Pulsing Vibe from 50-60 mpg - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulsing Vibe from 50-60 mpg

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pulsing Vibe from 50-60 mpg

I have a pulsing vibe that appeared a few months ago and just won't go away. I have read imped's thread and the symptoms seem to be similar to his vibes. For some reason, however, if I turn the OD off then the vibes go completely away which leads me to believe that it is different. Any thoughts as to what I should look at first? I've already checked, and rechecked the pinion angle and CA bushings and all seem to be in good order.

Unread 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a transfer case drop, MML, or SYE/CV drive shaft?

Remove the rear drive shaft and drive in 4HI to see if the vibration is still there.
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Do you have a transfer case drop, MML, or SYE/CV drive shaft?

Remove the rear drive shaft and drive in 4HI to see if the vibration is still there.
No tcase drop but I do have an SYE/CV drive shaft. I'll try removing the drive shaft tomorrow.
Unread 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is your answer

I have the same issue even after a inch t case drop and a 2.5 inch suspension lift. Read posts 13 and 20. It has to do with the Jeeps skid plate and firing order when OD is engaged.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ha...8/#post5970075

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 12-03-2009 at 05:14 PM..
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have an auto, I'd bet that's it. BTW, I fixed all vibes. Earlier this week, I got the jeep up to 100 (yes, 100) mph on a back road with no wobbles or vibes. It felt rock solid....even with my hands off the steering wheel.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You crazy mofo!!!!!!!!!! 100 on 35s Although that's awesome you ditched the vibes man...good job!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
You crazy mofo!!!!!!!!!! 100 on 35s Although that's awesome you ditched the vibes man...good job!
I thought you knew. I made a thread about it a while back and was helping people through their vibes. So you can call me the vibe guru..... It was just a loose rear output nut causing the rear output yoke to move ever so slightly. I couldn't move it with my bare hands nor could I tell the nut was loose until I got a wrench on it. I actually went to remove it to replace the rear output seal (killed by the vibes) and when I went to loosen it (preparing to have to hang on the wrench), it instantly loosened with no real effort. So I said AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Tightened her to 180 ft lbs, went for a drive and no vibes. And yeah, 100mph was actually quite civilized. Well built jeeps will do just fine at higher speeds.... (besides the single digit mpg's). I usually don't go faster than 65 but decided to see how she would do. No worries safety freaks, I was on a wide open highway with a couple miles of open road late at night.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is your answer

I have the same issue even after a inch t case drop and a 2.5 inch suspension lift. Read posts 13 and 20. It has to do with the Jeeps skid plate and firing order when OD is engaged.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ha...8/#post5970075
Wow sounds exactly like my issue, didn't even think to blame it on the skid plate. O well, guess its time for a new skid . Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
If you have an auto, I'd bet that's it. BTW, I fixed all vibes. Earlier this week, I got the jeep up to 100 (yes, 100) mph on a back road with no wobbles or vibes. It felt rock solid....even with my hands off the steering wheel.
Congrats on fixing your vibes man!!
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionAvs View Post
Wow sounds exactly like my issue, didn't even think to blame it on the skid plate. O well, guess its time for a new skid . Thanks for the help guys!
can you say Rokmen?

I couldnt believe it either. But im glad its that and not something else you know?

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 12-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
can you say Rokmen?

I couldnt believe it either. But im glad its that and not something else you know?
I hear you man. I have been stumped by these vibes for a little while now and to know that its the skid plate really makes me feel more at ease.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.