Proper Coolant for 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you just need to "get by" until you do a flush and change by topping off, the safest things for you to do right now is just to add some Distilled water. Its not going to dilute the coolant by enough to change the efficiency of it and will buy you a little time to do it right. I would change to G05. Its retro compatible and represents the newest technology and advancements. Most manufacturers are going to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
pcwolf
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Zerex G-05 HOAT out of an abundance of caution, 2006 TJ Rubicon with 40,000 miles just because it was seven years old and never changed. Available here in Virginia at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, $18 @ gallon (of course, you need 1.3 gallons!) Drained system, filled with distilled water, drove to operating temps with heater box on high in the July heat, drained system, filled with distilled water, drove to operating temps with heater box on high in the July heat, drained system, refilled with 50% HOAT and 50% distilled water.

Extended highway driving, city traffic, eight miles of 4-LO offroad rocks, a thousand miles later doesn't matter Coolant Temp Gauge locked onto 210 degrees. Peace of mind: priceless
post #18 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
If NAPA doesn't have it on hand, check if Grainger has it.. I get my Zerex there and it's a few bucks cheaper
Amazon.com will ship you a gallon of G05 for $20.19 straight or $18.57 for 50/50. That may or may not be a couple of bucks more than NAPA or whatever, but it's pretty convenient for the brown truck to bring it to your door. Spend a few more bucks at Amazon to bring the total order to $25 and get free shipping.

'03 red Rubi
post #19 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwolf View Post
drove to operating temps with heater box on high in the July heat
Why?...
post #20 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 PM
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

He wanted to make sure the clear water got into his Heater core so it would flush out the old coolant and replace it with new... so he ran his heater to make sure it circulated through there.
post #21 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 PM
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have green stuff in my 03, been in there for a year now with no issues.

95 xj bone stock for now
post #22 of 73 Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
He wanted to make sure the clear water got into his Heater core so it would flush out the old coolant and replace it with new... so he ran his heater to make sure it circulated through there.
All TJ heater cores are full flow no matter where the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) controls are set...
post #23 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a follow up, I drained my radiator and filled it up with 50/50 Mopar coolant.
Works like a charm!
Had to cycle the engine on and off to get all the coolant in there, but it's all good now!
post #24 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
All TJ heater cores are full flow no matter where the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) controls are set...
You are correct and this is true for many, if not all, of today's vehicles.

But no harm, no foul if someone does it and it makes them fell better.

Many like myself are "old school" and just do it out of habit.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #25 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post

Many like myself are "old school" and just do it out of habit.
Where do you store your battery if you have to take it out for a bit while you're swapping in a new one or working on something that it's in the way of?

Just how old school are you?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #26 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Where do you store your battery if you have to take it out for a bit while you're swapping in a new one or working on something that it's in the way of?

Just how old school are you?
On a wooden shelf. Absolutely not on cement floor!! That will suck the life right out of it.

Do I pass the old school test?

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #27 of 73 Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
On a wooden shelf. Absolutely not on cement floor!! That will suck the life right out of it. Do I pass the old school test?
I think you passed.
post #28 of 73 Old 12-29-2015, 04:27 PM
KIZMET3

Engine coolant for 2003 jeep (wrangler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishbot View Post
My trusted friends, I have been scouring the internet and this forum, thread after thread, and I can't seem to get a solid final answer.

I own a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto.
It has 80,000 miles on it.

The coolant inside is at the 'fill' line, even when the engine temp is hot, so I know it needs to be topped off.

The color of the coolant is an orange/rust color.

What is the correct coolant to top my cooling system off? What would the exact brand name be?

Note: I have no plans or intentions to do a coolant flush, mainly because I travel too much and don't have the time to actually do so. I'm simply looking to just top my coolant off and keep on truckin'.

Second Note: Everything is stock, nothing has been replaced.
I Know this post is kinda old but I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, not the Sahara, however my coolant level is at full but I am thinking its running hot due to a smell I am getting inside while driving. None of the gauges or showing any issues. So I wanted to ask the original poster how did you know that it was actually the radiator running hot? did you get a smell as well? so when you say top-off do you mean the actual radiator or the fluid tank?
sorry I know I must sound ignorant... sorry everyone, I am a new Jeeper...and only have had my Jeep for a couple months now. I am a lady and know nothing about car mechanics.
I am just trying to determine what the smell I am smelling is...it smells like a radiator smell, and it doesnt start smelling until I have been driving for about 40 minutes or so.
If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it so very much.
Peace & kindness!
post #29 of 73 Old 12-29-2015, 04:42 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZMET3 View Post

I Know this post is kinda old but I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, not the Sahara, however my coolant level is at full but I am thinking its running hot due to a smell I am getting inside while driving. None of the gauges or showing any issues. So I wanted to ask the original poster how did you know that it was actually the radiator running hot? did you get a smell as well? so when you say top-off do you mean the actual radiator or the fluid tank?
sorry I know I must sound ignorant... sorry everyone, I am a new Jeeper...and only have had my Jeep for a couple months now. I am a lady and know nothing about car mechanics.
I am just trying to determine what the smell I am smelling is...it smells like a radiator smell, and it doesnt start smelling until I have been driving for about 40 minutes or so.
If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it so very much.
Peace & kindness!
If you smell coolant, you likely have a heater core leak.

#feelthejohnson
post #30 of 73 Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 AM
1 Long CJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you're still in TX (where it's warm), maybe someone can rig up a heater core bypass for you.

Life is short. Play hard.

1979 CJ5, 1982 CJ8, 2004 WJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon

Tags
2003 , coolant , jeep , sahara , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.