Putting Savvy Armor to the Test - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Putting Savvy Armor to the Test

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

eh, see their products are overrated.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to go out on a limb and say no armor would stand up to what he put that jeep through.
Dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbill View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say no armor would stand up to what he put that jeep through.
Thats what I was thinking. I was very surprised when I saw he was actually able to dent the bumper, especially after reading all the hype and praise these products have gotten.

Can't wait to get mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #19
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Steve,

You need to come out and wheel with us! I like your style! It is almost time for you to get a buggy if you like playing in the rocks.

I'll send you some steel brackets we have that will fix the weld crack. You are the second person that has wheeled hard enough to need the brackets. You just need to drill a few 3/8" holes and add the brackets and all is good.

Thanks for sharing the cool pix. Man you drive like me. By Braille!

John Currie and Blaine taught me ease up to the obstacle and when you hit it back up and drive around it. If you every get a chance to wheel with those guys, watch how smooth they are in the rocks. It still amazes me when we go wheeling. They drive around the rocks and I bash into them.
I was wheeling with Phillip and Chris. They talked about their trip out to JV with you and Blaine. They had many great things to say about both of you. My rig will need some more work in the axle department before it's ready for JV!

Let me know what I need to do to get the brackets. Should I send you an email?

I'll have to tell my wife that we need to visit my brother and uncle in SoCal as an excuse to bring out the Jeep your way to do some wheeling. I'm heading to Moab the last week of April/first week of May if you need an excuse to go.

You can see more pics of our trip here, although they some how got in revese order: Clayton

My Build Thread.
steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
TheMusicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
eh, see their products are overrated.
While there products are great, I would also have to agree that on this forum they are hyped up to be alot more than they are.

Quote:
I am certain my belly armor would not develop cracks like that after 1 trip out. If it did then it would most definately be completely destroyed by now after a countless amount of trips.

I'm not at all surprised to see the aluminum bumper dented, or the aluminum skid-plate cracked, nor am I surprised to see the gouge out of the aluminum corner armor.

TheMusicMan.
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve578 View Post
I'm heading to Moab the last week of April/first week of May if you need an excuse to go.
If you are going all the way to Moab... its only another 1000 to JV
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
While there products are great, I would also have to agree that on this forum they are hyped up to be alot more than they are.

I am certain my belly armor would not develop cracks like that after 1 trip out. If it did then it would most definately be completely destroyed by now after a countless amount of trips.

I'm not at all surprised to see the aluminum bumper dented, or the aluminum skid-plate cracked, nor am I surprised to see the gouge out of the aluminum corner armor.

TheMusicMan.
I am suprised you say this, because i had a discussion with a few wheelers this past weekend about Savvy products. The few guys that I talked to were split on whether aluminum products were as stable and durable as other types of protection out there....I understand that there is a weight difference but is that all the benefit of aluminum?
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was able to test out all the Savvy products that I installed last month for the first time...

It provides excellent clearance underneath!

That's a fine looking Jeep you have there. Is this one completely high centered?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From the looks of the other pictures, it looks like he drove out of that, but i could be wrong.
Dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From the looks of the other pictures, it looks like he drove out of that, but i could be wrong.
That's correct. I had plenty of traction on all four tires only due to the extra clearance from the Under Armor.

My Build Thread.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton is very cool. Nice picts.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
If you are going all the way to Moab... its only another 1000 to JV
Someday, someday! I don't think the Jeep is quite ready for that. I'm running 37's on D44's. I would definitely need to upgrade to larger axles or step down to 35's before that.

My uncle lives in Victorville and my brother is in Huntington Beach. I have plenty of excuses to make it out that way.

My Build Thread.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look like he winched out actually. If you look close you can see a line in the pictures that followed. Looks like you put the skids through a thorough beating

EDIT: thread is moving too fast for me
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #29
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's correct. I had plenty of traction on all four tires only due to the extra clearance from the Under Armor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Look like he winched out actually. If you look close you can see a line in the pictures that followed. Looks like you put the skids through a thorough beating

EDIT: thread is moving too fast for me
Oops, you are right. I had this one mixed up with the next obstacle where I was on my side. I drove out on that one, but used the winch to pivot on this one

My Build Thread.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #30
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's amazing how long it takes just to get through one trail there.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.