Project Collect and Assemble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Collect and Assemble

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Project Collect and Assemble

I don't have the equipment, nor the skills to put up a true build thread, so I'm plugging away with what I have - for posterity's sake. Besides, this will help me remember where I started, and help keep me focused on where I want to go.

Since the LJs came out, I wanted one but wasn't willing to drop the coin to get one, plus I still had a very capable and very fun to drive CJ-7. Last May I bought a 2006 LJ Rubicon, shortly after realizing that my CJ-7 didn't really have the room for 2 kids in the back and still have room for camping gear, or a picnic cooler...or whatever.

I found a great deal on this Jeep, so I nabbed it

Last edited by h1driver; 09-30-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Photobucket Sucks-
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
2004sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep !! half doors !!

any pics of the rear bumper?
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good lookin rig! What are the plans? Title would assume you're collecting parts for it. What are they?
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the kind words - took me a little reading to figure out how to post pics within the text, then I had to setup a photobucket acct so sorry for the delay. That said:

She only had 49.5k, and was for the most part unmolested. I quickly found a hardtop for a steal...$800, and it came with a little bonus in the form of an un-used Safari top and additional windshield channel.

After moving her across the country, from NC to CA, I went ahead and put new boot leather on her. I wanted something that would last and handle on the streets, yet do well on some light trails, so I went with Toyo Open Country AT IIs. I wanted them just a little bigger than the stockers, so I went with 265s...

All was good until I tried to hang the spare, and realized that the increase in size (however slight) caused the tire to contact the monstrous rear 'bumper' and not go on. It was time for a swingout...I know that there are cheap go-arounds in the form of risers and such, but I had a new bumper on the list already, so I may as well bite the bullet... Below are pics of the heap before, and the beautiful piece that I bought from Forum Member BESRK.

Before:

After (Along with my Jeepin buddy):

Well - apparently I'm not smart enough to get the pics to show...any tips would be appreciated-

edit: I'm still not smart enough, but somebody got me straightened out. Thanks BeachinXJ

Last edited by h1driver; 09-30-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Photobucket Sucks-
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try this

(img)URL(/img) Use brackets. Not parenthesis.
That's a crazy bumper...
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Plans are to lift her, put 35s on her, get her ready for some more difficult trails.

I originally wanted to go with a LA setup, but with the huge undercarriage footprint of a LA setup, coupled with the already crappy breakover angle of an LJ I decided to explore the SA world more in depth.

So, after tons of reading, considering options, re-thinking, re-considering, and talking to bunches of folks alot smarter than I am... I've settled on the lift that I want to go with.

I'm gonna go with a hybrid SA setup: Metal Cloak SA with Duroflex joints on both ends, coupled with a RockKrawler SA 4-Link rear uppers. Not sure whose springs I want to go with. Either Currie progressives, or Metal Cloak "Dual Rates" will more than likely find their way in...frankly I'm leaning toward the Metal Cloaks as they seem to have more downward travel.

I have a UCF Ultra High Clearance Transfer Case Skid, UCF Lo-Pro Trans Mount, Savvy 1.25" BL, and 1" JKS MML coming in the mail - The biggest / quickest improvement that I can make in clearance is to lose the stock shovel...

There are obviously alot of other things going into the ASSEMBLY, not build, but who wants to be bored by reading about that stuff...
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Try this

(img)URL(/img) Use brackets. Not parenthesis.
That's a crazy bumper...
Yeah...was pretty crazy - welded on to the crossmember too. Took a bit of time to get her cut off and get cleaned up and ready to go.

Tried to edit the post, with the operators for the pics...only got little blue question marks when it reloaded. Thoughts?
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You did it with brackets and not parenthesis? Make sure you copied the image URL from photobucket.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yep - tried with brackets...

Again,
Test:
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm I don't know what to tell you then. Sorry.
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
Plans are to lift her, put 35s on her, get her ready for some more difficult trails.

I originally wanted to go with a LA setup, but with the huge undercarriage footprint of a LA setup, coupled with the already crappy breakover angle of an LJ I decided to explore the SA world more in depth.

So, after tons of reading, considering options, re-thinking, re-considering, and talking to bunches of folks alot smarter than I am... I've settled on the lift that I want to go with.

I'm gonna go with a hybrid SA setup: Metal Cloak SA with Duroflex joints on both ends, coupled with a RockKrawler SA 4-Link rear uppers. Not sure whose springs I want to go with. Either Currie progressives, or Metal Cloak "Dual Rates" will more than likely find their way in...frankly I'm leaning toward the Metal Cloaks as they seem to have more downward travel.

I have a UCF Ultra High Clearance Transfer Case Skid, UCF Lo-Pro Trans Mount, Savvy 1.25" BL, and 1" JKS MML coming in the mail - The biggest / quickest improvement that I can make in clearance is to lose the stock shovel...

There are obviously alot of other things going into the ASSEMBLY, not build, but who wants to be bored by reading about that stuff...
Sounds like a really good plan! I'm ordering my Metalcloak dual rate springs for my TJ today. Hope we both get the results we're looking for.

Now get to work!
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice looking rig. For your TT, consider going with a novak cable shifter also.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see a picture of your jeep with no top and the half doors w/o uppers, if/when you get around to it.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I guess that things start happening pretty fast when you have a little time, and not so fast when you're crunched for time...

Got home from running a couple of errands and Brown Santa had been to my house.

Maybe a little staging before the pic...

Got My 1.25" BL from Savvy

My JKS 1" MML

And my DC-2s from Quadratec

Turned right around, and took the rims to the tire shop to mount my 35" KM2s as a step in prep for the lift and such...

Last edited by h1driver; 09-30-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Photobucket Sucks-
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
Very nice looking rig. For your TT, consider going with a novak cable shifter also.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see a picture of your jeep with no top and the half doors w/o uppers, if/when you get around to it.
I'll pull the top off as soon as the weather gets a bit better, and I'll hang a few pics. Frankly though, 40* on the way to work in the morning is a bit $hitty.

Otherwise, what's the benefit of the Novak?? I've heard that before, I just don't know anything about them.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So last night, I got this in... Bought it off of the recovery equipment section in the Jeep Parts part of the forum. Man, gotta love it. It does have a couple of small burs, but I have sandpaper up to 5000 grit, plus a bunch of rouge and a polishing wheel...

What a savings...$130 Warn hawse fairlead for $15 and 20-30 minutes of work

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble

Last edited by h1driver; 09-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Photobucket Sucks-

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.