Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Putting SYE kit in 231, any tips?

882 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ROUGHSHOD 
#1 ·
Going to put the SYE kit in my 231 this weekend. Its an Advance Adapters heavy duty kit with a new shaft and new back half of the TC. I was wondering if its easier to pull the TC off, or should I just do it still installed? The parts come in tomorrow with step by step, but I was trying to get tips from the more experienced guys. Thanks.

#2 ·
I did mine with the transfer case still in the vehicle. It was five years ago and I can't remember a lot of the detail, but as I recall it wasn't too difficult.

I put the rear wheels up on ramps and made sure the vehicle was well cleaned underneath to stop debris dropping in when the case is opened.

The instructions were pretty good, which helped.

#3 ·
I did mine when the entire body was off and still opted to just take it the rest of the way out. I think that most guys do it while still attached to the drivetrain. I like being able to get everything out because I feel I can do a better job cleaning and I can do a better job making sure everything is done right.

#4 ·
When you are re-installing everything, you are going to need to torque the bolts on you input and output to about 180 (at least thats how it was on mine) It seems like that would be a little dificult to do if you didn't have that proper workbench / vices, things of that nature. Depending on the size of your lift, you should have a decent amount of room to work under there. I have about 5" of lift. It wasn't to bad.

#6 ·
I did mine a couple of months ago, TC in vehicle and the install itself was no big deal.
I spend a bit of time getting the mounting surfaces clean and oil free to ensure a good seal. Also, once you put the Yoke on use some RTV. The recommended Starwasher didn't work all that well for me. There are a couple of threads about this already if you should encounter any issues.

Good luck :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I did it with tcase in the jeep, also with 4x4explor writeup. I would recomment taking the tcase out though. doesnt take long and will save your neck and back,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.