Pulsing Vibration after Regear - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulsing Vibration after Regear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #61
Stang5lgt
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
Pull the front drive shaft and go for a ride before you mess with a cover, not to mention yanking the carrier to check the pinion preload.

I can't even begin to tell you the amount of time I've spent messing with caster angles to get rid of driveshaft vibs when all along, the front shafts just needed to be rebalanced. r&p is hardly to blame for vibs just because they crop up from a regear and didn't do it stock, you just never got it going fast enough. even a TT can flush out, out of balance CV shafts.
Preload was set with a Snap On inch lbs torque wrench. Set before the carrier was installed. And it was within spec. If there was any play in the pinion you could easily hear it at low speeds cause the gears would be screaming. I know cause people bring me there axles all time that someone else geared for them and I fix them. I had one so loose I thought the pinion was going to fall out it was loud you could hear it at 20 mph. After I tighten it up, replaced the O rings on the guys ARB, and checked backlash he was very pleased.

__________________
For Off Road Deployment
Stang5lgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #62
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang5lgt View Post
Preload was set with a Snap On inch lbs torque wrench. Set before the carrier was installed. And it was within spec. If there was any play in the pinion you could easily hear it at low speeds cause the gears would be screaming. I know cause people bring me there axles all time that someone else geared for them and I fix them. I had one so loose I thought the pinion was going to fall out it was loud you could hear it at 20 mph. After I tighten it up, replaced the O rings on the guys ARB, and checked backlash he was very pleased.
The biggest "mistake" I see come to me are preloads in excess of 25inlbs. I just happen to do gear changes daily here among other things as well.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #63
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I've pulled the front shaft and had it balanced, didn't change anything. If I pull the rear shaft the vibes go away. The rear shaft has been fully rebuilt and balanced. Whats your next suggestion?
it goes away with the shaft, the pinion isn't loose....... recheck the driveline balance/CV centering ball especially if it's made in china which is what most of the popluar bolt in cv shafts have on them. there should be no resistance in the full range of motion.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #64
Stang5lgt
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
The biggest "mistake" I see come to me are preloads in excess of 25inlbs. I just happen to do gear changes daily here among other things as well.
It wasn't over spec. I hate to have you gear my axle 19 in. lbs is max on new bearings and 9 in. lbs. on old bearings for the Dana 44. If you are torquing them up to 25 in. lbs. well then you are putting some extra stress on the bearings.
__________________
For Off Road Deployment
Stang5lgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #65
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
it goes away with the shaft, the pinion isn't loose....... recheck the driveline balance/CV centering ball especially if it's made in china which is what most of the popluar bolt in cv shafts have on them. there should be no resistance in the full range of motion.
no chinese bs, I specified Spicer non-greasable u-joints and parts. driveshaft was fully disassembled & rebuilt...new everything...basically only thing reused was the housing/tube, and that was even turned on a lathe to make sure it was round. this was done by the best driveshaft shop in town that was unanimously recommended over on CO4x4.org....even does high speed dragsters and stuff. he balanced and check the front shaft too...no issues there, and I still have the vibes with the front shaft out.

i'm out of ideas man, lol.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #66
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,974
Decided to get a new driveshaft, and see if that would fix things. So I took a trip to the local you-pull-it to find an XJ/ZJ or Exploder CV front shaft....and as I'm walking through some isles...who do I run into...Stang5lgt, lol. Anywho...I pulled a front shaft out of a ZJ. Stang5lgt found a very small amount of play in the head assembly area of my newly rebuilt driveshaft. So I got the junkyard front shaft shortened, and completely rebuilt by a different driveshaft shop recommended by Stang5lgt.

Big time props to Front Range Driveline in Sheriden, CO. Awesome place & very nice guys.

The new shaft is much smaller in OD, and a bit lighter on the weight side. The vibes have been reduced, probably 50-60% of what I had before...but I didn't get above 70mph. Before, the vibes got really bad above 70mph. But at least now at 70mph I can use the rearview mirror.

The bottom line....still got some vibes, although reduced significantly with the new driveshaft. It's more tolerable now, just not perfect. I've thrown around $450 at rear driveshafts now, and will take the 1st shaft back and "warranty" it. I'll play the pinion angle game again...currently at 2° down.

Next suggestion?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #67
AZJeepNewbie
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
The bottom line....still got some vibes, although reduced significantly with the new driveshaft. It's more tolerable now, just not perfect.
I'd be worried that any driveline vibe that can be felt is tearing up bearings and seals in your TC and diff. Whether it's tolerable to drive would be the least of my worries. I'd ditch the 2 degree offset and go straight. I don't have any vibes from my rear shaft, just the front one.
__________________
2005 Rubicon, Currie JJ SA lift with AEV 3" springs. Link to my build

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #68
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,006
Sorry to hear you're still having issues with this.

I see you ruled out a tweaked tcase output. How does one verify its not bent? (The tcase was used, right?)

