maybe you like a challenge and do trails in reverse.

Last fall I was wheeling with unlimited04, can't remember why but we backed up a pretty steep hill and parked. I think we were looking at the view (high altitude). We both have high pinion 30s, guess what, nothing broke!
Were you trying to pull someone else out when you backed up? If not, then no, nothing probably broke.

It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axle does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.

You can argue if you like, but physics is physics. That's just how gravity and force vectors all work.
__________________
2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" short arm suspension lift, 35" tires, Rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs and chromo shafts, NV3550.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
If reverse situations are your concern, then just keep the low pinion 30...it's as strong in reverse, as the hp30 is going forward...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,132
I like the driveshaft clearance...

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Were you trying to pull someone else out when you backed up? If not, then no, nothing probably broke.

It's not about doing trails in reverse, its about torque peaks when backing in reverse, even though rare. For example, backing uphill whilst pulling someone else out. I guess the u-joints or shafts would probably fail first, but the R and P would see a lot of stress in a situation like that. Just because an axle does almost all of it's work in one direction doesn't mean it won't see greater torque loads in the rare opposite direction.

In reality, it may not be a problem for people. But surely the R and P would see it's greatest stresses in such an uphill backing, towing situation.

You can argue if you like, but physics is physics. That's just how gravity and force vectors all work.
Stop trying to come up rediculous scenerios where stuff breaks. Wheel smart, don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Don't think about it so much and just go have fun. Even if you threw 60s under your rig you could come up with various scenarios where you break stuff.

Stop overanalyzing and just go wheel!
__________________
Build Thread
My life in 2010: Chronicles of painting my Jeep
Axle Re Gear and Swap

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle , swap , dana 30 , dana 44
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.