Proportioning valve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Proportioning valve?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Glass

Proportioning valve?

After doing the tera rear disk conversion, is it a good idea to get a proportioning valve for either the unlimited or the Rocky mountain edition TJ? In other words a Jeep that has the 44 in the rear (with disks) and the 30 in front. Thanks!

Unread 09-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass
After doing the tera rear disk conversion, is it a good idea to get a proportioning valve for either the unlimited or the Rocky mountain edition TJ? In other words a Jeep that has the 44 in the rear (with disks) and the 30 in front. Thanks!
Did you mean 'from'? If so my Rocky Mountain Ed. doesn't have rear disc on the Dana 44.
Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #6
Saltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Based on Part number information, the prop valve number was the same for many years up through 2002. It changed in 2003 and newer, when the rear disc option came on the scene.So I'm assuming this is not a coincidence. There are two different valves w/ABS and without.
I am in the process of gathering parts to put discs on my 2002. Jeepsareus had a relatively good price on a prop valve "for rear discs" on eBay. You need to tell them w or w/o ABS, since the first I got had the w/ABS part number on the sealed Mopar box.
The number for w/o ABS 2003 and newer is 5083808AA. I am using my Jeep Credit card points to get Dealer Dollars for some parts.
Do a search and you will get a wealth of info. Look at longer wheel studs, new rear seals, new bearing retainer (the one inside the bearing), probably new bearings, and I would suggest brake lines with rubber sections to the calipers. I bought the Jeep ones (they are amzingly complete - Banjo bolts, copper gaskets, brackets for mounting to lower spring cups, rubber softener for under the retaining plate on rught side of axle) and not too bad a price (list is $28 and $32) connsidering they are pre-bent and fit in just right. 52128430AC (r) and 52128431AC (l)
More than you asked, but ... HTH
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Glass

I got the whole Dana 44 setup with shafts and disk brakes installed. All I needed to get were new hard brake lines. I tried to use the brake lines off the 35 but my double flairing skills leave something to be desired. How much was the valve? Does it give the rear disks more or less pressure than the drum brakes? Thanks!
Unread 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1
Based on Part number information, the prop valve number was the same for many years up through 2002. It changed in 2003 and newer, when the rear disc option came on the scene.So I'm assuming this is not a coincidence. There are two different valves w/ABS and without.
I am in the process of gathering parts to put discs on my 2002. Jeepsareus had a relatively good price on a prop valve "for rear discs" on eBay. You need to tell them w or w/o ABS, since the first I got had the w/ABS part number on the sealed Mopar box.
The number for w/o ABS 2003 and newer is 5083808AA. I am using my Jeep Credit card points to get Dealer Dollars for some parts.
Do a search and you will get a wealth of info. Look at longer wheel studs, new rear seals, new bearing retainer (the one inside the bearing), probably new bearings, and I would suggest brake lines with rubber sections to the calipers. I bought the Jeep ones (they are amzingly complete - Banjo bolts, copper gaskets, brackets for mounting to lower spring cups, rubber softener for under the retaining plate on rught side of axle) and not too bad a price (list is $28 and $32) connsidering they are pre-bent and fit in just right. 52128430AC (r) and 52128431AC (l)
More than you asked, but ... HTH
Interesting part number...
I bought the valve from Jeepsareus on eBay, and the number they sent me was 05083807AA.
They claimed it was for all TJs w/disc brakes.
Unread 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass
When I had a D44 & put in Terra rear discs I never needed a porportioning valve.Why not try it before you buy the valve??
Unread 09-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Interesting part number...
I bought the valve from Jeepsareus on eBay, and the number they sent me was 05083807AA.
They claimed it was for all TJs w/disc brakes.
Jeepareus has some great stuff at a great prices, but the guy that runs it is shakey. I bought a Dana 44 with open differential rear axle. They sent me a Dana 44 with trac-lok which was a $200 option. I called the guy, he said I was crazy so I ask him to open one and call me back. After two days he didn't call back so I called him and all his Dana 44 had trac-lok. He had been selling them as open differential for a while. I'd say be careful on parts you buy from them. If you know the exact part number make sure you get what you ordered,

Good Luck

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys
http://jeep-willys.com/
jrtdogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtdogbone
Jeepareus has some great stuff at a great prices, but the guy that runs it is shakey. I bought a Dana 44 with open differential rear axle. They sent me a Dana 44 with trac-lok which was a $200 option. I called the guy, he said I was crazy so I ask him to open one and call me back. After two days he didn't call back so I called him and all his Dana 44 had trac-lok. He had been selling them as open differential for a while. I'd say be careful on parts you buy from them. If you know the exact part number make sure you get what you ordered,

Good Luck

The Dog

You hit it!
I got a valve for an '04-'05 WITH ABS! I even emailed him during the "auction" and asked if this was the correct valve for my application.
Return time!
Unread 09-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
Glass

Sorry for the confusion, but what is the correct part number, and can't you get it from a Jeep dealer? What is the cost? Thanks!
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I bought one for a ZJ (4-wheel disc) for $25...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-6.htm

had it for almost a year now, and have never installed it...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Per the 2003 thru 2005 TJ parts list, 5083808AA is for NON-ABS TJs, the 5083807AA is for ABS TJs, with or without discs. I have no clue as to the internal differences, nor the output differences. 5083808AA has a list price of $98.60/5083807AA has a list price of $55.00. Goto Tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com and get into part number search catalog. 807 clearly shows with ABS. 808 shows w/o ABS. 808 also shows as applicable to XJ, does not mention TJ.
I must assume there is a difference, because any manufacturer i've run across does not generally have two different numbers for the same part, and two different prices.
I paid 49.99 plus freight, from JAU. I now know why JAU sells the "one"prop valve for $50.00.
For reference, the 2002 parts list shows 52009115 NON-ABS, and 52008549 with ABS. 52009115 shows superceded to 5083808AA, 52008549 supercedes to 5083807AA.
I also got the 807 part from JAU and had to return it. Based on BIllR's experience, and the fact that the replacement did not come in a box,I may have gotten the same ABS part back. Not installed yet.
The 0 in front of 5083807AA in BillR's post is irrelevant.
I have to ageree with dirtgrip, try it first, carefully.

Last edited by jeffjeep1; 09-20-2005 at 09:53 PM..
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This site is interesting..here It basicaly says that the difference is in the plugged 5th port, at least in the ZJ valve.
I wonder if the internals ARE the same.
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any DC Engineers hanging here? I too wonder about these differences sometimes.
I did not check the "engineering" number on the first prop valve I got from JAU. I cannot compare the "replacement" to the first. This will be my 2nd and last time for JAU. Unfortunately, I do not have parts lists for other than TJs, and the trademotion lists do not have part numbers unless you put one in. Only thing I can compare is pricing and descriptions.
I can't get the 52009061 number to come up as a Jeep part, but can as a Chrysler part, all it says is combination valve, no application, but pricing differs from TJ prop valves. $102.00 list.

I'm still learning about DC/J parts!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.