Proper four wheel drive engage/disengagment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Proper four wheel drive engage/disengagment

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
DEEPsneaky

Proper four wheel drive engage/disengagment

I have owned several cj's in the past. This is my first TJ. It is a 2002 sahara with 4.0 and automatic trans . My concern is, when I engage and disengage the jeep from 2H to 4H and vice versa every thing is fine. I can shift on the fly no problems. THe problem comes when I stop to put it into 4L . I stop and put it in N then shift to 4L with no probs but If I am stationary and try to shift out of 4L to N or 4H it grinds like crazy. I have to shut the jeep off then shift to the desired range then start back up. I am trying to sell the jeep and have been telling people about the problem and I think they are scared to buy because of it. I think I may be doing something wrong however because It snowed last night and I drove it around a bit. I shifted to 4L drove around a while then while still moving around 5mph shifted down to 4H and then to 2H with no problems. This tells me I must be doing something incorrectly. Please tell me I'm a moron and there is nothing wrong with my shifter or transfer case. Thanks!

DEEPsneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

from what ive always known/done is that you arent supposed to switch in and out of 4lo while moving

2001 TJ - |Goodyear|Rokmen|Zone|Nemesis|MetalCloak|RockHard|IPF|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The manual states you should be moving 2-3 MPH when shifting in and out of 4L. That being said, I don't move at all when I shifting in and out of 4L, and have no grinding.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
2004Unlimited
2000 TJ Wrangler 

In my past four wheel drive experiances, I put the jeep in neutral let it coast to a complete stop, then rapidly through it from 4L into 2H or 4H whichever one you desire. I do not try and "ease" it into gear in past 80's chevy trucks I drove they use to grind like crazy too so I just learned to rapidly "through" it into whatever range I want it and therefore I have no grinding issues with my jeep. Hope this helps
2004Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I do it while stopped and in neutral and sometimes it grinds sometimes it doesn't, haha. Technically you are supposed to be moving between 2-3 mph coasting in nuetral and you have to do it in one swift motion, the second you try to baby it, it will start to grind or get hung up.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It depends. Mine shifts better when put in at 2-3mph like stated above, but in my dad's LJ is sounds like Armageddon is happening when put in at that speed.

Mine grinds a lot if i put in in 4lo while stopped, but his slips in perfectly then.

I think every Tcase is worn differently, shifter adjusted differently etc so that you should try several ways from rolling at 5mph to stopped and see what is the smoothest in your case.

The Tcase and shifting method in a TJ is somewhat Archaic compared to everyones push button ones of today. It is significantly beefier than most newer ones as well. People arent used to hearing those sounds associated to a vehicle anymore. I doubt that a little grinding going into 4lo while stopped will damage the 231...
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
It depends. Mine shifts better when put in at 2-3mph like stated above, but in my dad's LJ is sounds like Armageddon is happening when put in at that speed.

Mine grinds a lot if i put in in 4lo while stopped, but his slips in perfectly then.

I think every Tcase is worn differently, shifter adjusted differently etc so that you should try several ways from rolling at 5mph to stopped and see what is the smoothest in your case.

The Tcase and shifting method in a TJ is somewhat Archaic compared to everyones push button ones of today. It is significantly beefier than most newer ones as well. People arent used to hearing those sounds associated to a vehicle anymore. I doubt that a little grinding going into 4lo while stopped will damage the 231...
^best response.

The owners manuals says to be moving. Mine worked fine when stopped, others not so much.
If you are totally stopped while shifting out of 4Lo, it actually 'could' cause damage. Personally I think it's not really likely to. The trick is to ease on the gas and see if it engaged. If not, try again.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the manuel does say shift from 2 mph to 3 mph, i just do it when stationary. I ran into a ditch one time while trespassing (unintentionally), crawled out of it and had to run from the owner, shifted back into 2HI when i got back on pavement and heard a loud clanking noise come from the transfer case so i would suggest not shifting back into 2HI over 5 mph.
Unread 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty98TJ View Post
..so i would suggest not shifting back into 2HI over 5 mph.
There is not a problem (normally) shifting from 2hi to 4hi and back to 2hi at any reasonble speed. 55mph is just fine.

The noises were probably because it didn't fully engage. i.e. technique
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
There is not a problem (normally) shifting from 2hi to 4hi and back to 2hi at any reasonble speed. 55mph is just fine.

The noises were probably because it didn't fully engage. i.e. technique
I think he meant he shifted from 4Lo to 2HI at a speed over 5mph which is definitely NOT advisable.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0blcktj6 View Post
I think he meant he shifted from 4Lo to 2HI at a speed over 5mph which is definitely NOT advisable.
Yes i did mean 4Lo, sorry about that

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.