Pulls left after clutching in to shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulls left after clutching in to shift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pulls left after clutching in to shift

I've been having a problem where my jeep will pull to the left after clutching in to shift. Basically when the load is taken off and put back on. It only pulls to the left.

I also have been getting weird noises when shifting. The is always a loud click, which I know can often just fall under the "slack in the drivetrain" but it seems a lot louder than I ever remember it being. It also doesn't always happen immediately after shifting, sometimes taking a couple seconds. There has also been a loud "clunk", like a dropping. It would happen everytime I would shift, but has gone away for a couple weeks.

When clutching in and out in reverse the noises are exponentially worse and my backend just sounds like it is moving in and back out. Sounds terrible.

I've read bad rear bushing but I feel like this all can't just be from those bushings. Would a bad transmission mount cause this as well? I just wanted to get some input before I start replacing things.

rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
condor74
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a lift of some kind? Lockers? Typically a locker can cause this. It will also cause a lot of slack in the drvetrain. To a point this is normal with an automatic locker. Does not apply to selectable lockers. I could tell you some funny stories about dealing with customer jeeps at work with similar issues.
Other possibilities include worn or loose suspension components, damaged differential spider gears, broken axles, or even poorly designed lifts with a lot of bump stear.
condor74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check for a loose control arm bushing. I had a similar problem after a wheeling trip
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowismellow
Check for a loose control arm bushing. I had a similar problem after a wheeling trip
Will do.

As far as the lockers, yes but they are ARBs. So I don't think that would be the issue.
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
condor74
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a lift with a drop pitman arm? If so do you have a drop bracket for you track bar. If the answer is no, even if it is an aftermarket extended track bar, then you will have bump stear. When you let off the jeep will pull to one side and when you accelerate your jeep will pull to the other side. If this is something that just happened and it drove fine before, look for something worn or broken in the suspension or steering.
condor74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check rear, lower control arm bushings.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I checked the lower control arm bushings. I believe they are rubicon express... Only have bushings in the upper portion from what it looks like. Added some grease to them with no change.

Could this be a rear track bar issue? I had the same issue when the bolt had slipped out after wheeling and I didn't realize until after the ride home.

I've also narrowed down the wobble to the rear axle moving left when clutching in at high speeds and the rear moving right when clutching out. From what it feels like at least... That would go along with the track bar theory correct? My rear track bar is still stock, non adjustable.
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
I checked the lower control arm bushings. I believe they are rubicon express... Only have bushings in the upper portion from what it looks like. Added some grease to them with no change.

Could this be a rear track bar issue? I had the same issue when the bolt had slipped out after wheeling and I didn't realize until after the ride home.

I've also narrowed down the wobble to the rear axle moving left when clutching in at high speeds and the rear moving right when clutching out. From what it feels like at least... That would go along with the track bar theory correct? My rear track bar is still stock, non adjustable.
Could be the track bar, but more likely the rear, lower control arm joints/bushings.

Grease wouldn't help this situation. They would be too loose, not too tight.

When you check the rear lowers, what did you check? Did you check to see if they have excess play?
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Could be the track bar, but more likely the rear, lower control arm joints/bushings. Grease wouldn't help this situation. They would be too loose, not too tight. When you check the rear lowers, what did you check? Did you check to see if they have excess play?
I looked to see if the bushing were bad or missing and they were fine. Then I tried to move the control arm front and back and rotate it and I couldn't do either.

Id imagine to lower joints have been pretty dry. Maybe I don't fully understand but I still can't imagine that being the pull. I feel like it would only be able to move at most a half inch inside that joint. When I say pull it's not just a thing similar to having a low pressure tire with a constant pull to the left. It's an immediate dip on the respective side it pulls to and I have to be ready to compensate and yank the wheel a little the opposite way.
Unread 05-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422 View Post
I looked to see if the bushing were bad or missing and they were fine. Then I tried to move the control arm front and back and rotate it and I couldn't do either.

Id imagine to lower joints have been pretty dry. Maybe I don't fully understand but I still can't imagine that being the pull. I feel like it would only be able to move at most a half inch inside that joint. When I say pull it's not just a thing similar to having a low pressure tire with a constant pull to the left. It's an immediate dip on the respective side it pulls to and I have to be ready to compensate and yank the wheel a little the opposite way.
Think what happens with the torque going through the drivetrain.

If the lower bushings are bad, the rear axle will move forward on the driver side and backward on the passenger side when you are on the gas. And vice versa, the axle will move forward on the passenger side and backward on the driver side when you let off the gas.

This causes the rear steer.

When you are just cruising not changing the torque input, torque is being applied in a consistent manner. The slop in the bushings that allows the movement has already reached the maximum value and the bushings then hold their position. When you change the torque input, the bushings shift, this allows the axle to move, and the tires point in a different direction.

Not sure if this makes sense, but I've tried to explain the best I can.

Driving a TJ with this condition will quickly prove the above. It's a handful.
Unread 05-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ah yes that makes sense. I never thought about each side shifting independently. Well then I would guess those joints must be toast. I'm surprised that little of movement in the axle causes so much. I appreciate the help.
Unread 05-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I had RE super flex arms my rear upper control arm rubber bushings wore out before the others. I could tell when they needed to be replaced because my Jeep did everything you described in your original post. Look to see if the rubber appears to be cracked and/or if the bolt no longer appears to be going through the center of the bushing.
Just wanted to point out that your rear uppers could be the problem, not just the lowers.
Unread 05-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Dave
When I had RE super flex arms my rear upper control arm rubber bushings wore out before the others. I could tell when they needed to be replaced because my Jeep did everything you described in your original post. Look to see if the rubber appears to be cracked and/or if the bolt no longer appears to be going through the center of the bushing. Just wanted to point out that your rear uppers could be the problem, not just the lowers.
I didn't really look at the uppers. Certainly will though. Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 05-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor74 View Post
Do you have a lift of some kind? Lockers? Typically a locker can cause this. It will also cause a lot of slack in the drvetrain. To a point this is normal with an automatic locker. Does not apply to selectable lockers. I could tell you some funny stories about dealing with customer jeeps at work with similar issues.
Other possibilities include worn or loose suspension components, damaged differential spider gears, broken axles, or even poorly designed lifts with a lot of bump stear.
If you look to the left of the screen there is a little information window that sometimes has an avatar in it above the persons screen name. If you check there is usually an arrow button you can click that will give you information about the persons Jeep if they have bothered to fill it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowismellow View Post
I also agree!

To the OP: Since you're running selectable lockers you either have a broken locker, worn out control arm bushings, a broken bracket, loose bolts/wallowed holes, or your control arms might be falling apart. In my experience I had a TJ do exactly as you describe because the control arm failed and allowed the axle to move forwards and backwards depending on if I was on the gas or off. Also in my experience a spooled rear axle will do the same thing, and a full case Detroit locker will also do it. Seeing as you have an ARB it's either broken and acting like a spool, or you've got issues with your control arms, bolts, or brackets.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat
Also in my experience a spooled rear axle will do the same thing, and a full case Detroit locker will also do it. Seeing as you have an ARB it's either broken and acting like a spool, or you've got issues with your control arms, bolts, or brackets.
Well I don't think it's that. I used them this past weekend and they seemed fine. I also noticed the dip was either non existent or very small when going down a bridge. So if it was a locker issue I would imagine I would still feel it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.