pros and cons of LCG build? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > pros and cons of LCG build?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

pros and cons of LCG build?

so. i'm kinda planning where i wan't to go with my jeep, so i don't end up spending more money replacing the same parts more than once.

i've always liked the look of LCG rigs with big tires. and now my province is talking about making it illegal to run any type of lift or lowering kit. so its might not be too easy to get away with 4 of 5 inches of lift.

just looking for some info from people who have a bit of experience with these type of builds

are there any serious draw back's to a LCG build that i should be aware of?

ideally i'd like to run 37's with tube fenders and a highline kit, with a belly up and possibly a fuel cell

nothing is set in stone and it's going to be something that would take place over the next year or so. i'm a poor student so nothing about this will come quickly. but i'm just looking to gain some general knowledge on the subject

cack- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

well if they out law lifts you prob wont get away with 37s,

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You outta look up the member search. He's got lots of good info on LCG builds.

LOL
Couldn't help myself.

A cheap alternative would be:

-JKS quick disco's
-JKS rear sway links
-JKS F&R trac bar
-2.5" RC lift (TNT aka treks also makes one, but it's pricey)
-DIY highline (cheaper then AEV)
-gen right, overkill engineering, tnt, SRC, rugged ridge, bluetorch fab, ect.... all make tube flares. And for your 37's I'd recommend em.

most importantly... vanco brakes kit. Especially for how heavy you are going to be with the armor and the 37's. At least 5.13 gears.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the talk now is that you aren't allowed to have any suspension components that aren't OEM or "engineer approved". otherwise your vehicle needs to have a reconstructed tag on it.

there is so much confusion with these law's that are supposed to pass in one month though. because the engineer that has to approve of your components lives in a different province. theres apperently only one guy that can give the stamp of approval.

all in all i think some word's in the inspection book's are being misinterpreted and rumors are spreading around too fast with no "law" to back it up.

Last edited by cack-; 05-03-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you are stuck with the stock suspension, You could do as you said a highline F&R, Tube fenders F&R, and add a 1" BL for a MML, Tummy Tuck, and 1" Gas tank lift. That'd be decent clearance and room for 35"s, but probably not 37"s

We're building a 97TJ this way but w/ a 2.5" suspension lift, longer shocks/towers, and heim-jointed control arms.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
BarneyJEEP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OME as in Old Man Emu? if so their 2.5" + highline or the new TNT Customs fender should clear 37's.

TNT is advertising 35's with no lift, so i would think 37's would fit with 2.5"

just make sure to set bump stops accordingly, upgrade axles, and brakes as well.
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyJEEP View Post
OME as in Old Man Emu? if so their 2.5" + highline or the new TNT Customs fender should clear 37's.

TNT is advertising 35's with no lift, so i would think 37's would fit with 2.5"

just make sure to set bump stops accordingly, upgrade axles, and brakes as well.
i think he meant OEM as in Original Equipment Manufacture

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
i think he meant OEM as in Original Equipment Manufacture
yes i did. fixed that in the first post.
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you're into mud bogging, staying as lcg as possible is almost always a good idea. Highhoods and cut rears are great and will allow factory axles the up travel you'll still need with bigger tires. The thing to keep in mind is what axles will run with 37's? Putting bigger axles in changes things a little. Say you high hood and switch to d60s, your tires may have plenty of clearance and uptravel but the pumpkin may hit too soon during stuff since it's bigger than the stock front you had.
98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah. axles is something i'm still looking into as well.. any suggestions as to what would be a feasible axle swap for this kinda set up? i'd kinda like to keep close to the same width as stock.
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I should add the a bigger rear axle can have similar issues with clearance vs the tub/tank/crossmember.
98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack- View Post
yeah. axles is something i'm still looking into as well.. any suggestions as to what would be a feasible axle swap for this kinda set up? i'd kinda like to keep close to the same width as stock.
Axles are hot debate and it will depend on what you wheel and what you want to spend. Width is a bigger issue up front than in the rear usually. As your tires get taller you need to move them outward to keep your steering from hitting.
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack- View Post
so. i'm kinda planning where i wan't to go with my jeep, so i don't end up spending more money replacing the same parts more than once.

i've always liked the look of LCG rigs with big tires. and now my province is talking about making it illegal to run any type of lift or lowering kit. so its might not be too easy to get away with 4 of 5 inches of lift.

just looking for some info from people who have a bit of experience with these type of builds

are there any serious draw back's to a LCG build that i should be aware of?

ideally i'd like to run 37's with tube fenders and a highline kit, with a belly up and possibly a fuel cell

nothing is set in stone and it's going to be something that would take place over the next year or so. i'm a poor student so nothing about this will come quickly. but i'm just looking to gain some general knowledge on the subject

the disadvantages are belly clearance and suspension uptravel... suspension uptravel is only a disadvantage depending on how you go abut your shock mounts... leaving them stock and going with long travel shocks is the disadvantage.

check the diy hiline in my sig. theres also a link to another lcg build another member did in there somewhere...

highlines and simple mods will run 35's on stock suspension and 37" with as little as 2.5" of lift provided you have the axles and brakes to handle them.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
stjjames
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This can be done on stock suspension.

Granted I have saggy well worn 2" OME & a 1"BL in this pic.
With a set of Hydro bumps & properly located shocks - I could lose 3".
With more cutting & some ingenuity it can be done

This rig in fact runs the same springs in the rear . . . I will have my coilovers poking through the hood like him soon enough.

Unread 05-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjjames View Post
This can be done on stock suspension.

This rig in fact runs the same springs in the rear . . . I will have my coilovers poking through the hood like him soon enough.

That's dirty pool showing John's rig. It's anything but a stock suspension on SublymeJ.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.