Pure Jeep TJ Stretch Gas Tank install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pure Jeep TJ Stretch Gas Tank install

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what happened to me. My new ring was exactly 1/8" smaller. I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump but wish I would have made it fit. I called Pure Jeep and they were no help to me at all. They just said your pump is the wrong size and we have never had this happen before. Now that you have the same problem I am pretty irritated.

Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
jibe004
1999 TJ Wrangler 

and what's up with PJ providing you the wrong ID size hoses? seems like too many issues for the price tag of these tanks.

-Matt
jibe004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
cwildmann
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about to install mine and am worried about the fuel pump issue - which fuel pump part number did you have to buy?
cwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've got a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not even finished installing It took me 7 weeks to get the damn thing. Around 6 weeks, I emailed Gerald and told him to cancel my order and I was going to go with the Genright because I confirmed they were in stock and would ship the same or next day. Unfortunately, the tank had just been shipped out so I decided to keep it. I need to go get some fuel line hose and another coupling and I will try to finish it all up this afternoon.

My Jeep: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ed-tj-1294481/
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
rgvjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmosing View Post
I ended up trimming the gasket with a hobby knife until I was able to jam the assembly in there. It is extremely tight but I think it should be a good seal. The new rubber hoses PJ supplied with the tank for the rollover valves were larger inner diameter than factory, so I reused the stock ones. I just trimmed about an inch off the end where they had been stretched over the valves. This left me a little but short to connect them back to the factory hose up near the frame. I gathered most everything thing I need at Home Depot, except I could not find any rubber hosing. All HD had was vinyl. Does anyone think I need to thicker rubber hose? Or will the vinyl work?

You can see all of the shavings from the gasket
Attachment 517998
same exact thing happened to me the beginning of this year when i did a stretch. it was to small and i had the original pump/bucket. just trimmed the gasket to make it work. for a tank that price, i would have expected a better fit.
rgvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
jibe004
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I've got a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not even finished installing It took me 7 weeks to get the damn thing. Around 6 weeks, I emailed Gerald and told him to cancel my order and I was going to go with the Genright because I confirmed they were in stock and would ship the same or next day. Unfortunately, the tank had just been shipped out so I decided to keep it. I need to go get some fuel line hose and another coupling and I will try to finish it all up this afternoon.
hmm - sorry to hear it. hopefully finding the right parts proves easy and quick! good luck
jibe004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, I'm all done. Jeep runs great. I decided to do it right and buy new hoses for the rollover valves. Autozone sells fuel hose by the foot. I used about 4 feet of 1/4" ID hose and then got (1) T-coupling, and (1) regular coupling to connect the new hoses to the factory line up by the frame. Keep in mind, this is on a 1998 so I'm not sure what everyone else will have. throw a couple of hose clamps on there(I needed 8 ) and you're good to go!

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice
I did the 15gal GenRight tank in 2010 and did not have any issues with the pump install, I did go with a new pump just because the OEM check valve was shot. The only modification I had to do was relocate the ft. side mounting location a little but that was not a GenRight thing it was a aftermarket suspension thing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so after driving it a bit, an issue arose. The jeep is hard to start now. It will crank and crank and then eventually give in and turn over. I haven't had time to dig into it and see what's up. I will obviously check all the lines and wires and make sure everything is hooked up properly, but any ideas on what could be the issue? Maybe my trimmed up gasket not sealing the tank properly?

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok so after driving it a bit, an issue arose. The jeep is hard to start now. It will crank and crank and then eventually give in and turn over. I haven't had time to dig into it and see what's up. I will obviously check all the lines and wires and make sure everything is hooked up properly, but any ideas on what could be the issue? Maybe my trimmed up gasket not sealing the tank properly?
I would check your fuel pressure. It sounds like a bad pump, regulator or check value.

I would look at pressure at key on engine off, engine running and pressure drop after the motor is shut down.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your fuel filter could very well be clogged now. Im willing to bet that's what it is cause I'm sure some gunk collected inside the tank while you were working on it and by the sound of the quality of the tank I bet it wasn't super clean when you received it.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
I would check your fuel pressure. It sounds like a bad pump, regulator or check value.

I would look at pressure at key on engine off, engine running and pressure drop after the motor is shut down.
Ok, specifically how do I check those items? This was the first time I've tinkered with the fuel system so I'm still pretty fresh on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
Your fuel filter could very well be clogged now. Im willing to bet that's what it is cause I'm sure some gunk collected inside the tank while you were working on it and by the sound of the quality of the tank I bet it wasn't super clean when you received it.
Yeah unfortunately that could be it too I guess. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop the tank again, but it looks like I may have to

Unread 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
Timido
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Same Pure Jeep Tank. I had the same issues with the pump fitting. I also have the long cranks. I just thought it was a coincidence. I was planning on replacing my filter/regulator. The Pure Jeep tank was a lot cheaper than a Genright one but If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the Genright one. The Pure Jeep tank took forever to get. As a company they suck.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Timido
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor...sure+regluatpr

I will add that with the GM flapper valve gm part no# 4798301 and go from there
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my long story with the PJ 5" stretch tank. I ordered it and got it within a reasonable time, 2 weeks. I installed it and fought with the pump ring and decided to use RTV instead of the fuel pump ring gasket. I was only able to get 3" of stretch with my 8.8. I was not happy.

I installed my old tank and Rokmen skid back in there and cut up my PJ tank and skid. I had it professionally welded back together and made a skid plate for it from the old one.

It was for sale that whole time, but I ended up reusing it because it was cheaper than a new Gen Right tank and it was here and free.

I moved the 4 rear holes down and welded tabs to the frame and the sides of the skid to act as the front mounts. It ended up better than I expected, with an easy 4" more I can stretch from where I am at now, which is 3" more than the 3" from when the PJ tank was in the first time.
image-2541844891.jpg   image-3787847281.jpg   image-957806909.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.