PROLOCK ignition kill...how do I remove it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > PROLOCK ignition kill...how do I remove it?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
TealJ87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

PROLOCK ignition kill...how do I remove it?

Alright, after weeks of pulling my hair out about why my Jeep won't start , not to mention the couple hundred I spent on replacing starters, sensors, and such, I am 99% sure that I have found my problem: a PROLOCK ignition interrupt/kill security key thingy. I never knew what this thing was, until this morning. The Jeep had difficulty starting again, no clicking sounds, but power sent to everything else. I literally could not get it to start. So, I haxored it and used a screwdriver to send power directly to the starter and, low and behold, it cranked and fired up. I let it run for about 15 minutes, then shut it off. I decided to take the PROLOCK key out and put it in my pocket to throw away later. When I tried to start it back up, though, nothing happened. Three key turns later, still nothing. "Okay, this is weird...the engine was plenty warm and should have started right up. Maybe this key thing is important." I firmly plugged the PROLOCK key back into its receptacle, and turned the key...the Jeep instantly roared to life. I unplugged it = no crank, no start. Plugged it back in = instantly starts up. Just to make absolutely sure, I tried this unplug and plug back in procedure and it performed exactly the same as before.

SO, how do I get this thing out? I did some quick research this morning and it looks like PROLOCK went out of business about the same time that my TJ was manufactured (it's a '97). I'm guessing this system was dealer installed and I should probably take my Jeep to my local dealer to have it uninstalled. But, before I pay through the nose to have them remove a few wires, I wanted to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue.

By the way, thank you to all those who responded to my previous posts. Your advice helped me to better understand the whole system and how to narrow down the actual problem.

TealJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
CalaskanTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the prolock thing a little electical micro chip looking thing that has a red light blink when removed? I have one on my jeep and am having prolems getting it started as well. maybe that thingy is the culprit!
1997 TJ. 4.0, 5spd. 4" Lift, 33" MTR's, D30 front with ARB, rear 8.8 with ARB, 4.10 gears, KC Slimlites, Superwinch EPi9.0s, Hi-lift Jack. Trail Gear front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier, rock sliders and steering skid.

UTAH JEEPCREW #20
CalaskanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
TealJ87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My PROLOCK key doesn't have a blinking red light (but it does have a tiny flashlight ). It also says PROLOCK on the plastic.

What kind of starting issues are you having? Specifically, when you turn the key to start, does anything happen? Any sounds, or is the Jeep just silent? My fuel pump turns on, but I get no clicking from even the starter. All lights and aux stuff still work.
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
CalaskanTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the link to the post I have with my problem
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jeep-not-starting-600364/

I just went out and looked, the system I have is Stargard. After doing some research all that it does is cuts power to the starter when it is removed.
1997 TJ. 4.0, 5spd. 4" Lift, 33" MTR's, D30 front with ARB, rear 8.8 with ARB, 4.10 gears, KC Slimlites, Superwinch EPi9.0s, Hi-lift Jack. Trail Gear front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier, rock sliders and steering skid.

UTAH JEEPCREW #20
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
TealJ87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...weird how your exterior lights and radio won't work. I don't know if there is a difference in what each system disables when unplugged. All I know is that I want it out! I read something about removing the starter kill relay inline, but have no clue how to correctly do that. Any ideas?
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
CalaskanTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I could see a wiring diagram for that system it would probably be easy, but without it I have no clue.
I think the problem with my jeep is something in the main PDC our the computer. I think I am going to have to bring it in somewhere to get it checked out!

UTAH JEEPCREW #20
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
TealJ87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck! I can't find anything either, so I guess I'm going to the dealership.
Unread 08-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
onlyn8v

Those systems are very uncomplicated. Having a stater kill is like giving a road map to a thief. They will have usually a power, a ground, and 2 wires going to the starter 1 for key side and 1 for motor side. They can get as easy and simple as all wired at steering column or as complicated as a wire run all the way to the starter. (Not very common) All you do to remove it is connect the starter wires back together.
1998 VW Jetta TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 4 SALE!!
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

check this out....

http://www.aboutsecurityconcepts.com...lts.asp?Cat=70
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
BVaquero01

how to remove PROLOCK

look under the drive wheel . follow the wire that you conect the prolock key onto.... Ok you found it. There are three wires coming out of this box.
1.- small one is for the ground, is connected to the chasis or metal of the car.remove it might be sreeew on.
2. the other two are bridged to the starter, cut them close to the prolock box and conect them together. That is all there is to it.
Simple,, other wise go to a mechanic where thay will have to charge you for the tow and remove the prolock.around $270.00

Remove the atachemnts to the prolock, and sell it on e-bay or something.

good luck!!!
BVaquero01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
StevieGirl

Hello, I may be years after this original post, but my 1994 Chevy S10 was having the same issues! After hundreds of dollars later with new batteries [3], clutch switches [2], ignition relays, starters [3!], alternators, other type relays, wiring chased down....have I forgotten anything? I discovered the hidden safety device to protect the vehicle, PROLOCK was the issue! UGH! I liked it and used it to protect the truck from thieves, but never thought THAT would be the issue! But even when it was back in its place, the 3-45 key turns [yes, I began to count how many times it took before turn over --- that was after 3 towing bills, when I was in the dark!] before starting fire was enough to wear me out of patience! Then it totally died! more UGH! I have put a temp wire in the yellow and red to complete the circuit.

But my question...since they are out of business, is there any other devices that will afford this simple sort of anti-theft protection. I know they could trace wires etc. but most thieves don't have time to diagnose the issue of no start, nor can they jump start the straight shift with the "kill off", nor are they smart! Any safe ideas? other than put in an obvious toggle switch they could find and drive off? ~ Stevie
StevieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.