Puddles In My Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Puddles In My Jeep

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Puddles In My Jeep

so i was recently doing a tune up on my jeep (plugs,wires,cap,rotor) and was moving some stuff out of the back seat when i realized two puddles of water behind the passenger and driver seat . It has been raining hard here lately almost everyday last week and i think the weather seal on my jeep is not good anymore. i have a hardtop if it helps. i am pretty sure it is the weather seal from the hard top to the body but i am not 100% sure. any ideas or common problems i can look at before i take on the task of resealing the whole Jeep.

Thanks

Prunetuck4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
rtiburon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a 97 Sahara w/hard top and soft top and I swap them out now and then. There are two rubber pieces (with metal cores) that fit between the hard top and the body nearest the door latch. They complete the seal, right at the door jam and (at least on mine) they weren't permanently attached to the HT or the body. If you've ever pulled the top off you might have lost one (on mine one would stay on the HT and the other would just fall off). Water can trickle in through there into the rear foot-wells.

Another common leak is from under the cowl on the passenger side (here's a link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...-fixed-893784/) but you'd notice that on the front passenger carpet.
rtiburon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I second the seals on the hardtop by the door latches.. I had the same leak, and realized they werent in DOHH!
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks please explain more about the first leak you said by the door latches. maybe some pictures because i am not really sure what you are talking about. the farthest the water goes forward is about an inch under my passenger seat. so i do not think it is the weather seal under my hood like you said.

thanks for all the information.
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what i mean is the farthest the water goes is about an inch under my seat so i donot think it is the weather seal under my hood. sorry for the confusion.
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i drilled drainage holes in the lowest corners of the tub.

to do this take a hose and fill ur jeep with water, the places where the water accumulates, drill a hole at the lowest point there...
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
rtiburon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunetuck4X4 View Post
thanks please explain more about the first leak you said by the door latches. maybe some pictures because i am not really sure what you are talking about. the farthest the water goes forward is about an inch under my passenger seat. so i do not think it is the weather seal under my hood like you said.

thanks for all the information.
Sorry I don't have my camera handy. Ok, so there are three bolts on both sides that hold down the hard top. The bolts that are closest to the doors on both sides go through the seal pieces I'm talking about. The first time I took the HT off I happened to notice one in the driveway, which was lucky because I was about to run over it. Here's a link to some place that has a picture (no idea who these guys are but they've got a picture of one albeit upside-down) http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/13022_55.htm. Turns out it's called a mucket?...I guess it's got to be called something.
rtiburon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fang i am not down to drill holes in my jeep and plus i have carpet so that would be pointles to drill holes if my carpet just sucks it all up. but thanks for the idea.

rtiburon thanks for the information i will have to check this week sometime if i have the "muckets" haha wierd name i agree. no worries about the pictures i have all the info i need and hopefully this solves the problem as it is supposed to rain this weekend.
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Passenger side = http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...ber=55177256AB
Driver Side = http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...ber=55177257AB
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you JCOOTJ
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Someone stole one of those mucket seals off my Jeep. I went to the dealer and payed $40 for one. I now take them off when I take the surrounds off. I use one of the surround bolts to attach the seals to the surrounds through the hole in the seal, so I wont lose them.
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
JeffB
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
i drilled drainage holes in the lowest corners of the tub.

to do this take a hose and fill ur jeep with water, the places where the water accumulates, drill a hole at the lowest point there...
Quote:
Fang i am not down to drill holes in my jeep and plus i have carpet so that would be pointles to drill holes if my carpet just sucks it all up. but thanks for the idea.
Haha, that illustrates how different we all are with our Jeeps. I'm one of those that keeps my side windows and back window out full-time. The rain drains out of the holes in my tub. When we had snow in Dallas a few weeks ago (Super Bowl week) it laid about 2" of snow in the back of my Jeep. But only about 1/2 inch of snow settled into in the driver seat so no big deal... brush it out and roll.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
Prunetuck4X4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

checked for muckets and it appears i have them.

my weather seal on the hard top does look cracked and not in too good of shape. what do you all think? obviously i should replace it just wondering price on seals and how tough the install will be.

thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.