Proper Coolant for 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Proper Coolant for 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Proper Coolant for 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto

My trusted friends, I have been scouring the internet and this forum, thread after thread, and I can't seem to get a solid final answer.

I own a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L Auto.
It has 80,000 miles on it.

The coolant inside is at the 'fill' line, even when the engine temp is hot, so I know it needs to be topped off.

The color of the coolant is an orange/rust color.

What is the correct coolant to top my cooling system off? What would the exact brand name be?

Note: I have no plans or intentions to do a coolant flush, mainly because I travel too much and don't have the time to actually do so. I'm simply looking to just top my coolant off and keep on truckin'.

Second Note: Everything is stock, nothing has been replaced.

Nishbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
vic_sinclair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You need HOAT coolant. Most people skip the dealership and just buy Zerex G-05 from an auto parts store, which is HOAT.
vic_sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Zerex GO5 is a good HOAT choice.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

^double ditto.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

dafuq is HOAT? Thanks in advance for learning me

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
dafuq is HOAT? Thanks in advance for learning me
Hybrid Organic Additive Technology...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77

Hybrid Organic Additive Technology...
You are too kind. I was going to make a snide remark about Google not working in Houston this morning, but figured I'd withhold.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

NAPA sells it, other parts store dont seem to carry it
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108
NAPA sells it, other parts store dont seem to carry it
Most can order it in.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 07-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If NAPA doesn't have it on hand, check if Grainger has it.. I get my Zerex there and it's a few bucks cheaper
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
You are too kind. I was going to make a snide remark about Google not working in Houston this morning, but figured I'd withhold.
Houston must have reached its bandwidth limits

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much guys!!!

Sorry to make this thread longer, but would you guys recommend a coolant flush? I'm thinking maybe I might do it.
80,000 miles on it, haven't changed the coolant ever.

Also, I was at Advanced Auto Parts, and they're carrying this Prestone 50/50 coolant that claims you can add to "ANY vehicle, ANY color coolant."
Have you guys heard of this coolant? Thoughts?
Nishbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishbot View Post
Also, I was at Advanced Auto Parts, and they're carrying this Prestone 50/50 coolant that claims you can add to "ANY vehicle, ANY color coolant."
Have you guys heard of this coolant? Thoughts?
Bad idea
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

This is for 98 model year.....

Honestly I have checked the FSM and in the fluid capacity and cooloing section all it says is 2.5 ltr,- 8.9 qts. no mention of type or color? I have always used the green color, never red. it is probably because of the year model I have. Plus I always change the coolant every two years, replace thermostat, cheap insurance................................
sp32-20120729-134526.jpg   sp32-20120729-134639.jpg  
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver97tj View Post
Hi all

This is for 98 model year.....

Honestly I have checked the FSM and in the fluid capacity and cooloing section all it says is 2.5 ltr,- 8.9 qts. no mention of type or color? I have always used the green color, never red. it is probably because of the year model I have. Plus I always change the coolant every two years, replace thermostat, cheap insurance................................
Green is fine for you. IIRC the switch to HOAT was 2001,

Tags
2003 , coolant , jeep , sahara , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.