PSC Hydro Assist? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PSC Hydro Assist?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

PSC Hydro Assist?

I have a 2005 LJ, and looking into the PSC hydro assist steering. Anyone with any experience with this setup? I drive my jeep on the road alot, and wife takes it to work on occasions. Turning the 35" tires isn't bad, but could be easier. I also read that the steering box on newer TJ's is a timebomb, so I'm going to upgrade at least the box anyway.

V-8unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My "NextJeep" will be a Rubicon Unlimited with 35's and I'd like to hear some opinions on the PSC hydro assist as well.

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

PSC seems to be the top of the line. There CS is reported to be great. I've never done anything with them. My cheap self will do a home brew solution when I get around to it.
Unread 12-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

hey 'cpt jeep' still having fun at kaena point?

alot of times its just easier and faster to buy systems already put together with all the r&d done for you. there are so many ram assist write-ups, however, the home brew version can be done by just about anyone.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Tikitgvr

I have heard good things about psc, but their price is ridiculous. I would give these guys a call

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html

They are great people to deal with, very popular on pirate, and the guy that runs/owns it use to be partners with psc..and of course price is way better...
Tikitgvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
hey 'cpt jeep' still having fun at kaena point?

alot of times its just easier and faster to buy systems already put together with all the r&d done for you. there are so many ram assist write-ups, however, the home brew version can be done by just about anyone.
Did you recognize it off my avatar? I just changed it.

And no. I have a mysterious pop/clank than I can't track down, and I don't want to break something and get stranded. I'm going to jack it up and crawl under it with a BFRH (big f'ing rubber hammer) and bang around until I find something loose. PM me if you're ever going up offroading, I'm looking for someone to go with.

But I don't want to hi-jack this thread. I really want to see some opinions about this and if its really worth a thousand bucks!
Unread 12-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, is it not worth the money or does nobody have it on their jeep?
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-8unlimited View Post
I have a 2005 LJ, and looking into the PSC hydro assist steering. Anyone with any experience with this setup? I drive my jeep on the road alot, and wife takes it to work on occasions. Turning the 35" tires isn't bad, but could be easier. I also read that the steering box on newer TJ's is a timebomb, so I'm going to upgrade at least the box anyway.
What hydro assist kit from PSC are you referring to?

I haven't dug around on their site, I just call and order the components I need when I build something, so I'm not aware of a TJ specific Ram for the assist side of things.

Perhap you can point me to what you're talking about?
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure that a ram is vehicle specific, however I was planning on buying a kit from them, using the chevy pump, jeep box and all related items. I apologize for calling it a "kit" if you just buy individual parts. However I am thinking about installing it to prevent losing my factory box and making steering alittle easier.
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-8unlimited View Post
Not sure that a ram is vehicle specific, however I was planning on buying a kit from them, using the chevy pump, jeep box and all related items. I apologize for calling it a "kit" if you just buy individual parts. However I am thinking about installing it to prevent losing my factory box and making steering alittle easier.
Rams aren't vehicle specific unless it's a TJ with the inverted Y steering.

Then you have special needs in that there are few places you can mount a ram that won't crash into stuff when the suspension cycles.
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think this is the kit he's talking about (and the one I'm interested in)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_6005.htm
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any insight in regards to PSC's "kit", but I do run a PSC box and ram. They both work well.
Here's a link to a thread I created when I re-did my steering:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re-done-steering-trackbar-brackets-pics-619663/

I can only imagine that PSC's "kit" is FAR from bolt on. Many things need to be addressed when adding a ram to a TJ. My first set-up was OK, but not really correct. I used to have the ram mounted where the steering stabilizer is on a stock TJ. This worked OK, but I wanted better.
That meant a ram mounted to the axle, and connected to the tie-rod. This also meant a true knuckle to knuckle tie-rod. This also meant a new trackbar. This also meant a new track bar mount. This also meant a different pitman arm. This also meant,,,,,,bla bla bla.
This get pretty involved, pretty quickly.
But I'm glad I did it. I can't imagine running the rocks on 35's without hydro assist steering. It's a night and day difference.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jeez, I have the currie steering setup now, and would like to be done wrenching on this thing for awhile! LOL. I'll look into it more, thanks Ryan for the insight, nice setup on your frontend.
Unread 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
4130jeeptj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the AGR rock ram kit and it has been the best mod yet! Worth every penny !!! I can turn while wheeling now and not fight the steering wheel to turn when the locker is engaged....
Unread 12-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
jeepwcrazy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANSTULC View Post
I don't have any insight in regards to PSC's "kit", but I do run a PSC box and ram. They both work well.
Here's a link to a thread I created when I re-did my steering:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619663

I can only imagine that PSC's "kit" is FAR from bolt on. Many things need to be addressed when adding a ram to a TJ. My first set-up was OK, but not really correct. I used to have the ram mounted where the steering stabilizer is on a stock TJ. This worked OK, but I wanted better.
That meant a ram mounted to the axle, and connected to the tie-rod. This also meant a true knuckle to knuckle tie-rod. This also meant a new trackbar. This also meant a new track bar mount. This also meant a different pitman arm. This also meant,,,,,,bla bla bla.
This get pretty involved, pretty quickly.
But I'm glad I did it. I can't imagine running the rocks on 35's without hydro assist steering. It's a night and day difference.
Can you throw a picture up of your setup? I already have the knuckle to knuckle tie-rod but I need to figure out the rest.

**Never mind, I see you posted a link**
jeepwcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.