Problems with lift install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with lift install

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
No Fear Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Problems with lift install

In April I bought a 4" lift from Rough Country. I'd waited 3 years to get a lift. Unfortunatly I was recommended a place in Hutto (near Round Rock) for the install cause I have no idea what I'm doin and am scared of screwing it up. Well, the day I picked it up it rode horribly. I looked at it the next day in the driveway and the front driver side shock was just hanging there; bolt and bushing had fallen off. Got that fixed easy. Next, all the sway bar links appeared loose. Turns out no sleeves installed at all in the rear ones and no bolts/nuts tightened up front. Additionally, steering stabilizer installed backwards!!!! I don't think an alignment was done despite a promise otherwise. So, after many weeks of fixing stuff, being rideless, spending more money, or figuring it out myself, seems the front track bar is loose, again no sleeve in bushing, rear trac bar missing spacers, and alignement still needed. I spent $420.00 on install at this place near Round Rock (SBC Performance), they fixed the first issue with the bushing and drove to my house in the rain. Everything went south from there. When I discovered the links were loose, I called them and they said they were busy and would call back in 20 minutes. Of course they never did. I drove the 52 miles in my unsafe jeep.

On the other hand, since this issue began, I've had good customer service from Rough Country who have sent me bits and pieces of the kit to repair issues, the latest package they sent was free.

Does any one know enough about trac bars (?) to confirm my ride will improve once spacer replaced, sleeves installed? Since I've installed the sleeves in the rear sway bar links and installed the steering stabilizer correctly, the steering has improved greatly but still isn't quite there. I'm hoping repairing the deficiencies in the trac bar front and rear + alignment will solve it.

Unread 06-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
FF151DJG
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my first concern would be to punch someone in the piehole and take my $420 out of the installers welcome hole.
FF151DJG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
No Fear Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind. I am going to write to the local paper. I don't want any of my fellow service members to be ripped off like me.
Unread 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
lj_wil
ekorb mi

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would recommend grabbing your lift instructions, getting down under your rig and verify the entire install and fix yourself step by step.

Some pics
lj_wil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.