pros/cons of rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > pros/cons of rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-31-2002, 10:26 AM   #1
GRLSCAN2

pros/cons of rubicon

I probably won't do this, but just wanted to hear people's views:

There has been so much hype about the rubicon that i'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just wait, and buy one of those. Mr. Bill says I'll be paying between $24-28 thousand. Much more than I want to pay, but maybe worth it? lockers and front D44 is great. I want to add a lift and bigger tires to whatever jeep I get, and wouldn't it be pretty wasteful to just remove 31's that come on the rubicon? Afterall, that's a small part of the reason it is more. Like 'jrtj2001' said, can't you just build up a sport?

quick-loc front, limited slip rear (for now!)
JKS quick disco's
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
uhh...hi-lift, CB, windshield-mount lights, and other toys
(but growing)
GRLSCAN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
TJBrowder

In my opinion, I would get a Sport and make my own mods to it. From what I am getting from my local dealers, they are not going to order a great deal of the Rubicons for the lot, and they are going to get every penny they can for the ones they do....

Considering what the Rubicon will cost, and what you can do to a Sport for the increase in dollars, I think you would have a Sport that is more capable than the Rubicon for the same amount of money.

Don't take me wrong.....I think that the Rubicon will be one kick-butt-out-of-the-box machine. If I bought one, I know that I would probably lift it some, and put larger tires on it, even though I told myself I wouldn't at the time of purchase.
'01 TJ, 3" BDS lift, OME LT Shocks, 32" Goodyear MT/R's, Eagle Alloy 1869's, Warn Rock-Slider rocker skids, JKS discos, KC's, Alpine deck, Infinity noise makers, Hi-Lift mounted on front bumper and fire extinquisher mounted on tranny tunnel......

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #6[/b]
TJBrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
cptyarderho

The key advantage to the Rubicon is it is al designed to work together, under warranty baby!! yes, the sport is cheaper-- if you like the mods, that is a great route. I would swap the tires at the dealer, so I get credit for the ones I do not need. Here in Va a couple of dealers were willing to work with me (at a reasonable price no less) when i bought my Sport. The reviews in the mags seem to indicate this thing is awesome!! just read the JP article last night...
Unread 07-31-2002, 11:36 AM   #4
Bob J

I don't buy the hype either, I would replace most of the cool stuff anyways with my preferred brands.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
cptn_mrgn78
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you get a Sport and upgrade it to the spec. as a Rubicon you would end up paying more than a Rubicon or at least the same amount. Not only are you getting front and rear air lockers, front and rear disc brakes, front and rear D44, diamond plated rocker panels, but you would also get a 4 to 1 transfer case and 4.10 gears. And a warranty to fix it all when it breaks.

New: '05 Unlimited
cptn_mrgn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:08 PM   #6
bonjo

I got to drive a Rubicon in Branson last week, and I'm telling you, it's a sweet machine. The sticker price on the one I drove was about $23k. It's a lot of machine for the money, and priced withing a few hundred of the Sahara. Dana 44's front and rear just by themselves are worth a ton. The 4.11 rearend and 4:1 transfer case make it a real crawler. The course I drove on was pretty cool, with a 45 degree climb up and down, followed by a 30 degree climb, a crawl over a stack of logs about 10' high, down into a hole they scooped out of the ground and then finally over a pile of boulders (they trashed a few bumperetts on that one). I'd never driven a Jeep with such a low range. They had you drive the whole course with your foot off the gas - just idle along in 1st gear and 4-lo. No gas, no brake. It was pretty amazing!

The air lockers (from what the engineer in charge of the project told me) are stronger than anything they could find. During development, he said they tried, but just couldn't break it. The fact that it requires such low pressure is probably a plus - I remember watching an ARB equiped Wrangler malfunction on a particulary tough hill climb. When it went, the high pressure blew the dif plug right out of the pumpkin, dumping gear oil all over the hill.

The engineer I spoke with was one of two in charge of the Rubicon. both are true off-roaders (the guy has 5 old jeeps that he's built up himself). Sitting at a bar, they came up with a dream sheet of everything they wanted for the perfect trail Wrangler. The development costs were staggering (at least to me) - 5 million for the transfer case, 3 million for the lockers, and so on. After selling the project, he was surprised that they got almost everything they wanted.

Anyway, if you want one, you'll probably have to wait til next year. They really didn't think the demand for this model was going to be that high, so the production comitments from their OEM's for these special parts wasn't that high. I think they're planning to build only 8,000 this year. 4,000 are already spoken for. Next year, production will be much higher.
bonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 03:35 PM   #7
TJBrowder

If 23k is the correct number, sign me up..!!

Dealer quoted me $26,900 plus destination and TTL.....
'01 TJ, 3" BDS lift, OME LT Shocks, 32" Goodyear MT/R's, Eagle Alloy 1869's, Warn Rock-Slider rocker skids, JKS discos, KC's, Alpine deck, Infinity noise makers, Hi-Lift mounted on front bumper and fire extinquisher mounted on tranny tunnel......

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #6[/b]
TJBrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 06:54 PM   #8
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

For $28K, you could have a really kick *** CJ built x2's as strong!!
Unread 07-31-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
'drack

If I was in the market I'd definitely be checking one out. Dual 44's and selectable lockers(rear doubling as a limited slip when open). 4:1 tcase gearing. SYE. And most appealing... 4.10's in the pumpkin. Perfect for my 33's. Add a lift and some real skids and you're set. The only thing I'd do though, would be to remove that gaudy "Rubicon" lettering on the hood .

Keith
Unread 08-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #10
MFairbourn

When you consider that a new sport that isn't stripped, is 23K, A few thounsand more is nothing for what you are getting... Plus the warrenty on all the parts from 1 place.
MFairbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
Grady

Quote:
Originally posted by MFairbourn

99 TJ-With Tow hooks
99 WJ (Wife's)--She has tow hooks too.
77 CJ7--With Big *** Tow Hooks.
I don't believe you.
I wanna see these tow hooks.

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #3
USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2002, 08:15 PM   #12
MFairbourn

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady

I don't believe you.
I wanna see these tow hooks.

Your don't believe me... Well it's true .. I have a digital camera, I just need somewhere on the intenet to post them, so I can link to them.
MFairbourn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.