Problems with Idle RPM way too high. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Cjonck1774
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Problems with Idle RPM way too high.

I've had my Wrnagler TJ for about 4 years now, and when ever it gets cold here in TX my Idle RPM's are about 1500. In trying to fix this problem I haveput on a Brand new TPS and IAC on the throttle body. After doing so the jeep now starts off Idleing fine when the engine is cold but as it warms up it will climb to close to 2000 RMP when out of gear, and when its in gear and moving it will go back down to lower RPMs until you hit that red traffic ligh and it jumps up agian. I dont know if it effects anything but it also has a AEM intake that has been there since i bought it... Again this usually only happens during the winter. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem might still be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
tac426
2001 TJ Wrangler 

try unhooking the battery for 10 minutes or so, then hook it back up the computer may fix it as it goes through its startup sequence.
good luck
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Barcus
2000 XJ Cherokee 

check the bolts on your exhaust manifold and check for any leaks in your exhaust. if you have an exhaust leak, you will idle higher. typically, if any bolts are going to be loose, they are the two closest to the firewall. when I had your problem, they were only finger tight.

98 TJ Currie arms-RC 2.5 coils-RC 2.0 shocks-1.25 BL-TF rear track bar-custom bumpstops-mud-scratches-gas.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
colaman24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check for a vacuum leak, 2 to 3 lines come off the intake. If one gets old and cracks, it leaks am and will accelerate your rpms
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
guy.griffin

1997 XJ Cherokee 

also check injector seals. Get some throttle body cleaner spray around injectors while its running the idle drops as your spraying than you have bad seals

Tags
idle , rpm , throttle body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.