Putting new engine in TJ, what should I do to the engine first? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Putting new engine in TJ, what should I do to the engine first?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
andr3w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Putting new engine in TJ, what should I do to the engine first?

I just bought a 97 TJ with a blown 2.5 liter engine in it for really cheap...I have a 2.5 liter engine out of a rolled Jeep that I am gonna put in, but now I am wondering if there is any work I should do on the engine before swapping it in? I was already thinking about the rear main seal, valve cover gasket, etc...I would just like to replace stuff that might be an issue later down the road and would be easier to replace or fix while the engine is out of the Jeep.

Thanks,
Andrew

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."
andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dono if the 4cyl have the problem, but make sure the exhaust manifold isnt cracked.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the time, space, and equipment (and are really that concerned about it). You could put the engine on a stand, pressure wash it, and buy an engine gasket set and go to town replacing all of the seals and gaskets (obviously don't go replacing a good head gasket. WHile you have the valve cover and oil pan off you could clean out the engine oiling system really good. But, that's just if you feel like doing all of that just for a warm fuzzy...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why not paint it =)

Make it look nice and new!
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
hefightsfire
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man I'd have a hard time putting the 2.5 back in. Have you considered just finding a 4.0?
hefightsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
andr3w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
If you have the time, space, and equipment (and are really that concerned about it). You could put the engine on a stand, pressure wash it, and buy an engine gasket set and go to town replacing all of the seals and gaskets (obviously don't go replacing a good head gasket. While you have the valve cover and oil pan off you could clean out the engine oiling system really good. But, that's just if you feel like doing all of that just for a warm fuzzy...

What would you suggest is the best way to clean out the oiling system? I wouldn't mind taking the time and putting in new seals and gaskets, even if its just for the warm fuzzy.

@hefightsfire = I thought about putting in the 4.0, but I have the 2.5 liter already so I am just gonna put that in, plus its an easier install then the 4.0.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."
andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

With the engine on a stand and the valve cover, oil pan and manifilds off you can put a large drip tray under it, set a container of solvent so that the oil pump pick up is submerged, install a new oil filter, and spin the oil pump with a drill. Or you can re-install the oil pan without a gasket (after you clean the inside of the pan really good),re-install the valve cover without a gasket, install the new oil filter, fill the oil pan with five quarts of solvent, and spin the oil pump with a drill.

DO NOT turn the engine with the solvent in the oiling system!

Do this BEFORE you install any of the new seals!

After you do this, install another new oil filter and repeat the process with fresh oil to get ALL of the solvent out of there!

Replace ALL of the seals (other than the head gasket, but including valve seals) after you do this.

After you install the engine, be sure to use engine break in additive with high ZDDP.

I would probably go the re-install oil pan and valve cover with out gaskets route to avoid a huge mess. Be sure to clean the oil pan and valve cover really well first.

Make sense?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the freeze plugs.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Differential gears......

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

better cam
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 liter , engine replacement , engine swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.