Quadratop Premium Soft Top Experience and Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Quadratop Premium Soft Top Experience and Question

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 04-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
WolfMcDog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quadratop Premium Soft Top Experience and Question

I recently bought a new Quadratop Premium sailcloth top from Quadratec to replace my very worn factory soft top that's coming apart at the seams. I went with a Quadratop over a Bestop Replace-a-Top because of the longer warranty; the price; I saw a review or two praising its quality; and I had seen complaints here and there that Bestop's quality isn't what it used to be. I've never had a Bestop, though, so I don't know what they're like now or what they used to be.

Anyway, I installed it yesterday and was disappointed to find it fits much more loosely than the old top. (Unfortunately, this didn't make it any easier to install!) The side windows are the worst of all. With them completely zipped up, I can pop the bottom plastic rails right out pretty easily! Plus I can easily press the sides all the way in to touch the rear bow. It could go further but the bow's in the way. The top itself I can push up from the inside a couple inches. It might almost be bad enough that water could pool on top, but I have not tested that.

Despite all that, I was surprised that none of it flapped while doing about 65 MPH. Unfortunately, it is definitely louder than the factory top even as worn out as mine was. It sounded like I had a window cracked (I have full doors), but I definitely did not.

I am considering returning the Quadratop and getting a Bestop, but I would like to know from others who have a Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-Top if they've had a similar experience, or if I could expect better with one of those?

Heck, if anyone else has a Quadratop Premium and had a better experience than I did, I'd love to hear from you! Maybe I'd see if Quadratec would just replace it. But if this is what they all are, I'm hoping to do better. I would love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

WolfMcDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
hondamxer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, this doesn't sound promising; I just placed my order for the same top yesterday. It should be here Wednesday or Thursday. I will defiently keep you posted on how mine ends up being. Can you post some pictures of how it is?
hondamxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
WolfMcDog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's difficult to get pictures of its looseness, but I've attached some. Please let me know what you think of yours when you get it!

I do have some good news though. I grabbed a hose and started spraying down on top of it but the water doesn't pool up. So it's not THAT loose. I am parked nose down though, so I couldn't really test the front. It's angled too much and runs off immediately, but I'd say it probably won't pool.

Also, now that the temperature has dropped a little and the sun isn't beating directly on the top, it MAY have tightened up slightly. It's hard to tell. I can still push the windows all the way into the rear bow and can still pop the lower rails out while zipped up, but it did seem a little tougher. I wonder if the material tightens up after a while.

I admit that I'm pretty picky, and they're not problems that I absolutely can't live with. My main "concern" is that it's a little louder than my old top (as I said, sounds like someone just barely opened a window). I guess I'm a bit spoiled by the relative quietness of the factory top.
loosetop.jpg  
windowpoppedout.jpg

loosewindow.jpg

Unread 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
atomant1

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought some stuff from a guy that just installed the bestop, and it looked nice and tight, but he showed me where the back window was so tight it actually pulled up on the gate bar and left a 1/2" gap above his tailgate.

I'm pending ordering a top so I'm no expert, but don't the bows have a tension adjustment? I thought that was a selling feature, but maybe that was just the Bestop Supertop.

Keep us posted, I have my finger on the order button and haven't done it for a month. I'm looking at the Bestop NX with doors and its going to cost a bucket of cash.
atomant1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed this top last weekend. It was loose but I only had trouble zipping the rear window. Overall I was really impressed with the fabric. image-3769216624.jpg
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
hondamxer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I just installed this top last weekend. It was loose but I only had trouble zipping the rear window. Overall I was really impressed with the fabric. Attachment 2053681
How noisey is it? Does it fit any better with it on a week?
Unread 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
WolfMcDog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The rear window was where I had trouble with this top as well. I had a hard time zipping it up, and it was so tight that it pulled the tail gate bar half up out of the brackets on the tub, preventing the tail gate from closing. I left it overnight and it either loosened up the next day or I just had better luck fiddling with it to where I was able to close the tail gate. I also ended up having to slide the rear corners of the top around to get the rear window to zip completely.

I'm not aware of the bows having an adjustment, but I'll have to check it out!

2003X, I second hondamxer's questions. I also thought the fabric was nice. It seems almost as thick as the factory fabric.
Unread 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamxer
How noisey is it? Does it fit any better with it on a week?
I don't think it's any noisier then the stock fabric. I haven't really noticed a difference.
Since its been on it does seem to tighten up. I'm sure when the summer hits the fabric will be easier to work with when it gets broken in.
Unread 04-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
WolfMcDog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input!

I've decided to keep the Quadratop. I drove about 80 miles yesterday, reaching 70 MPH with no ill effects. The windows stayed tucked in at the bottom, and there was still no flapping. I'm pretty sure the wind noise is louder than the factory top just enough to notice (it seems to be coming from around the header bar corners), but, overall, not worth the hassle of returning. I'm just being picky.

It sure beats dropping a thousand bucks on a new factory top!
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
hondamxer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine on yesterday and it fit very loose and the back window was very though to zipper in. I thought I was going to have to return it. But when i went outside this morning it tightened up alot. I checked the back window again and it zippered in and out easy; just like it should. It is quieter than the 11 year old stock top i had on it. The windows are very nice and crystal clear. I am happy with it overall.
Unread 04-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamxer View Post
I got mine on yesterday and it fit very loose and the back window was very though to zipper in. I thought I was going to have to return it. But when i went outside this morning it tightened up alot. I checked the back window again and it zippered in and out easy; just like it should. It is quieter than the 11 year old stock top i had on it. The windows are very nice and crystal clear. I am happy with it overall.
x2, the the windows are crystal clear compared to my 12 year old top.
Unread 04-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Muddeprived

FYI, I installed Pavement Ends Sprint Top before last winter and it's an AMAZING top. Nothing about it feels cheap and it's super tight. The fabric is THICK. I highly recommend it.

http://www.pavement-ends.com/products/item/43-sprint

The sunroof feature is nice.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #13
Jeffs98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We purchased the Quadratec Replace A Top with half door window replacements about two months ago. Fabric is certainly not as thick of mill as the original but was very tight and has remained so as the weather has warmed up. Only issue we experienced during the install was during the replacement of the factory half door window on the drivers side. After I stretched and installed the fabric over the frame, I tried to force the window to zip up and ended up tearing up the zipper. I call Quadratec and they immediately sent another full top along with a FedEx shipping label to return the second top. All they asked was that I unpack the second top, pull the item that I needed and ship back the second top with the half door window I damaged. Excellent customer service and a pretty nice top for $339.00 - I would purchase another one without hesitation.
Jeffs98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just for another angle...I got a Bestop sailcloth RAT when I got my TJ 1.5 years ago, and have been extremely pleased with it. It's quiet, tight, the windows are all snug and zip in and out great. There's no way I could pull out the bottom of the side windows without unzipping them first...couldn't be happier with a replacement top, well worth the $$.

Hopefully the QT works out for you, OP.
Unread 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any one have any issues with water leaking on the top corners of the soft top?

I am getting some water dripping inside passenger side door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.