proper bumpstopping question (hockey pucks) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > proper bumpstopping question (hockey pucks)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

proper bumpstopping question (hockey pucks)

I haven't had the time to take it wheelin' since the new lift & tires, well - the time has come and I am heading out in 2 weeks, but need to verify the bump stops on the front end so I don't shred my front tires or destroy my front fenders.

1st here's the pic of my 3" BB:

I have to pull it apart and put the smaller puck on top - it seems to be squashing more, and I think the 2" puck would absorb the initial tension of the spring better (just as an experiment to see for myself, thats how I did the rear - 2" on bottom with 1" on top and it's looks a lot better than the front after a month of driving on it).before I forget, do I leave the stock isolator where it sets, or does that go between the BB pucks and the coil?

MAIN SUBJECT:::::
How many hockey pucks would I need to add to the bottom plate in order to properly bump stop this set up? I laid 3 in there, thinking this - 3" lift would equal 3 (1") hockey pucks to make up the difference, but that just doesn't look right. Simply because, then I end up with just a small (2 inches or so) gap between the top hockey puck and the bottom of the OE bump stop (I will get a pic of the pucks laying in there when I get home from work). I don't see this letting my suspension squash enough ....let me know your thoughts.

skeebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
beryl

go flex it on something and test it out (carefully)...look and see how much is needed.
06x-6speed...hard/soft top, BPE's, 2" coils, 1" PA BL, 32 bfg mt's, 15x8 MT alloys, big daddy rocker guards, flowmaster, RE gen II discos, rear bumper and tire carrier, 10" MTX sub with 800watt kenwood amp, mossy oak mats, sony stereo
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good point, will do.

A guy I work with has his Miata out in the parking lot, let me go see
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just posted these in another thread. 3" suspension and 1" body lift. I have 2 hockey pucks in the front, and 1 in the back. The ones in the back are mounted with 2 ton epoxy.

Front clearance.

Rear tire clearance.
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1. Measure the distance between the bumpstop and the point where it contacts the axle.

2. Measure the amount of uptravel you have in your shocks before they bottom out.

3. Measure the distance between your tire and where it will contact the fender.

If #2 or #3 is less than than #1, you need to extend your bumpstops.

Take the smaller of measurement #2 or #3. This is a good starting point for how far your bumpstop should be from the point where it contacts the axle. Then subtract another 1/2" to allow for compression of the rubber bumpstop. I say good starting point because you'll have to do some fine tuning to account for turning and possible other areas where the tire may rub.

Maybe adding some hypothetical numbers to this would help clear it up.

#1 = 6"
#2 = 4"
#3 = 5"

In this scenario, you need to extend your bumpstop at least 2". Its currently allowing 6" of uptravel but your shocks only have 4".

Last edited by Wheelin98TJ; 01-15-2009 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Thanks NJHCx4xLIFE for pointing out the error!
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
mexican_hippie
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
1. Measure the distance between the bumpstop and the point where it contacts the axle.

2. Measure the amount of uptravel you have in your shocks before they bottom out.

3. Measure the distance between your tire and where it will contact the fender.

If #2 or #3 is less than #1, you need to extend your bumpstops.

Take the smaller of measurement #2 or #3. This is a good starting point for how far your bumpstop should be from the point where it contacts the axle. Then subtract another 1/2" to allow for compression of the rubber bumpstop. I say good starting point because you'll have to do some fine tuning to account for turning and possible other areas where the tire may rub.

Maybe adding some hypothetical numbers to this would help clear it up.

#1 = 6"
#2 = 4"
#3 = 5"

In this scenario, you need to extend your bumpstop at least 2". Its currently allowing 6" of uptravel but your shocks only have 4".
That's the best I've ever heard it explained. People also usually forget about measurement #2, only considering #1 and #3. Can this be added to the FAQ?
mexican_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
nolo263
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you put these hockey pucks in the bottom?? Does anyone have pics? I thought you had to extend the bumpstops from the top? thanks
nolo263 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_hippie
That's the best I've ever heard it explained. People also usually forget about measurement #2, only considering #1 and #3. Can this be added to the FAQ?
Sure, I'll add a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo263
Do you put these hockey pucks in the bottom?? Does anyone have pics? I thought you had to extend the bumpstops from the top? thanks
Yes, you put them on the bottom.

It doesn't matter if you add it to the top or bottom. It actually works quite nice adding it to the bottom. Once you add too much length to the top it starts to point away from the axle. Splitting the additional length between the top and bottom helps keep the bumpstomp more in line with where it hits the axle, or in this case, where the hockey puck would be.
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
nolo263
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I guess I will buy some hockey pucks and try it out..
nolo263 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't put enough bump stop in, you could overcompress your springs over time and then your jeep will sag.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
benny36
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not too hijack your thread or anything, but do you need to change your bumpstops with just a 2'' Budget Boost? I was going to order the Rubicon Express one in a couple of weeks and wasnt sure.
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chris_
Thanks for the pics! Nice TJ by the way, like the front bumper - looks like a good whitetail tosser.

Wheelin98TJ
Great explanation
THANKS!

nolo263
I will post some pics this weekend for you to see.
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think this question should be way simpler than people are making it. Anyone with 33x12.50's on a 15x8 and no body lift? How much bumpstop do you run? Or just add whatever BL amount to the bumpstop height. All assuming tires are clearing.

I'm going to guess you need about 2" of bumpstop.

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcssurf
I think this question should be way simpler than people are making it. Anyone with 33x12.50's on a 15x8 and no body lift? How much bumpstop do you run?...
You would have to find someone with the same exact lift height, same length shocks, same height tire, and same backspacing on the wheels.

Then hope that they have their bumpstops set correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcssurf
...Or just add whatever BL amount to the bumpstop height. All assuming tires are clearing...

You do NOT add the body lift height to your extended bumpstop length.
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #15
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny36
Not too hijack your thread or anything, but do you need to change your bumpstops with just a 2'' Budget Boost? I was going to order the Rubicon Express one in a couple of weeks and wasnt sure.
I would assume yes, but I am not sure. I think the 33's would rub the fenders at flex if I didn't......But let's see what other BB guys with 33's have done

anyone know about this (does it even matter?) - do I leave the stock isolator where it sets, or does that go between the BB pucks and the coil?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.