Prothane progressive coil spring inserts write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Prothane progressive coil spring inserts write up

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Prothane progressive coil spring inserts write up

progressive bumpstops or "poor man's speed bumps"

(EDIT: for the full story and all contributions/experiments/mounting options read on ...
for the fast forward to my personal actual mounting hardware and status Revision 2 : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pr...l#post14416663 )

For our dune bashing here in the UAE I was looking to add some speed bumps to my suspension. During my research I stumbled over a thread on NAXJA where some guys successfully used prothane coil spring inserts to avoid hard bump stopping.
My OME HD springs were still too soft in the rear where going fast through ditches was causing annoying kicks of the rear ...

As I was going to add some bumpstops for my coming 33" tires I decided to give the prothanes a try. I ordered a set of 2 x 10" inserts from jegs to be cut down as needed ... see below.

needed_01.jpg

The prothane instructions were recommending FLOATING (loose) install.
To protect the inserts from the upper BS towers or cups I decided to fabricate some covers ... (4 needed)
A 3" thick washer and a 1.5" piece of metal tube (38mm diam) welded together and sprayed with black barbecue rustproof will do
Just as a precaution I epoxied the snug fitting covers with marine epoxy to the prothanes (only upper cover needed)

needed_02.jpg

My actual 31" do not need BS extensions in the front with my N66 ... but in the rear I need 1.25" BS extension to protect my shocks (N67), tub (TB rel bracket) and spring from over compression (yes I have added 0.4" spacer)

33" tires would need 2" bumpstop extensions to avoid fender contact.
With a 1.25" BL (coming ) 1"-1.5" would be enough.

prothanes compress to 60-70% of original size ... so 3 rings (3.5") would compress to 2-2.5" ... to come down to around 1.5" BS extension I replaced the upper jounce bumper cups with some ACOS hard rubber bump stops I had lying around.
You can cut the PU micro cell foam coil spring inserts with a sharp knife to 3 rings.

Front:
front.jpg

For the rear I had to be a bit creative, as floating installation inside the rear springs would leave to much room for the inserts to tilt freely around.

The inserts (3.5" diam.) do NOT slide into the rear springs from top or bottom. So some lube and force and I was able to squeeze the rear inserts between the spring passes ring by ring. (unmounted springs!)

To limit the "degree of freedom" of the inserts I needed to increase the outer diameter with some flexible stuff which would not interfere with the springs.
Some creativity with AC pipe insulation tube (foam rubber) and some zip ties later...
Rear:
rear.jpg

RESULT : AWESOME ... During the Abu Dhabi Desert challenge where our club was taking care of some transportation for the press the rear of my heavy loaded TJ was not kicking anymore and my stuff (water and fuel cans) stayed where it supposed to be
Speeding through the big and small (mean) dunes did not cause any hard bump stopping or TB rel bracket hitting tub or rear TB contacting gas tank skid.
Speeding over flat sandy "sabkhas" (dried mud valleys) was possible with more than 60mph !!!
It was like having "endlessly progressive" coils in the front and rear!
You can "fine tune" the inserts by drilling some holes which will allow them to compress softer (and further) ... I did NOT do it, since I needed the extended bump stop dimensions and the softness was ok for me!

Maybe one more thing : I do not like to jump like the inspirers on NAXJA ... I cannot afford a breakdown in the middle of the empty quarter desert 50 miles from the next road ... my driving style is more like "melted cheese on toast"

and here was the test area (our favorite wheeling ground) :
dune_tj_03.jpg

mine is the one in the middle (midnight blue)
in the background MOUNTAINS of nice sugar sand ... sand surfers paradise

chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice idea and a very nice writeup. And that sure is a lot of sand, totally different the type of deserts I wheel in. Heck dunes like that would kinda scare me, I'd be afraid of who's coming at me from the blind side of one of them. We have a similar area full of huge sand dunes fairly close to me called Glamis and there are lots of serious accidents out there from wheelers and motorcyclists running into each other virtually every weekend during the cooler wheeling season.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yup ... scary ... high altitudes and steep angles with low traction ... but not too risky (except driving mistakes in off camber situations and on steep slip faces )

Last edited by chmo; 01-10-2011 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: offtopic somehow
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup! A few questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
The prothane instructions were recommending FLOATING (loose) install.
To protect the inserts from the upper BS towers or cups I decided to fabricate some covers ... (4 needed)
A 3" thick washer and a 1.5" piece of metal tube (38mm diam) welded together and sprayed with black barbecue rustproof will do (only upper cover needed)
1. I assume the "piece of metal tube" is pretty short? It seems like if it were more than an inch it would interfere with compression (see max compression question below). Have you had any problems with it working loose as the foam expands and contracts?

Quote:
prothanes compress to 60-70% of original size ... so 3 rings (3.5") would compress to 2-2.5" ... to come down to around 1.5" BS extension
2. I'm not clear what you mean here - are you saying they compress up to 70%? I.E. 3.5" compresses down to 1", so the inserts are equivalent to a 1" bump stop extension?

Quote:
For the rear I had to be a bit creative, as floating installation inside the rear springs would leave to much room for the inserts to tilt freely around.

To limit the "degree of freedom" of the inserts I needed to increase the outer diameter with some flexible stuff which would not interfere with the springs.
Some creativity with AC pipe insulation tube (foam rubber) and some zip ties later...
Rear:
Attachment 178253
3. How did you zip tie the A/C pipe insulation to stay in place? How is this holding up?

