Put money into a 35 or rig it... Swap later. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Put money into a 35 or rig it... Swap later.

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
Bigdude408

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Put money into a 35 or rig it... Swap later.

So I needed the front axle, the stock 30 was bent. I got a hp 30, needed to match gears. So I bought 4.88's front and back to make them match. Even though I know a 8.8 or 44 is in the future, I thought, make the 35 work until this winter, then build up a 8.8 and have it ready for next season.

So into the rear diff I dove. I see why the 35 is junk! The spiders and side gears are on there last leg. The bearing on the carrier is spun, meaning the inner race is spinning on the carrier. So realistically, to fix it right I need a loaded carrier! What 250 bucks, on a junk 35! God,I don't want to spend a dime on it.

But I could rig it. I could put a decent set of spider gears I have laying around, and reverse the side gears so that in forward it would be driving on the decent side of the gear. Then put the new bearings on the carrier, probably having to peen the bearing shelf on the one side so the race will stay put.
That could get me by for a while, or it could break 500 miles in.... But it's a 35, it could break at any time anyways.

Here's a pic of the worn carrier gears.

image-2779785053.jpg

So rig it, spend the 300 on a 8.8 and start that project. Or spend 300 on a limited slip carrier, and milk that 35 and just build a 8.8 this winter.

I can not afford to get a 8.8 now and finish it. But this isn't a daily driver. I don't need a jeep, I just want one right now!!!!! Lol

Thanks for any input.

Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Bigdude408

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and I have 33" swampers on it right now.... They are in ok shape. I plan on going to 35" tires when I do a 8.8 swap.
Unread 06-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a used carrier, use a special type of loc-Tite to keep the races from spinning and drive it until the 8.8 is ready.

I will go see if I can dig up the number/type of loctite I'm speaking of.
Unread 06-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the stuff is Loctite 620 or Permatex Sleeve Retainer pn# 6400.

Stuff is mean but idk if you'll be able to remove the "glued" in parts again. Maybe with heat?

From a thread on pirate

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-diesel-7.html

Last edited by EricsGreen98Tj; 06-07-2015 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Added link
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Bigdude408

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I should buy a new loaded carrier, and use that locktight? Guess I shouldn't be so cheap...... I just hate wasting money on the 35

If I was going to spend almost 200 on a loaded carrier.... Should I just buy a tru trax or a spicer limited slip?

I was tempted to just weld the damn thing or find a cheap spool... But I'm going to break shafts like crazy! First time I ever looked at a super 35.... That just seems stupid though,expensive and not much better than a stock 44. Why didn't I just swap both axles at the same time!!!!!!
Unread 06-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have u tried to find a junkyard 35 for cheap yet?
Xj, mj, zj, and even late explorers used them.
Tons of them in junk yards. What can a used carrier cost at a jy?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Bigdude408

2003 TJ Wrangler 

To much. Lol. Say jeep to a junk yard and they slap a "hi my name is sucker" sticker on you.

I took that bearing off. It doesn't look bad. I think I'm going to put it together as is with the locktight stuff and just slap in a loka locker. Instead of spending 100 on new spiders put 200 on that locker and see how it goes. It will get me through until I go with a 8.8. Fresh bearings and a new locker will be fine on those 33's.

For a while. I just won't beat on it much.
Unread 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unless u r buying quality shafts, dont put any locker in it.
Explorer front axles were d35 also, get carrier from the jy, or a local 4x4 board.
glfwda #6624
Unread 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
Explorer front axles were d35 also, get carrier from the jy, or a local 4x4 board.
Weren't front 35s TTB? Can't imagine anything of value for a TJ from them. I could be wrong though.
Unread 06-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
kpalm7
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I hit this same dilemma 3-4 years ago in my TJ, it was my DD and I busted the spider gears on 33s. I pulled the ring gear and spider gears out, put the carrier back in, and drove front-wheel-drive til I finished the 8.8 (about a week later). I couldn't stand putting a dime into the 35 knowing how badly I wanted to get rid of it. Looking back, I would have welded what was left of the spider gears into a giant glub of bead, and called it a lincoln locker while I waited on the 8.8.

If you do go the 8.8 route, I can't recommend the Artec Truss kit highly enough. Went together like a jigsaw puzzle, locating mounts was easy as pie. Went together so well that the alignment shop didn't even have to adjust a single thing.
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Weren't front 35s TTB? Can't imagine anything of value for a TJ from them. I could be wrong though.
just a thought for a cheap used carrier.
an explorer carrier might b cheaper, and easier to find, then a jeep one.
an open 35 carrier, is an open 35 carrier, I would assume.
glfwda #6624
Unread 06-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
busbreath
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a ls carrier that had 4:88's on it listed in the adds. Worked good when removed. Even have carrier bearings and races that are unused. Let me know if interested?
Thanks
Doug
busbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Bigdude408

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpalm7
I hit this same dilemma 3-4 years ago in my TJ, it was my DD and I busted the spider gears on 33s. I pulled the ring gear and spider gears out, put the carrier back in, and drove front-wheel-drive til I finished the 8.8 (about a week later). I couldn't stand putting a dime into the 35 knowing how badly I wanted to get rid of it. Looking back, I would have welded what was left of the spider gears into a giant glub of bead, and called it a lincoln locker while I waited on the 8.8. If you do go the 8.8 route, I can't recommend the Artec Truss kit highly enough. Went together like a jigsaw puzzle, locating mounts was easy as pie. Went together so well that the alignment shop didn't even have to adjust a single thing.
I'm definitely going with the truss. It looks like the best bet! I'm not sure if I'll find a welder or try to weld it myself. For about 800 bucks I can get one empty from ecgs. Then I'll set up the 4.88's and a locker.

For now I'll installing them in reverse and gluing the race to the carrier. I'll let you all know how it works. Lol

Worst case senerio, I'll weld the **** out of them! Hobart locker. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.