Pure Jeep TJ Stretch Gas Tank install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pure Jeep TJ Stretch Gas Tank install

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pure Jeep TJ Stretch Gas Tank install

I just bought the Pure Jeep Gas Tank from Savvy and It says that it increases the gas tank clearance 1". I was wondering if it is build anything like the Savvy gas tank skid where you can install it with a body lift and increase the clearance an extra inch by using the space the body lift added? I am guessing that it is like most tanks and build to fit a Jeep with no body and not taking advantage of the extra room if a body lift is installed.

If that is the case I am looking into cutting out the rear cross member and rear cross member/bumper (the 2 mounting locations of the tank) and raising them 1" to get 2" over stock. It would return the rear body mounts and the cross member body mounts the the original height.

I will post up my install once it is here. ~ a week away.

Here is why I need a new tank.

Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I recieved my tank and skid from Savvy today and hoping to get it in tonight. As I understand it is bascially a quick bolt in after you drop in the fuel pump. I am also trying to finish grooving my TSL's tonight so we will see how far I get

I didn't want to go crazy with the groover so I will see if this is satisfactory or if I need to do more.

Unread 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am waiting on my tank right now! Gerald says they will be ready to ship on the 22nd. And that's drop shipped directly from PJ. So I am watching your thread on the install

My Jeep: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...ed-tj-1294481/
bmosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever gets yours installed? I am going to being my install tonight and wanted to see your progress

Unread 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It literally just bolts in the exact same way the stock tank does. There really isn't anything a picture could show. Once the tank is empty it is a hour job by the time you have everything bolted down and hooked back up. I have a huge diff cover and have 5" more behind the diff than I did with the stock tank. I am trying to figure out if I want to just stretch the wheelbase or lengthen the tub at the same time.
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a little write up.

I ordered the Pure Jeep Gas Tank and when it came in my fuel pump did not fit in the tank. I talked with Pure Jeep about it and they were absolutely no help. They basically just said, go buy a new fuel pump because the one you have doesn't fit. I was running out of time so I just bought a new one online and it dropped right in.

I was in a hurry and once I got it all together I noticed my gas gauge did not work anymore. I had just filled it up with a full tank of gas so I did not want to drain it all out to figure out the problem so I have been driving it.''

Here is the patch I made to the cut tank to get it home.

Unread 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Kraxen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Whats the story with that kid? He punch a hole in your old tank to get the gas out? And what a moron if he did at what looks to be at an event with lots of people
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraxen View Post
Whats the story with that kid? He punch a hole in your old tank to get the gas out? And what a moron if he did at what looks to be at an event with lots of people
Lol! That WOULD be an awesome wheeling story though!
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm in the process of installing my tank. It seems like the inside diameter of the hole where the fuel pump assembly goes into is just too tight to fit the assembly in with the gasket. I can't smash it in any more than this. Any ideas of what I should do?
image-1674576174.jpg   image-315150448.jpg  

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here you can see the PJ tank opening inner diameter is about 1/8" smaller than the factory
image-1464780534.jpg   image-3687757729.jpg  

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

call savvy tomorrow morning and say your tank is too small for the hole and send them pics if they need it. thats what i'd do.

will the pump fit in the tank without the gasket? if it does and you have to drive to work tomorrow you can go swing by your auto parts store and get forma gasket #1 and spread that around the ring at the top of the tank to seal it off temporarily. (could be a long term thing but i wouldn't recommend it)

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that's what I was going to do but wanted to see if anyone dealt with this issue and had a fix until tomorrow. It's not my DD so it can sit at the shop until I get a solution. Thanks for the help

Unread 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe put the pump in the freezer for 24 hours and then see if it'll drop in.
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
bmosing

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up trimming the gasket with a hobby knife until I was able to jam the assembly in there. It is extremely tight but I think it should be a good seal. The new rubber hoses PJ supplied with the tank for the rollover valves were larger inner diameter than factory, so I reused the stock ones. I just trimmed about an inch off the end where they had been stretched over the valves. This left me a little but short to connect them back to the factory hose up near the frame. I gathered most everything thing I need at Home Depot, except I could not find any rubber hosing. All HD had was vinyl. Does anyone think I need to thicker rubber hose? Or will the vinyl work?

You can see all of the shavings from the gasket
image-658554646.jpg

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
1tufrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There's really no excuse for something like this to happen. I'm sure you paid good money for that tank. Everything should WORK without worry. Why can't the aftermarket make things that fit like they should? I've been modifying my vehicles since I was 16 years old (I'm now 53) and I have run into problems like this forever. Sorry, but PJ should pay closer attention to their quality control. Telling you to go buy a new pump is unacceptable.
1tufrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.