Problems with gauges dropping to zero and/or spiking and Jeep stalling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with gauges dropping to zero and/or spiking and Jeep stalling

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #16
greenglazier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i had a similar problem and i replaced the ground cables and battery cables as well fixed my prob. good luck

greenglazier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Battery is good. It also seems to happen more with cooler air. Not sure if this helps.
Sidewaize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Battery is good. I cleaned the throttle body and IAC, haven't noticed an issue today. Crossing my fingers.
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
private

My dad has had this problem with his wifes 98 4cyl.

Everytime he's fixed it he's replaced the crank shaft sensor. It would fix it for a while. It started again the other say and he replaced the 02 sensor and it made a HUGE difference.

He's waitin to see what it does.

I've also heard the cam shaft sensor can be a cause of this.

It's just almost like the engine goes out of time.
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok.. Another update. I cleaned the throttle body but I didn't take the Idle air controller off. It seems to have gotten much better. It's happened a couple times, but not near as frequent.
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #21
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Seems the problem is getting worse. Now at times, I'll go to pull away from a stop light and it will die. If I try to start the engine right away, it simply cranks over and over and over again. But if I wait 10-15 seconds, it will start right up. Then when I was driving down the highway at about 60, the engine stalled, and the RPM's dropped to about 900, with the pedal to the floor the most I could get out of it was about 1k. When I pulled over it idled really rough at about 3-500rpm. When I turned it off and turned it back on, it ran fine. Any help? This is driving me nuts.
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
Lokash
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I
Lokash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
Peezi
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It could be a short in your gauge cluster, you should take the whole cluster out and clean it, use rubbing ahcohol on the metal connectors, each end.

Otherwise, the last time I had someting similar to what you described I had low fluid in my transfer case due to a bad seal, ruined the output shaft bearing retainer and ate out the transfer case where the seal was. When was the last time you checked the fluid levels or had then replaced? Then again that was on a Daihatsu Rocky so totally different situation.
Peezi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Denz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the ground cable. Even if it looks good! Had the same problem on my 98 I replaced the ground cable, because I had tried everything else before that and the problem went away.
USN Jeep Club Hull # 104
Lake County Off road
Denz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #25
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the ground cables and the problem is still there. Not sure what else to do
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #26
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know exactly what your going through... Its going to be one of these three problems, Cam Shaft Sensor, which is causing your stalling, two crank shaft sensor which would cause a hard start which you dont have, and three bad terminals on the gauges, but this wouldnt cause the jeep to stall so what i would do is check to see if your getting vapor locked, this should only happen if your fuel lines in the engine compartment reach a temp of about 260 or above try checking these with an infra red temp sensor, if thats not the problem find someone who has a scan gauge 2 and have it set to scan codes. Now the problem with the 2000 Tj is that you can have an undelying problem with a sensor and you would never know it, this means that the sensor acts up causing the jeep to act up and throwing a code at the time of the problem but then the sensor fixes it self and the jeep runs fine and no code shows up... These problems you are encountering are all signs of a bad crankshaft and cam sensor. I can tell you the crankshaft sensor is easy to replace but the cam sensor i couldn't tell you but Im sure Jerry Bransford could.

My problem was the crank and cam sensors.

Let us know what you do.

Sensors are your jeeps fail safe, replace those and if you still have the problem you know its your computer.
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've changed the cam and Crank sensors already. Those were my first fixes. The cam sensor was the code that was thrown in the beginning and still gets thrown if I get it scanned quick enough.
Unread 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
14mpg
1999 WJ 

Did you replace the cam sensor yourself? I ask because I watched a guy change one for his first time and he took out the whole gear assembly that spins for the sensor; and putting that in just 1 degree off seriously messes up the timing... You may also have a problem with the wiring that goes to one of the position sensors, they are close to the block and can get melted and shorted. But your problem still sounds like a cam or crank sensor problem. I wouldn't go on to trying other things just yet...

Also, I doubt its a battery problem as your alternator would be able to supply enough energy as you're driving down the road at 60 mph...
14mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you break down the engine at all to change the cam?

And if you have already replaced them then why didn't you state that?

At this point you don't know what your doing so take it to the dealership pay the 100.00 dollars to have them tell you what is wrong with it, and you would have a running jeep and probably 300.00 dollars richer because you wouldn't be throwing parts at something you don't have a clue whats wrong with it.

My 2 cents take it or donate it
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After all this time, I finally figured out the cause. I have an Air Raid Intake and it seems some of the oil from the filter made it into the intake. After using intake cleaner and spraying the hole which leads to the MAP sensor, all problems stopped. It was a very very strange situation, but Every time the issue even slightly started up again, I cleaned the sensor and POOF! issue gone for six months. Thanks to everyone who submitted input. I hope my crazy frustrating experience helps someone else.

Tags
cluster , cranks , guage , idle , instrument , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.