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any more info you can give us on this Chmo? i'd also like to hear the questions above answered. i have been looking into doing these on my rig as well.
03 Rubicon, highlined rear fenders, RC long arm upgrade, 4" RC springs, OME shocks, 35" mt's, UCF lopro trans mount, UCF 2" deep skid, nates 4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, 2" jks bumpstops, jks discos, RK frt track bar, tom woods cv. rebuild pics: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/mxtrails/Jeep/
mxtrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
Nice writeup! A few questions:

1. I assume the "piece of metal tube" is pretty short? It seems like if it were more than an inch it would interfere with compression (see max compression question below). Have you had any problems with it working loose as the foam expands and contracts?

2. I'm not clear what you mean here - are you saying they compress up to 70%? I.E. 3.5" compresses down to 1", so the inserts are equivalent to a 1" bump stop extension?

3. How did you zip tie the A/C pipe insulation to stay in place? How is this holding up?
re1.) Yes the welded on piece is in my case about an inch long ... just to be on the safe side keeping enough distance to the pad under full compression.

re2.) no NOT 70 % compression ... 60-70 % of original size after compression means 30-40% compression (if you do not remove material by drilling holes) so : 3 rings=3.5" ... compress down to 2-2.5" size ... I HAVE 1.5" equivalent because I removed the UPPER jounce bumpers PLUS JOUNCE BUMPER CAPS and put the acos rubber end bump stops which I had lying around. So the top is basically the BS tower plus a bit compressed rubber.

re3.) initially I put a long enough zip tie INSIDE the A/C pipe insulation and pulled just enough to close the ring ... cut the rest off. it might leave a small gap where the pipe is cut ... depending on your "creativity" when cutting the pipe and the softness of the foam pipe ... not critical. And the latest foam pipes are holding up well !!! (before I did the write up I had some very soft stuff (got torn) which I replaced with the stuff you see in the pics ... and thats OK!)

and sorry for the late reply ... i missed the "auto notification" mail somehow
Unread 03-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

latest findings after like 10 trips with them :

the front: Great !!! exactly working like they supposed to ...

the rear: some "fine tuning" of the foam pipe was (and still is) necessary ... first the foam pipes were being pushed up by the spring passes under decompression in such a way that the inserts were misaligned. Then after tightening the upper foam pipes up a bit (with external zip ties) I find my inserts always up side down ... the metal cap is resting on the spring pad.
Fix : the 3 rings are 3.5" long ... short enough to be able to perform a full turn inside the springs ... maybe making them 3.5 rings long and adding just ONE more foam pipe will do the trick.
And it has something to do with the weight of cap ... the inserts are now heavy headed. So another fix would be to make the lower part heavier to keep them from rotating. Still fiddling around!!

BUT I NEVER BOTTOMED OUT MY REAR again. No clunks from the TB hitting the gas tank skid and no TB relocation bracket hitting the tub any more
No hard bum stops and NO abrupt "rebounds" anymore ...

I have a spare 10" insert ... just for the case I destroy my rear inserts before figuring out a more stable "floating" installation.

One more thing : make sure the metal pipe piece fits REAL snug into the opening of the inserts ... maybe some additional layer of tape to make them thicker!? Epoxy was useless after pushing the setup hard ... and one of the caps got lost (of course I had a spare one )
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the update! I've been debating between these or terra flex speed bumps. Since these look real easy to instal, I may just give these a try in the front and see how I like them if they're cheap enough. I def need to do something in the rear eventually since I have the same issue with the tb bracket smacking the tub. Thanks again for the write up!
03 Rubicon, highlined rear fenders, RC long arm upgrade, 4" RC springs, OME shocks, 35" mt's, UCF lopro trans mount, UCF 2" deep skid, nates 4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, 2" jks bumpstops, jks discos, RK frt track bar, tom woods cv. rebuild pics: http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/mxtrails/Jeep/
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

One set (2 inserts with 8 rings each) :
http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/19-1705/10002/-1
$ 63.99 ships on monday

was enough for me ...

Just to have spare and to justify the shipping to the UAE I ordered TWO sets

(and you are welcome )
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely worth a try at that price! thanks chmo!
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I still dont get how you get them in the rear springs. did you have to bend the spring to make the side coil gap wider???
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i was thinking about how to stabilize the insert in the rear. it seems the best approach would be to forget the cap on top but instead flip the whole insert/cap assembly upside down and weld the cap to the lower coil bucket. essentially you'll have the insert impaled on a stick and glued on. lol
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
I still dont get how you get them in the rear springs. did you have to bend the spring to make the side coil gap wider???
was not necessary.
with the spring unmounted lying on the ground I squeezed the coil inserts of course without any foam pipe zip tie art between the passes ring side by ring side.
some grease on the inserts and some elbow grease and strong thumbs helped a lot

The prothane coil spring inserts are quite flexible!!! (softer than many hard rubber bump stops)
If you drop the uncut 10" insert vertically on the floor you will be surprised how high it will rebound
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtrails View Post
i was thinking about how to stabilize the insert in the rear. it seems the best approach would be to forget the cap on top but instead flip the whole insert/cap assembly upside down and weld the cap to the lower coil bucket. essentially you'll have the insert impaled on a stick and glued on. lol
yup ... one guy on NAXJA welded the piece of tube directly to the pad, another guy drilled the pad and fixed the cap with a screw to the pad ...

but I seriously doubt, that the insert will stay on that 1" tube even if glued.
the impact from the upper tower will loosen any glue ... and the inserts are flexible.

the floating install really makes sense!
only the tilting/tumbling problem and the opening problem have to be solved.
will do some experiments and post results ... but right now I am busy breaking my new 4.88 gears in
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
mxtrails
2003 TJ Wrangler 

just got my set of prothanes from jegs today does anyone know how/where the jeepspeed guys drill these to give them more travel/softer hit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.