Project Pony Power--5.0 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Pony Power--5.0 Swap

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Project Pony Power--5.0 Swap

I finally bit the bullet. Just picked up a 5.0 to put in the jeep. I still have to pile up some other parts while I give this engine a good look over, but it won't be long until the pictures are flowing.
A special thanks to 472cid and sourskittle. These guys know the answers and I probably wouldn't even be starting this build had it not been for the info on 5.0 engine swap pictures thread.
Anyway, here's the first part of the puzzle, 98 mercury mountaineer 5.0!

mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh ya! I love these threads as I plan to do one someday! Subcribed.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We got the engine torn down yesterday and took it to the machine shop to get everything cleaned up and checked out. Didn't look like much wear once we got into it but I figured I would go ahead and make it a fresh 5.0 now instead of later!

I wish I had of taken a pic of the oilpan. There wasn't hardly any sludge in it and this engine had 120,000+ miles on it....kinda unbelievable.

Last edited by mschviuz; 03-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Unread 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's the way to do it.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The guy at the shop took measurements of the cylinders and said they looked good and probably wouldn't need a bore so fingers crossed. I did tell him to go ahead and do a valve job.
I was debating over putting a different cam etc in this motor but the more I think about it, I think I'm going to leave it stock.....what do you think? Cam would equal valve springs, lifters, etc....more $$$$$
Once I get it back I'm going to "purty" it up with some paint. My buddy helping me says paint the block black and the more I think about it the more I like that idea, especially with the aluminum brackets on the front of the motor and intake against the black.
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is by far the biggest project I have taken on and I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. Having a friend who built race engines for years makes me feel better and this is more of a learning experience for me. He is good about explaining the ins and outs to me while we work, which I know slows everything down but who cares. I'm eating this stuff up! Yesterday was almost information overload. I don't think I could ever pick all of his knowledge up but I'm doing my best I told him he should be doing this stuff for a living, but he retired from the hotrod business years ago. I couldn't let his knowledge go to waste.....I hope he joins up here and does some posting.....
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
subzer008
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Thinking about this as well. Would be in the same boat as you with it being the biggest project. Interested to see how it works out for ya. V8 power!
subzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
JTruel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If its already apart, change the cam and valve springs. The stock ones stink. It's a roller lifter motor, so no need to break in the cam or replace the lifters. Go with something mild and dual patterned like the COMP 266HR or the XE264HR. They are a cheap upgrade and should work well with stock components.
Unread 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruel View Post
If its already apart, change the cam and valve springs. The stock ones stink. It's a roller lifter motor, so no need to break in the cam or replace the lifters. Go with something mild and dual patterned like the COMP 266HR or the XE264HR. They are a cheap upgrade and should work well with stock components.
After doing a bit more research on the cam that came in this motor I think I am going to keep it. This cam, coming out of a mountaineer, is made to produce torque low...exactly what I am looking for. The headers that were on that motor looked like someone took a big pair of vicegrips and pinched the crap out of them, very restrictive looking. I will probably get quite a few more ponies just by ditching them

Here is one link I found regarding the cam that I have
97 Ford Explorer 5.0 Engine Performance - Ford & Mustang Forums at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the fmpp e303 is what i ran and is much as can go with stock springs, good luck with this. I will be watching to see how it goes.
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 472cid View Post
the fmpp e303 is what i ran and is much as can go with stock springs, good luck with this. I will be watching to see how it goes.
Thanks...hopefully for the most part it will go smoothly! I got some cleaner for the aluminum parts today that a buddy of mine recommended. While I'm waiting for my engine to get back from the machine shop I'm going to see what I can do to clean up the brackets and intake!

Last edited by mschviuz; 03-04-2010 at 06:37 AM..
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Goose346
2010 JK Wrangler 

What transmission do you plan on using?
Goose346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose346 View Post
What transmission do you plan on using?
I using my ax15 and 231tc. After I get this project done I do plan to beef up the rear end. I haven't decided whether to super 35 the rear or put a 8.8 in it. Around here we don't have a lot of rocky terrain and I don't "mudbog" I used to years ago with 4 wheelers but dang it takes forever to clean up! Mostly what I use my jeep for is mild offroading...ie getting around hunting camp.

My tranny is getting a rebuild during this whole process as well. I will be getting a rebuild kit for it soon mainly because the syncros are worn. No other problems with it that I know of at this point.
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
JTruel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Having driven a few 5.0 mustangs and a couple 5.0 mountaineers, I can tell you the mountaineers run out of steam at about 3700 rpm. Changing to a decent header may help that some, and its a Jeep so you may not care, but I would change valve springs at a minimum..cheap insurance.
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

subscribed, i had a 5.0 before and i loved it, i can only imagine the power in a jeep!! get stage 8 bolts for the headers though, i had an exhaust leak like crazy because i couldnt get the headders tight enough once the motor was in the truck.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.