question about bump stops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > question about bump stops

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
hritz77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

question about bump stops

hi do I need to use extended bump stops with a 2" pro comp spring lift? I was told its not necessary. if that is not true and I do need them can you recommend the ones I should use.
Thanks

()_) ()_)--)_)

2003 Sport
hritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The only way to really know for your jeep is to jack up your axle one wheel at a time and see if anything hits before the bumpstop. Keep an eye on your front trackbar/diff cover. Try turning the front wheels left and right keeping an eye on the steering linkage as you lift as well.

Someone else's jeep with the same setup may need them while yours doesnt or vice versa.
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
The only way to really know for your jeep is to jack up your axle one wheel at a time and see if anything hits before the bumpstop. Keep an eye on your front trackbar/diff cover. Try turning the front wheels left and right keeping an eye on the steering linkage as you lift as well.

Someone else's jeep with the same setup may need them while yours doesnt or vice versa.
I agree completely. only way to know is to test.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post

you're on the right track...to add/correct some of that

basically do this for each axle:
1. Remove springs.
2. Reconnect shocks and all suspension components.
3. Lift axle up/lower frame down to bring bumpstops to set on the spring pad.
4. whatever hits first, thats how much bumpstop you need.
5. diff cover might hit track bar, shocks might bottom out, brackets might hit someplace, or maybe nothing will happen.
6. a lot will depend on the collapsed length of the shocks.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , wrangler , bumpstops , bump , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.