Putting Savvy Armor to the Test - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Putting Savvy Armor to the Test

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #31
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone willing to host upload these pics to JF? I cannot see photobucket where I'm at and I'd like to take a look at these pictures.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
KillerSloth
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Imgur work (don't have time for JF, have to go back to work)?

http://imgur.com/a/w127d
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #33
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
While there products are great, I would also have to agree that on this forum they are hyped up to be alot more than they are.

I am certain my belly armor would not develop cracks like that after 1 trip out. If it did then it would most definately be completely destroyed by now after a countless amount of trips.

I'm not at all surprised to see the aluminum bumper dented, or the aluminum skid-plate cracked, nor am I surprised to see the gouge out of the aluminum corner armor.

TheMusicMan.
Let's be very clear and get a few things out of the way first. You don't like us so there's not much you will ever say that is going to be in our favor.

Second, a weld cracked, one that should never have been left like it is. That does not constitute what you or anyone else should consider a failure.

Do I need to go get pics of my steel armor and destroyed steel bumpers to show that both can and do dent and since when is a dent a failure?

I'm actually kind of impressed with how well it held up given the level of difficulty he put it through.
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #34
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Let's be very clear and get a few things out of the way first. You don't like us so there's not much you will ever say that is going to be in our favor.

Second, a weld cracked, one that should never have been left like it is. That does not constitute what you or anyone else should consider a failure.

Do I need to go get pics of my steel armor and destroyed steel bumpers to show that both can and do dent and since when is a dent a failure?

I'm actually kind of impressed with how well it held up given the level of difficulty he put it through.
I'm confused as to why all of the negativity coming from him then? A recent competitor? Did he purchase something Savvy that didn't hold up to his standards? I am not trying to pick a fight here, but in the short time that I have been associated with this forum and others this is the only place that I see Savvy's name thrown around so much...no that that's a bad thing. I have worked with Gerald on a couple of outstanding purchases, always with fast shipping and great quality. I just don't understand what would cause him to troll like this.
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #35
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Second, a weld cracked, one that should never have been left like it is. That does not constitute what you or anyone else should consider a failure...
Blaine,
Can you explain that comment? I am trying to save up the dough to get the UA by spring time and want to know if there are any prep steps or whatever that I will need to complete before I can install it. I'd rather do the work before I get it under the Jeep. Thanks.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #36
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
Blaine,
Can you explain that comment? I am trying to save up the dough to get the UA by spring time and want to know if there are any prep steps or whatever that I will need to complete before I can install it. I'd rather do the work before I get it under the Jeep. Thanks.
Checkout what I linked to on the previous page; mrblaine said he's been trying to get the guys down at the shop to bolt a plate there instead of a weld but they haven't yet. Hopefully soon these cracks at that weld will convince them to start doing it the way he wants.

Either way, you can see that if you ask, Blaine is kind enough to modify it for you before it ships.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like it did what it was supposed to do to me..It looks like the ua had the whole weight of the vehicle on it setting on a rock at some point.
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
TheMusicMan

Quote:

Please don't put words in my mouth that were never there.
To say that I don't like you (you being Savvy) is a complete lie.

I also never said that your product 'failed'.
Fact: The weld cracked. as you say yourself, it should never have been left like it is.

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #39
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Checkout what I linked to on the previous page; mrblaine said he's been trying to get the guys down at the shop to bolt a plate there instead of a weld but they haven't yet. Hopefully soon these cracks at that weld will convince them to start doing it the way he wants.

Either way, you can see that if you ask, Blaine is kind enough to modify it for you before it ships.
Thanks, I thought that might be what he was referring to but don't like to assume.

For what it's worth it looks like it held up really well to me. That tub damage would have happened with a steel plate there too, it hit before the armor and flexed the forward edge a little but with all that weight behind it you'd need a 1/2 steel plate to prevent any flex... and at that point they call it an Abrams, not a Jeep.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSloth View Post
Imgur work (don't have time for JF, have to go back to work)?

http://imgur.com/a/w127d
Awesome, thank you.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #41
99TJhoopty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you want aluminum armor, bumpers, etc., then I believe Savvy is as good as you can get. I am just stuck on the fence about if the weight savings is worth the other drawbacks. Steel in general is stronger but heavier. Steel when damaged is far easier to repair. Steal can fairly easily be heated, hammered, welded, ground, and patched into like new condition by someone with only basic fab skills in their garage.
99TJhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #42
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJhoopty View Post
If you want aluminum armor, bumpers, etc., then I believe Savvy is as good as you can get. I am just stuck on the fence about if the weight savings is worth the other drawbacks. Steel in general is stronger but heavier. Steel when damaged is far easier to repair. Steal can fairly easily be heated, hammered, welded, ground, and patched into like new condition by someone with only basic fab skills in their garage.
You can take that fender off and beat hell out of it with a hammer also to flatten it back out.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #43
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

Would love to run mine hard like that, but it is my DD too and I can't afford it. Nice pics, tks.
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #44
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you ever hit your front driveshaft on the rocks? If so, how does it hold up?
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Do you ever hit your front driveshaft on the rocks? If so, how does it hold up?
I tore the boots of both the front and rear driveshafts. I think both shafts are fine, but will inspect them better when I get a closer look.

My Build Thread.
steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.