Prothane progressive coil spring inserts write up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Prothane progressive coil spring inserts write up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

They're fine when crawling, don't even notice them. Just gotta make sure that they're the proper length.

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #47
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Took the jeep to Silver Lake sand dunes on the west side of Michigan this weekend. Gave me a lot of time to test these prothane's. So far I still only have them in the front but what a difference! Landings are so smooth. I never thought I could get my jeep to hang with prerunners in whoops!
http://youtu.be/cr0gdoNldkM
Some guy snapped this one on his cell phone and sent to to me so the quality is pretty bad.
http://youtu.be/gmAGOYTJIeQ

sorry for the links, the embedded code wasn't working.
03 Rubicon, highlined rear fenders, RC long arm upgrade, 4" RC springs, OME shocks, 35" mt's, UCF lopro trans mount, UCF 2" deep skid, nates 4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, 2" jks bumpstops, jks discos, RK frt track bar, tom woods cv. rebuild pics: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/mxtrails/Jeep/
mxtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #48
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

niiiiiice!!! so when are you coming to so cal to play in the mojave with us???
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #49
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

cool they worked out for you as well

as mentioned before I have them front and rear now ... and now the scary stuff gets even more scary ... because FAAAASTER

and thanks for the feedback
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #50
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a chance to install the rear prothanes this weekend. I decided to try the post mount idea. Here's a few photos of the install. I haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

I found some threaded rod that fit tight inside the insert to keep it secured to the axle.

The prothane was a very tight fit to get inside my 4" rough country coils. Lube was needed. I even extended the spring with a strut compressor to make more room.

Here it is installed with the suspension at full extension.

My flex did suffer after the install but some more testing will determine if they really are hindering my rock crawling ability. The rear tire used to tuck under the flare a little.
03 Rubicon, highlined rear fenders, RC long arm upgrade, 4" RC springs, OME shocks, 35" mt's, UCF lopro trans mount, UCF 2" deep skid, nates 4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, 2" jks bumpstops, jks discos, RK frt track bar, tom woods cv. rebuild pics: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/mxtrails/Jeep/
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #51
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Right on! We still haven't touched my rears. I'd like to do this and relocate the upper spring perch at the same time.
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #52
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd also like to relocate my perch along with outboarding the shocks however, with the old man emu shock valving, and these bumps, it handles pretty darn good already!
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #53
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok...you guys have got my attention. I like the slow trails but really enjoy playing in the dunes when I get a chance. I have already re located my rear coils and would like to try something to improve the suspension when hitting the whoops and on bigger hits. This looks like it might work until I can spring for my COs in the future. I have the RE 4.5 LA. What would you say would be the best lengths to start with? I know some trial and error will be needed but I'm looking for a starting point. For instance... a set of 4 "rings" for the front and 3s for the back, order the longest they have (10s I think) and cut to trim, or something else? I like the rear "mounts" that mxtrails did. I may try something similar.

Thanks for any input.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #54
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

love it, as long as your shocks arnt bottomed out you can cut a little more off to get more flex. or drill some holes in the prothane to soften em up a little
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #55
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
What would you say would be the best lengths to start with? I know some trial and error will be needed but I'm looking for a starting point. For instance... a set of 4 "rings" for the front and 3s for the back, order the longest they have (10s I think) and cut to trim, or something else?
Thanks for any input.
I bought a pair of 8 rib prothanes and cut them into 3 ribs for the front (also using the stock bump stop) and 5 rib in the rear (removed the stock bump stop and installed a spring retainer plate). There definitely was a lot of suspension cycling and measuring done before i settled on length of the prothanes. I still need to do something in the front but the rear, i used the prothane mount post as a solid stop just before my shocks bottom in the rear. i have at least 3 inches of progressive bump stop before that point. In theory the prothane stops compressing right around the point where the post will contact the upper plate. we'll see how it works out in real life.

Here's a photo of the prothane size vs the mount size.
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtrails View Post
I'd also like to relocate my perch along with outboarding the shocks however, with the old man emu shock valving, and these bumps, it handles pretty darn good already!
My rear end bottoms out a lot with my 4" springs and Bilstein 5100s, and that's with a relatively light rear end (no tire carrier or back seat, spare in the tub.) It's like the front floats over everything, and the rear just slams into it. Win tjdualsport relocated his rear springs he said it helped a lot with bottoming out.
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #57
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yup, taking the arc out of the rear coils really helped. i really wanna throw some prothanes in the back asap.
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #58
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

We need to stop talking about it and get to work!
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #59
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have another dunes trip planned in the next month sometime. Can't wait to try them out. I'll be sure to get a better video this time too.
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #60
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sub. this is a really interesting idea.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.