Pulsing Vibration after Regear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulsing Vibration after Regear

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
crusty1007

Remove the rear DS & drive it in front wheel drive. See if it goes away.

FYI the vehicle is going to handle differently.

www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
Stang5lgt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
rear pinion seal is leaking like crazy too.

ideas? rear shaft balance? pinion bearing preload?
Well the seal that came with your install kit was not the same as the one I removed so I wondered if it would be a leaker. The rubber was touching but didn't seem snug against the yoke. Pinion bearing preload won't give you vibes just makes noise. I wonder if you have a u joint going bad in the rear shaft. We will check it out when you get here.

Last edited by Stang5lgt; 08-30-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Stang5lgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

had the front driveshaft balanced - that definitely wasn't the problem.

pulled the rear shaft and having it rebuilt & balancede at the driveline shop...new non-greasable u-joints, centering ball and fixing slight play in the slip shaft.

very little vibration with the rear shaft removed...so hopefully that was the issue!

and Josh (Stang5lgt) installed a new rear pinion seal

hopefully i'll be good to go for labor day weekend wheeling
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Stang5lgt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I take it the new seal didn't leak. LOL Good deal.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang5lgt View Post
So I take it the new seal didn't leak. LOL Good deal.
honestly, i didnt even look.
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

ok...

Rear drive shaft is rebuilt & balanced.
Rear output yoke wasn't torqued properly. Set to 150 ft-lbs per AA install manual.

Rear pinion seal still leaking, not quite as bad this time.

Vibes are still there when rear shaft is installed. Obviously related to rear, since removal of rear shaft eliminates them.

Next idea?

Other than this mystery vibe @ 60 mph and greater, the Jeep drives freakin' amazing.
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
Stang5lgt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok...

Rear output yoke wasn't torqued properly. Set to 150 ft-lbs per AA install manual.

Vibes are still there when rear shaft is installed. Obviously related to rear, since removal of rear shaft eliminates them.

Next idea?

Other than this mystery vibe @ 60 mph and greater, the Jeep drives freakin' amazing.
If the rear axle isn't making any noise it shouldn't be the problem. I would get a timken seal I think Autozone has them. I have had good luck with those. If it was the rear axle I think you would have still noticed it when the shaft was off. Try taking the shaft and rotating it 180 degrees at one of the yokes. Mustang guy I know has to put his rear shaft on the same every time otherwise he gets vibes.
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok...

Next idea?

Make some small adjustments to the pinion angle and see if it changes anything.

Also, make sure you don't have a control arm in a bind. On level ground, you should be able to loosen the upper bolts at either end and put a jack under the pinion and raise it very slightly until you can spin the bolts by hand. If you can't, make it so.

After you do that, take it for another drive.
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry you can't get this pinned down, Unlimited! Hope you can figure it out.

I'll throw a WAG in the hat: didn't you install a new tcase? Would a bent rear output cause this? Or something related to the tcase? I have no idea if this would cause what you were experiencing. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Good luck man!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

still vibrating. starts being barely noticable around 55mph...definitely pronounced by 60mph, then very obvious by 70mph and increases in amplitude as you go faster. it vibes enough to shake the rearview mirror like a set of 12" subwoofers. i can also put the tranny in neutral on a downhill (maintaining speed), and it still does it, absolutely no change.

I played with the pinion angle, between 1 down to 0.5 up. loosened the UCA's, LCA's, loosened the tranny mount, all retorqued to spec & no binding.

At this point I'm at a complete loss. The diff makes no unusual noises, sounds just like stock. TrueTrac works like a champ. Maybe it's just a "Jeep thing"??
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #26
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey 04, I feel your pain I am sure you are following the other thread on driveline vibe by AZjeepnewbie, I have spent alot of time on this and I am done screwing with this and am going to enjoy my rig. The 5.13's are worth it.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, hadn't seen this thread before. Probably the same issue as popeyesides and me. With 5.13s, we're running driveshafts at 4,000+ RPM that are only balanced to 2,000 or maybe 2,500 RPM. I'm looking into high speed balancing options. There are shops that will balance shafts at up to 10,000 RPM. Stay tuned for another episode of "As the Driveshaft Turns".

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #28
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
Wow, hadn't seen this thread before. Probably the same issue as popeyesides and me.
I see you guys both have 42RLE's....maybe this is another added benefit of the steep OD ratio?

btw, mine isn't all that RPM dependent...3rd gear, 2nd gear, or OD...doesn't seem to make much difference, although its hard to tell when screaming the engine at 3200+ RPM in 3rd at 65+mph
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I see you guys both have 42RLE's....maybe this is another added benefit of the steep OD ratio?

btw, mine isn't all that RPM dependent...3rd gear, 2nd gear, or OD...doesn't seem to make much difference, although its hard to tell when screaming the engine at 3200+ RPM in 3rd at 65+mph
No, it won't be engine RPM related at all. Tranny gears would make no difference either. It's strictly a tire size versus differential gear ratio issue. That's what dictates your driveshaft speed.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #30
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been chasing mine for years. 02 manual with 4.10's and 2" BB. New front axle and control arms did help some, but that's only because the pinion nut had lossened. Plling the front ds lessens it, but that it seemingly only because the front is acting like a conductor to the entire vehicle through the front axle/steering. Pulling the rea ds seemd to help alot, but that was before the front axle change so it needs to be done again.

I'm currently getting a cheap used rear ds to see if it changes anything. If not I'm going to try some adjustable rear control arms.

In all, I'm in the same boat as you.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
pulsing , vibration , regear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.