Also, have you ruled out a bad gear install? From re-reading the thread, it seems the blamed shifted to the rear driveshaft before totally ruling out the fresh regear.
__________________
OME 2.5" HD|285/75R16 Nokian Vatiiva M/T|Skyjacker Hydros|JKS Front Control Arms|JKS Upper Rear Control Arms|1" PA BL|1" Brown Dog MML|Novak 241OR Cable Shifter Linkage
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!


Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #69
Stang5lgt
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post

Also, have you ruled out a bad gear install? From re-reading the thread, it seems the blamed shifted to the rear driveshaft before totally ruling out the fresh regear.
Sorry but if gears are bad you can hear it they will howl. And told me today you can feel it. No noise. I checked to see how tight the pinion was today and it was nice and snug. Backlash felt perfect. So with no noise and tight pinion I would say it is not the gears. Gears that are not set up wrong make whining or howling noise. Plus if the gears were set up wrong don't you think in 4 mos. the problem would get worse? Thinking since it got better with the new DS we are getting warm.
__________________
For Off Road Deployment
Stang5lgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #70
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
I see you ruled out a tweaked tcase output. How does one verify its not bent? (The tcase was used, right?)
The driveshaft and t-case were used, with less mileage than mine...they were -sean-'s, a very reliable source...t-case has been maintained meticulously and definitely isn't the problem. He ran 35s and 37s with 4.88s with the same driveshaft and t-case without issue.

As to the bad regear, I doubt it.... If the diff is howling, its not loud enough for me to hear it over the tires at any speed.

Maybe the smaller OD makes less vibes because it weighs less & the mass is closer to the axis of rotation?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #71
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang5lgt View Post
Plus if the gears were set up wrong don't you think in 4 mos. the problem would get worse?
I have no idea. I've never installed gears.

If we follow the logic of the tcase and driveshaft working previously on another rig with the same gearing (and ruled out as the culprit), then what other variables changed?
__________________
OME 2.5" HD|285/75R16 Nokian Vatiiva M/T|Skyjacker Hydros|JKS Front Control Arms|JKS Upper Rear Control Arms|1" PA BL|1" Brown Dog MML|Novak 241OR Cable Shifter Linkage
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!


Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #72
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Maybe the smaller OD makes less vibes because it weighs less & the mass is closer to the axis of rotation?
But doesn't that defeat the "it worked on another rig with a similar setup" theory?
__________________
OME 2.5" HD|285/75R16 Nokian Vatiiva M/T|Skyjacker Hydros|JKS Front Control Arms|JKS Upper Rear Control Arms|1" PA BL|1" Brown Dog MML|Novak 241OR Cable Shifter Linkage
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!


Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #73
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Decided to get a new driveshaft, and see if that would fix things. So I took a trip to the local you-pull-it to find an XJ/ZJ or Exploder CV front shaft....and as I'm walking through some isles...who do I run into...Stang5lgt, lol. Anywho...I pulled a front shaft out of a ZJ. Stang5lgt found a very small amount of play in the head assembly area of my newly rebuilt driveshaft. So I got the junkyard front shaft shortened, and completely rebuilt by a different driveshaft shop recommended by Stang5lgt.

Big time props to Front Range Driveline in Sheriden, CO. Awesome place & very nice guys.

The new shaft is much smaller in OD, and a bit lighter on the weight side. The vibes have been reduced, probably 50-60% of what I had before...but I didn't get above 70mph. Before, the vibes got really bad above 70mph. But at least now at 70mph I can use the rearview mirror.

The bottom line....still got some vibes, although reduced significantly with the new driveshaft. It's more tolerable now, just not perfect. I've thrown around $450 at rear driveshafts now, and will take the 1st shaft back and "warranty" it. I'll play the pinion angle game again...currently at 2° down.

Next suggestion?
What's the logic behind being 2° down?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #74
popeyesides
Member
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
Sorry to hear you're still having issues with this.

I see you ruled out a tweaked tcase output. How does one verify its not bent? (The tcase was used, right?)

Also, have you ruled out a bad gear install? From re-reading the thread, it seems the blamed shifted to the rear driveshaft before totally ruling out the fresh regear.
To check if shaft is bent you put it between live centers and a dial indicator like I did and it was perfect, replaced both bearings since I was in there and Tom Woods diveshaft and made no difference, dropped the shaft off for rebalance and still no difference, pulled the 5.13's back out of the front and reinstalled, no difference, pull the front shaft out and smooth as can be. I still have vibes starting at 60mph. Oh well it's not a DD. I can put up with driving 60 to have the 5.13's and 33's. Harmonic vibration from the chain is my best guess as the t-case is spinning like a bat out of hell.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #75
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
What's the logic behind being 2° down?
I was trying to fix the vibes by adjusting the pinion angle, as you suggested earlier in the thread. I tried everything between 1° up to 3° down, in ~0.5° increments, and didn't change anything one bit. It's just currently at 2° because that was the last degree I tested.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pulsing , vibration , regear
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.