protecting powder coat on new bumper/bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > protecting powder coat on new bumper/bars

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
massjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

protecting powder coat on new bumper/bars

so i live in the salty northeast and have had tons of experience with powdercoated products for trucks all of which end up looking like rusty pieces of S**t in no time. so i was purchasing some POR-15 for the frame and underbody and came upon a clearcoat product they make. my thought was to paint the entire bumper and side bars with the clear coat before installing. however, i have to take some sandpaper to the finish on the powdercoated bars so the clear coat will stick. has anyone done this? am i out of my mind to sand a new product? will the clear coat cover up the scuffing from the sandpaper and make the bars look good again? i do not want a repeat of the same old powder coat issues i have had on every bumper i have ever owned but i am nervous about sanding a perfectly good looking bumper.

massjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.