problem with my currie arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > problem with my currie arm

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

problem with my currie arm

I finally got around to making brackets to install theses

Then decided to check out the rest of my suspension to get ready for the up coming hunting season and found this

My control arm was canted all the way to one side at the frame and axle. I thought to myself "that's not right". Grabbed the pipe wrench and attempted to straighten it out. Thought maybe the last bump I hit jarred it sideways. That didn't work so I jacked up the jeep and tried again. Then I decided I would take the whole thing off and see if I couldn't get it straight. Of course not!!

I just put these things on about a month ago. I only have about 100 miles on them.

Any thoughts on why this happened? Just the thought of rebuilding them after only 100 miles just rips me apart. I don't know if its my fault or if they weren't put together right.

Any suggestions? Not sure why the picture of the seats decided to flip

photo.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Jeep Jedi in Training.
2ACR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Currie joints are very, very, very tight. That's why they're so good. Get a 12" 3/8 drive extension and put some man into them. You shouldn't have a problem centering the ball. In the future, don't worry about it. As long as both balls are oriented the same, you won't have an issue. If it bothers you, use a big pipe wrench. Otherwise, weld a couple flats onto the middle of the tube so you can easily use a wrench to rotate it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, Know I feel stupid. I just figured there would be a little give. It would make sense that packing them with grease would make them really really tight. The task now is getting both the ends to line up again. I already got one end sort of straight.

Thanks Imped.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Currie joints are very, very, very tight. That's why they're so good. Get a 12" 3/8 drive extension and put some man into them. You shouldn't have a problem centering the ball. In the future, don't worry about it. As long as both balls are oriented the same, you won't have an issue. If it bothers you, use a big pipe wrench. Otherwise, weld a couple flats onto the middle of the tube so you can easily use a wrench to rotate it.
x2... As long as the jam nut is doing its job and both joints are misaligned in the same direction then all is well. Don't bother centering them though they'll always tend find a home off center.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well after an 30 to 45 minutes of pushing beating and a few swear words, I got it put back in.

Thanks for all the reassurance.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
x2... As long as the jam nut is doing its job and both joints are misaligned in the same direction then all is well. Don't bother centering them though they'll always tend find a home off center.
Mine were off center after the first drive but they ride so nice I don't care how they look.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
Well after an 30 to 45 minutes of pushing beating and a few swear words, I got it put back in.

Thanks for all the reassurance.
There is no beating, punching or swearing if you follow a few simple rules when you install the Currie arms.

First, let the arm hang and install the frame side first and push the bolt through. Use the leverage of the arm to align the ball and center the body of the joint in the other mount. (don't try to install the swinging end, just lever the arm over until it lines up in the mount)

When you have the ball aligned in the frame end, pull the bolt and install the other end in the axle side and lever it over until the frame side is pretty lined up. You won't be able to slide it up in the mount, but you can approximate it pretty well.

Now pull the axle side, re-install the frame side, slide the bolt in and then swing the lower end up into the axle mount. If you get any resistance, stop and peek in there. The flat ends of the ball should be perfectly square to the mount and if they aren't, you will fight the install. If they are, it will slide right into place.
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
There is no beating, punching or swearing if you follow a few simple rules when you install the Currie arms.

First, let the arm hang and install the frame side first and push the bolt through. Use the leverage of the arm to align the ball and center the body of the joint in the other mount. (don't try to install the swinging end, just lever the arm over until it lines up in the mount)

When you have the ball aligned in the frame end, pull the bolt and install the other end in the axle side and lever it over until the frame side is pretty lined up. You won't be able to slide it up in the mount, but you can approximate it pretty well.

Now pull the axle side, re-install the frame side, slide the bolt in and then swing the lower end up into the axle mount. If you get any resistance, stop and peek in there. The flat ends of the ball should be perfectly square to the mount and if they aren't, you will fight the install. If they are, it will slide right into place.
That is exactly what I did. My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long. It just took longer and was more complicated than it was when they didn't have any grease in them the first time.
Jeep Jedi in Training.
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.
^ Ahahahaha, out of context quote of the year right there folks.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

And I thought this was funny..................

"Get a 12" 3/8 drive extension and put some man into them........... As long as both balls are oriented the same, you won't have an issue. If it bothers you, use a big pipe wrench."
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
^ Ahahahaha, out of context quote of the year right there folks.
A lot of sig worthy quotes in this thread!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
2ACR
That's Right I Support

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was worried about that. You guys crack me up. Just don't ask my wife about the issue.
Jeep Jedi in Training.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.