PSC steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PSC steering box

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
t-bird
1998 TJ Wrangler 

PSC steering box

my steering box is toast. im looking at the PSC steering boxes. whats with the Remanufactured O.E steering box for the tj? will it even be an upgrade? stronger? more reliable?.. or is it just like a brand new stock steering box. im not wanting to spend a whole lot, but if its going to be worth it i'll order one of the other ones if this one is just going to be like the stock one.
it seems like a good deal, even if it wont be an upgrade. because auto part stores are wanting $180 + for a new steering box of some other brand ive never heard of.

Poly Performance Inc.*::*Steering*::*Power Steering Gears*::*Jeep Steering Gears*::*PSC Jeep TJ, XJ & YJ Steering Gear - Jeep JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CTM, Johnny JointsŪ, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Pit Bull Tires, R

any advice would be appreciated

Unread 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

could always find one at a junkyard. Im pretty sure people have used the steering boxes from dodge durangos.

but the PSC box looks beast and they're a awesome company

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Zackb911
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I spent last night reading all kinds of threads on Steering Gear Boxes.

Basically PSC is a great company and makes a great product (I'm actually surprised that price is so reasonable).

Durango box isn't needed unless you have big tires 34"+, but it does has shorter turn lock to lock which might be nice and feel slightly quicker in the steering. Durango box is $170ish around me NAPA etc.

The stock TJ rebuild from autozone etc is $140 and all the vast majority of us need.

So to me, the PSC doesnt look bad at all for $160, although, shipping and possibly return core shipping might be a pain and $$.

If you want something now and run 33's or less I would just go stock TJ replacement from a local place.
Zackb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i went with PSC along with the rmote reservoir, new pully and all new hoses. my only issue is with overheating on the trails but that will be fixed here shortly as i bought a cooler for it. with my 35s aired down to 5psi i have complete control of the steering wheel with ease. even my 11 year old son can drive it aired down like that. no fighting the wheel
steering-002.jpg   steering-001.jpg   steering-005.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i run agr's rock ram. it turns my 37s no prob and i havn't even installed the ram yet.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking at buying a similar PSC setup. Is there any advantage in using the remote reservoir over the onboard? Did your belt size change at all? Also what skid plate do you have on there?

Thanks!

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.