Problems with gauges dropping to zero and/or spiking and Jeep stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with gauges dropping to zero and/or spiking and Jeep stalling

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Problems with gauges dropping to zero and/or spiking and Jeep stalling

Hello all,

I just started my vacation and I'm taking the jeep. Unfortunately it has started acting up severely and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

The problem:

The issue usually happens while driving down the highway, usually 50-60mph, while under light load such as a hill.

The tach suddenly drops to zero, then spikes back up to the proper rpm (This happens so fast it took me a while to notice it). There is a sudden clunk as the slack is taken out of the drivetrain. The speedometer quickly drops about 15mph then spikes back up to proper speed. The oil pressure gauge slowly drops to about 20psi, then slowly climbs back up to about 60psi.

All of this happens within about 1.5 seconds, just to put it into perspective.

I've also found that something similar happens at idle, at random times.

The tach will drop to 0, the engine will stall, and the oil pressure will drop to 0, then slowly pick back up. On rare occaisions, the jeep will die completely when this happens at idle.

Please help, nobody has been able to give me a solution.

Thank you,
Josh

Sidewaize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any codes showing up? Is this the same problem you had last year at this time?http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/en...d-help-584183/

On a side note do you work for the GPDPS? I have a few friends on the fire side.
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I sure do... Pretty cool to find you on here. Yeah, it's the same problem. But ive been able to figure more things out and really see what it's doing on this trip. And it's increased dramatically in frequency. So I would like to figure it out before whatever it is dies completely.

No codes so far. So I'm at a loss.
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try cleaning your battery terminals shinny clean.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There were two times on all my years of driving that my gauges went nuts. 1st was the tach in my 2001 dodge truck, turned out to be a crankshaft position sensor. Second was in my jeep. All the gauges started going haywire like it was possessed when I turned on the ignition key (don't think it would start though), it was a bad battery that time. Good luck.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

yeah it sounds like battery to me. Have a local parts store test it for you. If thats not it Ill check back in tomorrow while at work and see if there are any tsb's related to this or anything in ifix

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hope so... I'll get it check tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I cleaned the terminals sparkling clean, and had the battery tested. Battery is good. And i thought maybe i was fixed. but out on a drive last night and it acted up again. I'm at a loss Here.

Last edited by Sidewaize; 09-01-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, Update. I checked the battery, it's good. Scanned codes again. Nothing there. I have an after market alarm and thought maybe it was the starter kill. So I unplugged the alarm completely. Still doing it. Any ideas? I'm starting to think its the computer.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It feels like a brief stall..
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
stevefarling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My wife's XJ was doing the same thing a couple of years ago. I was at a loss and took it to the dealer. They said it was a ground wire. It seem like it might have been behind the engine to the firewall. I would check the main ground and any others you can find. I hope this helps.
stevefarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I checked all the grounds and they are tight. (The one on the firewall and the one on the engine block) Just stumbled again today. This is frustrating.
Unread 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How do your battery cables and Alt cable look? I would look at the main power cables really well.
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Sidewaize
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They look good. The jeep has 111000 miles on it though. Do you think it would be worth changing them out first?
Unread 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would still suspect the battery. I had this happen, although not while running; just when I tried to turn it over (gauges spiking, etc). When you had the battery checked, did they just check voltage, or amperage also? In my case, the voltage was fine, but amperage was too low.

If nothing else, I would suggest trying a similar battery from a friend, etc. and see if you have the same thing happen. If no problems, you know for a fact it is the battery.

Tags
cluster , cranks , guage , idle , instrument , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.