Put a 95 engine in a 2000 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Put a 95 engine in a 2000 TJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
tjlvr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Put a 95 engine in a 2000 TJ

I blew my original engine (4 cyl) in my TJ. I found a really cheap one out of a wrecked 95 with low miles. I was able to start the 95 before I took it out and it ran fine, it was rear ended by a semi. I swapped them out, which went pretty smooth as far a engine swaps go. My problem now is I have a slight hesitation, almost like it's missing or even bad gas ( but now have ran 2 tanks from different gas stations through it). It does idle just a little rough and I kept the 2000 wiring harness. Here's what's new. Plug wires, coil (2000 - could that be the problem??), plugs, Serpentine Belt, Distributor cap, rotor, Throttle Position sensor, Crankshaft Sensor. All new parts were bought for the 95 engine except the coil. I have checked all vacuum lines and grounds, all seem good.

Any Idea's on what would cause the hesitation? It's not throwing any codes now. It was giving me a P0201, but I changed the injector and that went away. It seems worse in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Help PLEASE!!

tjlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In AZ, you cannot put in an older engine than the year your rig was built. I have no clue how it is in Virginia, I would check local emission laws first.
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

Correct. In VA (and most states) a replacement engine must be the same model year or newer to pass emissions.
97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If all he did was swap the engine as long as he doesn't brag to the smog police nobody will know since the basic block and heads are the same between the 2 engines.

I would start by swapping all the 2000 stuff onto the 95 engine. That way theres no mismatch of sensors and such.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
If all he did was swap the engine as long as he doesn't brag to the smog police nobody will know since the basic block and heads are the same between the 2 engines.

I would start by swapping all the 2000 stuff onto the 95 engine. That way theres no mismatch of sensors and such.

Agreed, you want to run the correct sensors for the harness you are running.

Its either that or you would have to get fancy and look up all the voltage and resistance values for all the sensors from both years to confirm they match.

I doubt they will though, because 95 was still OBD1, where as your 2000 is OBD2.

The throttle bodies may be different (they changed on 4.0's, but Im not sure on 2.5's), so you might have to swap out to your 2000 TB so that you can use your 2000 sensors.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Come to think of it, you also may have fuel pressure issues. On 4 litre wranglers, the fuel pressure was stepped up considerably once the TJ came along.

Another thing to check for.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
tjlvr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am running the 2000 throttle body and exhaust manifold. Now that I'm thinking about it, it ran fine for about 2 days then the hesitation started. I think the only external 95 parts I am running is the coil, cap, plugs and wires. I actually was wrong in my first post.

Fuel pressure, that's interesting. I seem to have good pressure at the rail, but now I'm wondering fuel filter and/or pump? I did notice yesterday the RPM's don't change when it hesitates, which struck me as odd.
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
tjlvr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also, to all the smog police out there. The area of Virginia I live in does not require emission testing.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my friend is having similar problems 95 4cyl engin in a 2000 only his runs like crap, he also swaped all sensors tb and manifold from the 2000 engine to the 95, so basicly he only has the actual 95 block and head and everything else from the 2000 but what about the flywheel?? doesnt the crank sensor read out off the fly wheel?? are flywheels the same or does it have to be swaped too??
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlvr View Post
Also, to all the smog police out there. The area of Virginia I live in does not require emission testing.
So are you in the Hampton Roads area?

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
tjlvr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK PROBLEM SOLVED and boy do I feel dumb. I put new plugs in it when I dropped the engine in and it turned out to be a bad plug! Runs like a champ now. To answer so of the other questions about what I did...

1. Did not need to swap out fly wheel
2. I did make a Mod to the mounts. I used the 95's to fit the block, but I needed to add spacers inside the mounts where it connects to the tub.
3. So it is setup with the 95 block, distributor & mounts, EVERYTHING else is off the 2000.
4. I am in Hampton Roads, Norfolk to be exact.

If you need a Starter, Power Steering Pump or an alternator for a 95 4 Cyl or a A/C compressor for a 2000 let me know :0) Willing to trade or sell out right.

Thanks again everybody and I'm sorry I was a Dumb A&$!!!

Tags
engine swap , hesitating , idles rough , missing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.